South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Default South Beach eating at Japanese Restaurant

Hello All,
I am hoping for some help as what I can eat at a Japanese restaurant that would be SBD-P2 friendly. Am I stuck with only raw fish and miso soup?

Normally I would opt out of going somewhere to eat that is not in compliance with my diet but that is not an option this time as my whole family is going in support of my aunt who has breast cancer and is scheduled to have her double-mastectomy surgery next week. I will be darned if I do not go because of my diet... so I thought I'd come here and ask for help.

Any suggestions will be welcomed, thanks so much for any help!

Last edited by BritMW; 10-19-2011 at 01:56 PM.
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

That's really difficult because a lot of things are fried (tempura) or are cooked in sauces that probably contain sugar (teriyaki)... Sashimi is safe because its just fish. Or you can ask if they can sub brown rice for anything with white rice (sushi or as a side dish).
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Yeah, the sugar seems hard to avoid. I was thinking steamed spinach (SO GOOD in a Japanese restaurant, with sesame seeds and a soy-based glaze - not sure if there is sugar in it but it doesn't taste like it), seaweed salad, brown-rice sushi (hopefully they have it!). I guess you just have to ask about the sugar in all of the sauces...

I thought I remembered a thread about this topic but I couldn't find it. All I found was this thread from 2005 but it might contain some things to look for on the menu.

Good luck! And best wishes for your aunt.

Last edited by EmmaD; 10-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

and edamame, salty but so good.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have gone in ahead of time, looked at the menu and asked my questions so I would arrive with a plan. Sometimes it's difficult to ask questions when you're with a group of people. Our Japanese restaurant always has a healthy salmon option which I get with sauteed veggies and a salad-dressing on the side. Yum that sounds good!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

Do they have hibachi there? You can have them cook you up some chicken steak or shrimp with some garlic and soy sauce and then get some steamed veggies.
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

will they have Teppanyaki (the large grill where they cook in front of you)? If so, I will get the miso soup and salad that come with it then ask for no fried rice, extra veggies and usually get the chicken and shrimp. I also say no butter (the oil is ok in my book because it's gotta cook on SOMETHING). All the sauce comes on the side. It's a good way to go!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I definitely feel prepared now.

I believe I have asked for brown rice at this particular place before and they didn't have it.

They do have the grill tables but I don't believe we will be sitting at one.

I will eat an apple and pb before I go and just eat light (salad, soup and sashimi) while there.

Thanks again!!!
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote