Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Ketosis importance?

I am almost 3 weeks in and cannot get that dang stick to turn pink at all. I looked around online and found so much conflicting info about carb counts to get in ketosis- some said around 20, 40 even 100. I'm not counting, just following the green sheet. Should I worry? I am not losing theone cup of promised 3 per week, and I'm on plan except for weighing vegetables and coffee on the early morning. I did lose inches at the last weigh-in. I don't want to obsess but I guess I am. WI tomorrow. What is anyone else's understanding and experience with ketosis? Thanks!
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #2  
Started March 26, 2011

S/C/G: 328/228/199

Height: 5'9"

I've been on program since late March and my stick has never turned pink. Always Negative. I told my counselor I felt like I was failing something. She just laughed and said that Negative is good too.
Rzrbackcandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

If it helps, I've been on the program for a little over a month and I have NEVER gotten even a trace amount! Nothing! I was upset about it a few weeks ago, but the counselor told me that it was just one of three indicators (the others being weight loss and inches) and I was doing fine in the other two... I may never hit it, but as long as the scale agrees and doesn't stall too bad, I'll be fine with it.

I think they recommended me drink an extra HNS a day to see if that brought it up, but it didn't so we just don't worry about it too much! Hang in there!
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/229/180

The reason the stick turns pink is due to an enzyme that is secreted during this process. However not all individuals will produce the enzyme being tested with the stick.
Beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #5  

I never once had a positive test ..... of course my center didn't even carry the strips .... don't worry about it ... if you're working the program, it will work. You will lose more weight up front .... but by the end of your program, the average weight loss (over the whole course) will more than likely be between 1.5 to 3 # per week. I averaged 3-5 at the start, but by the end the average was 2.01. Stay the course!!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #6  

If you are not in ketosis are you losing muscle? Anyone know?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/148/130

Height: 5'3"

I have two friends doing my diet with me and they have both never had anything on their strips. Interestingly enough, our last body comp, the third one, they gained 3-5% body fat mass, and lost up to 10lbs of good muscle mass! I am unsure of what all that means this far into their process. I found the question of losing muscle mass during non-ketosis interesting. If anyone knows the answer I'd be interested.
I think even if some people produce ketones in excess they are flushed out by lots of water drinking and it also matters what time of day it is. The morning is usually higher in ketones and afternoon lower.
InfiinityFreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #8  
Started program June 2010

I have never had a trace on the ketosis strip either. They would just tell me that was good. I was worried about it too, but I've lost 95 pounds, so I don't guess it matters too much!
Junie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #9  

Infinitiyfreshman,

I hate to tell you this but that is VERY bad news for your friend. She needs to educate herself on the role of muscle in metabolism. With less muscle, she is setting herself up to regain quickly once she starts increasing calories for maintnence. This is my worry- and why I keep asking this question. They say that is the reason we have to drink all those protein supplements - so we dont lose muscle. I'm pretty sure we are bound to lose some ... but 10 pounds is a lot. You didnt say how much that was of total weight lost, so I am going to hope its a small overall percentage!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #10  

I was NEVER in ketosis and never lost muscle mass. Each person's body is different and our center even stopped carrying the strips because of the unreliable results and the fact that unless you're doing the strip first thing in the morning, it doesn't matter anyway. Also, it's discouraging for people who are following the plan to the letter and never have pink strips. Don't worry about the strips!!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 167/148/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post
Infinitiyfreshman,

I hate to tell you this but that is VERY bad news for your friend. She needs to educate herself on the role of muscle in metabolism. With less muscle, she is setting herself up to regain quickly once she starts increasing calories for maintnence. This is my worry- and why I keep asking this question. They say that is the reason we have to drink all those protein supplements - so we dont lose muscle. I'm pretty sure we are bound to lose some ... but 10 pounds is a lot. You didnt say how much that was of total weight lost, so I am going to hope its a small overall percentage!
I know I agree that it is really bad. On average for every 10 lbs of true stored body fat that is lost your supposed to lose approx 1 lb of muscle mass. That is typical. My one friend in particular is at about 11.5 lbs lost, she had gained 4-5 lbs of muscle mass the last body comp due to exercising strenously. Now she went in and has lost that all plus more. In on months time. I am worried to, I think I'm going to have her ask her doctor about it.
InfiinityFreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #12  

So, InfinityF, this makes me think that even if those Big 3 do make you lose faster, you would probably be losing muscle, so in the end it would not be worth it. When will we learn that there is no quick fix, no magic pill???