Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Sweetners

Help!!! I HATE artificial sweetners. I am so mad at myself right now...I just made a delicious rhubarb crumble...and had convinced myself that it needed a sweetner. So, for the first time since starting IP, I bought one...stevia. I am eating my Rhubarb crumble but HATE THE AFTERTASTE. I also drizzled it with WF maple syrup which may not be helping. UGH! It is good overall but just can't get past that fake sugar taste.

With that, does anyone have one that they feel tastes more like real sugar?

On another note, this was a CRAZY filling lunch. It takes awhile so I wouldn't have time to make it in the morning, but holy comolie I should be full for hours!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #2  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Splenda tastes more like sugar as it is made from sugar.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Truvia has the taste and texture of sugar in my opinion.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

About stevia- just need to point out that it is not an artificial sweetener, but rather an herb used as a sugar substitute(that is MUCH sweeter than sugar). When used to sugar or splenda, etc. it's very easy to use too much of it... usually resulting in a bitter taste. Also, not all stevia is the same, some brands impart a licorice aftertaste while others show little hint of it. If you chose stevia because of concerns over the creepy chemicals involved in sucralose and aspartame based artificial sweeteners, I'd say don't give up on stevia yet and experiment with different amounts of it(less is more!) and/or different brands.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I actually prefer Stevia to Splenda. I agree -- it takes much less Stevia to sweeten things.
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171.8/155.8/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170starting View Post
Truvia has the taste and texture of sugar in my opinion.
I much prefer Truvia, but it has 3 carbs. I told my coach that and she was surprised because they had all been told it was ok. I switch off between stevia and splenda.

Which stevia tastes the best?

Last edited by Wildcatinwa; 10-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Wildcatinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #7  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Default Sweetner

I prefer splenda - but if you never use anything, it is hard to adjust. I would cut back as much as possible and see if you can live without. for that meal though, you would need something.
Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #8  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Kind of ironic that you hate artificial sweeteners, yet you chose a diet program that is packed full of them.

I find the liquid Sweetleaf stevia to be a perfect sweetener, but as mentioned before, a little dab will do ya.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

I use individual packets of Truvia (which I had to buy off ebay since they only sell Stevia & Xlitol in finland. (As well as aspartame which I choose not to use because of recommendations from the IP program)

I didnt like Stevia... I bought a bag of the powder and did the same as you and thought the aftertaste was disgusting.

Until it was pointed out to me that I am only supposed to add a tiny, tiny amount. I am sure the individual packets of Splenda/ Stevia or the Stevia drops would have worked out better for me.

However, I did add Stevia to beaten egg whites for a failed experiment to try to re-create IP meranges (I wanted to make marshmallows for cocoa or a pavlova shell for pudding) and the ingredients turned my fluffy stiff whites into water. Not sure why, but I havent tried again with another sweetener to see if it would work any better.

Good luck... keep trying.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatinwa View Post
I much prefer Truvia, but it has 3 carbs. I told my coach that and she was surprised because they had all been told it was ok. I switch off between stevia and splenda.
I saw that too! My coach (who moved here from California) was the one who recommended Truvia to me.

I am assuming that since we technically only have 1 sweetener per day that the 3 carbs wasnt a major thing, but I still thought it was odd.

Anyone heard about the Truvia?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

What I heard about truvia its that it has 3 carbs, but the body for some reason doesn't absorb them. So they don't count. Hm, sounds fishy now that I write it down. I got the info right from the truvia page a little while ago. Maybe you can find more info there.
Kristen81985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen81985 View Post
What I heard about truvia its that it has 3 carbs, but the body for some reason doesn't absorb them. So they don't count. Hm, sounds fishy now that I write it down. I got the info right from the truvia page a little while ago. Maybe you can find more info there.
Sounds like you are right!
http://truvia.com/healthcare/popular-topics/

Quote:
One of the most frequently asked questions by carb conscious consumers is whether they should count the 3 grams of carbohydrate on the label. The answer is NO. Here's why…

The carbohydrate in Truvia® natural sweetener comes from erythritol – a natural sugar alcohol that is also found in grapes and pears – that also has zero calories. Erythritol passes through the body without being broken down for calories. As a result, it has no effect on blood sugar. Erythritol is used in Truvia® natural sweetener to evenly disperse rebiana to achieve uniform sweetness, similar to how dextrose and other suitable ingredients are used by other high intensity sweeteners to evenly disperse the sweetener.

Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol that is different from other sugar alcohols in two ways.

1. Erythritol is not broken down by the body, so it cannot provide calories or affect blood sugar. Other sugar alcohols can be broken down by the body to varying degrees. This means that the body can use them for calories. Erythritol is different, it provides zero calories.

2. Erythritol has excellent gastrointestinal tolerance. This is because most of the erythritol that is consumed (up to 90%) is absorbed from the small intestine. Once it is absorbed, it is no longer available to cause problems in the gut.

At TRUVIA.com our recipes include total calories, grams carbohydrate, grams erythritol, grams fiber, grams sugar. This practice allows you to subtract the grams of erythritol from the grams of total carbohydrate when you are count ing your grams of carbohydrate.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #13  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen81985 View Post
I'd suggest you lose the truvia and look for Stevita (a form of Stevia that dissolves easier) in a natural food store http://www.allstays.com/c/natural-fo...-locations.htm or Trader Joe's in Virginia. It's processed in that it contains "xylitol, extracted mainly from the bark of the birch tree, used as a flowing agent. Otherwise, consider pure stevia. You can even grow your own.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 159.8/142.2/135

Height: 5ft 2

Speaking of Stevia. I've been awake since 3am.I made peanut butter cookies last night with the following ingredients: 1 cup peanut butter,1/2 cup of stevia,1 egg,and 1 scoop of whey protein.Off course I had to try them I couldn't settle on 1 I had 3,(shame on me).

I went to bed at 10,didn't fall asleep til around 11.30,woke up at 1.20 again 2,finally wide awake with real bad taste of sweetness in my mouth and my stomach is just aching.

Do you think it could be from too much stevia in the cookies? I should have used may be just a 1/4 of the amount,what do you think.

Thank-you
Sheena
sheenasg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I use the individual little packets of Stevia. I don't like it as much as Splenda, but since my coach said no Splenda I'm getting use to the Stevia. I find the powder form a little bit sweeter than Splenda, but not a whole lot different. Years ago I tried the liquid Stevia and it was horrible. I find the powder form doable.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote