Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #1  
My friends call me Darrel

S/C/G: 414/314/215

Height: 6'2"

Default IP program changes for protein

Had my WI this morning. Only 4lb lost. Apparently with my measured lean body mass I'm not taking in enough protein. My coach said he was at an IP conference last week and said that they've issued new protein requirements 1 gram of protein per 2lbs of lean body mass. For me that's about 110g of protein per day. So he says the IP program now says 8oz of lean protein at the meal rather than 5 lean or 7 seafood. Also that I should be having 4 packets per day rather than 3. For women or those with less lean mass the fourth packet may not be required but the 8oz would be.
This is timely for me. I've been staying on program but have been discouraged by my low losses the last three weeks (5, 5, and 4). I've also felt a bit muscle tired and wanting to lift weights or something. Not lethargic or blah, just a feeling like my muscles were drained. He said this and the low weight loss were due to not enough protein.

He said these changes were IP program wide and not just for me or his clinic. Has anyone else heard this yet?
tykesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

This is not good news for me as I am not a huge meat eater and many days cannot get down the 5/7 ounces. Fish and steak are the easiest for me, but I really struggle with anything other than those two.

I weigh in tomorrow and hope that I can keep going like I have been. For some this will be awesome...but not so much for others...

Congrats on your 4lbs though!!! That is awesome!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #3  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesplace View Post
Had my WI this morning. Only 4lb lost. Apparently with my measured lean body mass I'm not taking in enough protein. My coach said he was at an IP conference last week and said that they've issued new protein requirements 1 gram of protein per 2lbs of lean body mass. For me that's about 110g of protein per day. So he says the IP program now says 8oz of lean protein at the meal rather than 5 lean or 7 seafood. Also that I should be having 4 packets per day rather than 3. For women or those with less lean mass the fourth packet may not be required but the 8oz would be.
This is timely for me. I've been staying on program but have been discouraged by my low losses the last three weeks (5, 5, and 4). I've also felt a bit muscle tired and wanting to lift weights or something. Not lethargic or blah, just a feeling like my muscles were drained. He said this and the low weight loss were due to not enough protein.

He said these changes were IP program wide and not just for me or his clinic. Has anyone else heard this yet?

First of all, what do you mean by discouraged by your low losses!!! Are you serious? -5 and -4 are great numbers, so keep up the good work.

Second, yes I have heard that the new IP sheet says 8 oz for all kind of protein, unlike the old one that used to be 5 for lean meat and 7 for fish.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #4  
IP Start Date Oct. 15/11

S/C/G: 270.3 / 189.8 / 160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

I started last week Saturday (first WI tomorrow), my sheet says 5-8 oz of meat (all meats) a day, it also does not have the note stating "no restricted snacks" for the 1st 2 -3 weeks of the program (I think I saw that on Wuv's sheet yesterday). As for the extra packet, I was told if I felt dizzy/shaky then to take an extra packet for the first week

Congrats on the LOSS!!
Angelique06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
First of all, what do you mean by discouraged by your low losses!!! Are you serious? -5 and -4 are great numbers, so keep up the good work.
I should say low losses relative to what I'm capable of losing. My lean body weight is 216 and my BMR is 3100 calories. Coach says with that I should be able to get 6 or 7 per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpnme View Post
This is not good news for me as I am not a huge meat eater and many days cannot get down the 5/7 ounces. Fish and steak are the easiest for me, but I really struggle with anything other than those two.
I sent my coach an email asking if I can add 2 or 3 egg whites. They are 3.6g of protein each. That might be an alternative for you to adding more meat. A couple of egg whites blended with water before adding the omelette or pancake power helps to fluff those up a bit.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202

Height: 5'3"

When I started the program last month my daily protein was 8oz of lean meat. I also noticed that artichokes were not allowed anymore when they were allowed before.
MaryBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/155/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:

I started 4 weeks ago and my sheet and coach said 5-8oz of lean meat each day. I was told if it was chicken eat 8oz and if it was ground beef then 5oz.
suzih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #8  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I eat my 8ozs no matter what it is....lol....I like my meat!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #9  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

I've been on 4 packets and 8oz of meat since I started (Aug 11). We had some concerns with muscle loss but part of that is also just the scale. However, at her recommendation I have added 1/3 cup of egg whites every morning and the muscle loss has reversed and showed gains. I've seen losses range from 3-5 pounds for those three weeks so I'm still happy that I'm losing and gaining.

Don't try to compare your 1st week weight loss to the other, if you are losing 4-5 you are doing great! Adding in the extra protein might show a lower scale loss but it's healthier. This is one of the reasons I opted for this diet vs. others, I had the trust that my Doc's office would be watching these things to make sure I was healthy in the long run, not just the short run.

Like Wuv I like my meat, if or when they try to get me down to 6oz that would be something we'll talk about.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #10  

Coach just replied back. No problem to add egg whites to the day's menu. I'm trying to see if I can achieve the new protein levels without having to buy that fourth packet. Each one is 10-15grams I think. 2 egg whites is 7.2g so maybe I can do that sometimes and some alternative bars to get another 15g protein per day.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #11  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Coach just replied back. No problem to add egg whites to the day's menu. I'm trying to see if I can achieve the new protein levels without having to buy that fourth packet. Each one is 10-15grams I think. 2 egg whites is 7.2g so maybe I can do that sometimes and some alternative bars to get another 15g protein per day.
Sounds like you have it all figured out, I would do the alternative instead of buying that other packet, MUCH cheaper for sure
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #12  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
DITTO!!!
This is what I look forward to EVERYDAY!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 171.8/155.8/145

Height: 5'8"

tykesplace, congratulations on your losses!!

I am working up the nerve to go to phase 2 next week and it says 8 oz for lunch and another 8 for dinner..holy cow! I double checked with my coach and she said "Yep, and many people continue to loose" ...hmmm I will believe it when I see it
Wildcatinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #14  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post

lol.... I like my meat too!
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #15  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Default protein

I was told by my coach that if I felt that was too much for a meal that I could split it up - maybe add some to my salad at lunch and have the remainder for dinner. This seems to be working better for me.
Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote