Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Jogging stroller for 4 year old??

Does anyone put their 4 year old (or older child) in a jogging stroller??
My DD has not been in ANY stroller in over a year.. maybe longer!
For some reason I am uncomfortable with the idea of putting her in one? I have no idea why, I just worry that she's "too big" now...
But I REALLY want to start jogging and going on really long walks. I guess I am looking for someone to tell me it's ok! I don't know why I am having an issue with this.
I am not sure if she will fit into the jogging stroller I have, it's more setup for babies. So, I might have to buy a new one....

My DH works 7 days a week, two jobs. He is never home to watch her and I don't have a sitter. I don't want to hire a sitter to watch her while I run... She's only ever had a baby sitter once in 4 years!

My other option is paying $29 a month for LA Fitness and use the treadmill while she is in the kids care center...
But I'd like to save money..

Sorry, thinking out loud!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

Height: 5'8"

There is nothing wrong with putting a 4 year old in a stroller!! Plenty of parents do it. My parents have pictures of me being pushed around Disney World in a stoller at the age of 5, lol. It's definitely more practical for you to use a stroller rather than to spend extra money on a sitter or to go to the gym.
noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/136/healthy&happy

Height: 5'8"

I have a 4 year old too and when I want to run with him I use our bike trailer, which converts to a jogging stroller. (I mainly use it in stroller mode.) We have a Burley, a brand which is pretty expensive new, but we got ours used for about $150. I also feel self-conscious about putting my kiddo into a stroller now that he's big; one of the nice things about the Burley is that it's hard for other people to see in, so it's not like they know you're running with a bigger kid Our "stroller" holds kids up to 100lbs, I think.
Hikermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #4  

All you have to do is check the weight limit on the stroller. I agree with Hikermc, the Burley is nice because you can use it behind your bike and for jogging. Be sure to put a bike helmet on the kid when behind the bike.

Do your research and pick one you're comfy with. I spent many years behind a jog stroller while my kids were little. It's an excellent work out and fun mom and me time if you go to a destination for the child (like ice cream or toy store or preschool).

Btw, check your local churches or YMCA. Many offer preschool or adventure alley babysitting a couple hours a day.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote