Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/186/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Help me stop cheating!!

OK, so I've been cheating for the last 2 weeks or so. I don't know why I sabotage myself this way. I've done it every time I do a "diet" of any sort. Why is that? I start out strong, and totally focused. Then I say "oh, just this once" and eat something not OP. Next thing I know, every meal is OFF plan! I'm so frustrated with myself. I see everyone on here having success and it motivates me for 1/2 a day or so...then something comes up, like a birthday party or having to eat out...and I give in! I just need a kick in the head

What keeps you going? How do you say no each day to whatever your temptations are? Do you get upset that others can "eat what they want and stay skinny"? I have issues with that. I look at everyone who is skinny and say "why not me, why do I have to work so hard"?

Sorry, I think I just needed to come clean on my cheating and vent a little! Thanks for listening Sorry if this is redundant--I can't seem to get back OP right now!

Nichole
naschlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

One thing that helps me not cheat is a food journal. I'm actually terrible at journaling, so I only do it when I start to get off track. It shows me how bad I'm doing, or if I'm actually not doing too terribly. But for me, just doing that for a couple of days can help.

As for looking at people who can eat whatever they want...I don't know why that happens, but I think they don't eat as much as I thought they did. I've sort of gotten past that by now. Looking back, they ate "whatever they wanted" but I ate excessively, and I had to figure out what the difference was. Besides, it doesn't matter what the other people do, all that matters is what you do. For example, I've been running since May and run a few 5Ks since then. I'm even (maybe foolishly) training for a 10K on Thanksgiving. During the last 5K I ran, I can't tell you how many skinny people I blew past. There were these skinny girls who have bodies I'd kill for gasping for breath and walking after the first mile because they couldn't do any more. So whatever they have that keeps them skinny, it doesn't make them perfect.
(I'm going to have to come back and proofread this tomorrow because I'm not 100% sober right now. Hope I didn't type something that didn't make sense!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
S/C/G: 224/192/145
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/148/130

Height: 5'3"

One huge thing that prevents me from eating off program is the fact that I paid a nice sum of money for this lifestyle change. I am a work-a-holic and every bit of money I save up goes toward school loans. So, for me the fact that every bad thing I eat cost me more money...I say its not worth it.
Also, when you see something you want to eat bad...take 20-30 mins to THINK about the sequences and if you really want to eat it. I have done that before about ice cream. I ended up eating something on program and felt empowered b/c I made a good choice and one more step to my future. This isn't just a diet it is a lifestyle change. It is important to remember that.

As for skinny people.... I used to be one of those ppl. I saw myself who worked extremely hard to keep my figure, through extreme exercise and anorexia. I feel so proud that I am working hard at this change now and it is all a healthy way. I also had many friends that were extremely thing and ate whatever they wanted ... Much like MusicalAstronaut said, many of those girls are out of shape. Lots of my friends were unhealthy, one had chrones disease. Some had image issues. Many of my skinny friends didn't ever work out and have saggy skin/cottage cheese thighs.
Next time you see that skinny girl just ask yourself... was she once a big girl who works hard to maintain her figure like I do....eating what she wants but excercises to the extreme? Does that girl have health problems that wont let her gain weight? Or maybe they are blessed truely and eat whatever they want and whent hey reach age 35.... they will start packing on the lbs....

I hope you find yourself back on track. I see you doing well.
InfiinityFreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #4  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Cheating...I relate to that temptation quite often, unfortunately!

I think my progress has been a bit slower because of it....For me, I can't feel deprived or I make poor choices. I give myself permission to have a treat from time to time...mainly because I think I deserve it (LOL) for my daily efforts of being mostly OP. I know that we shouldn't use food as a reward, but I would rather have my "treat" occasionally than to all of sudden splurge due to feeling deprived...and guess what? We are all human and this does happen.

It sounds so much like you feel deprived and when comparing yourself to others, that makes matters worse. I don't know why some struggle with weight and others don't. That is life....we all have our challenges...I have a cousin that is so thin...always has been, and eats like crazy. However, she recently had a "boob job" due to a very flat chest....well, I am heavy, but at least have BOOBS!!! LOL

Embrace "you." Persevere knowing that you are worth every effort you make to get healthier I will try to follow this advice, also!

Tami
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5'0"

Have you tried MRC's appetite suppresant/cravings inhibitor? Really helped me not crave the stuff I shouldn't have.
PamBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

I read somewhere that it can help to reframe cheats as choices, and the thing to do is ask yourself "will this choice help or hinder my progress?" Its about OWNING your food decisions rather than feeling like a victim (like I was this weekend when I ate birhtday cake I didnt even want...)

If social settings cause you to go off program to the point that you are not seeing the results you want, then why dont you consider minimizing them for a couple weeks - not forever, just long enough to refocus so you can get some momentum going? Spend a weekend planning and cooking some stuff for the week ahead rather than go out. If you want this, put some energy into it- it won't happen if you dont set up your life to make it happen.

If you could give yourself just a couple weeks of OP eating, you might find you are so thrilled with the results that your enthusiasm for the program will return. Good luck!
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #7  

try to think of each food choice one at a time .... it may seem less overwhelming. get your first morning HNS out the night before and drink it as soon as you get up (and make sure and eat your breakfast within 1 hour). If you can just get through the first meal, you may feel better. And if you get through 3 days, the cravings will disappear. It gets easier. We all have our struggles, just keep on trying -- we never truly lose unless we stop trying. Hang in there.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/186/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you ladies for all the words of encouragement and help. I woke up this morning thinking "it's a choice, not a cheat"! I have to realize that if I keep living in the moment of what might taste good, I'll never get to my final destination. The food will always be there...but I don't want to be doing this the rest of my life--meaning being down on myself and making bad decisions.

Musical-I do know a lot of "skinny-fat" people. They fit in the small clothes but don't have strength to do anything but look good! I need to remember that next time. I can lift a lot, work on the farm with my husband and do things a lot of women can't. I need to be proud of that!

Infiinity-What you said reminded me of when I dropped over 70 lbs. about 8 years ago. I had people commenting on my appearance all the time (part of my problem, I'm sure!) But what most of them didn't realize is I worked my butt off, literally, to get there! I wasn't born that way and I had to work hard to stay there. I only managed it for a little over a month though, because I was just too skinny to maintain. I was eating, but not a lot! What we see on the outside is almost never what's true on the inside.

Tamikl-A lot of my issues are with self-confidence and worth. I'm not really sure why, but I struggle with it A LOT! It's frustrating, to say the least. I'm actually going to see what I can do about that this week. Make some phone calls, see what my option are...get help! I've decided I DO deserve to feel good about myself and all the negative self-talk is not healthy for me.

I too have tried to do this with no "cheats" or bad choices. But I do feel deprived and cheated sometimes when I make that good choice but know I don't get what everyone else is having. Guess I just need to get over that!! If I keep making the bad choices to join in with everyone else, I'll just be like most of the world nowadays--lazy and overweight!

Pam-which suppressants are you talking about? Seems like they have so many to choose from! I did do the Big 3 for my first month, and didn't feel so hungry all the time. That's probably part of the problem...I didn't buy them again because of the $$$! Now I think it might not be a bad investment

Camaswa-I think I was in overload this week/weekend. I had SO much going on and was SO stressed with it all! I hate when public/get-togethers all run together. With no down time to recoup, it's just one hit after another!

Like I said earlier, I woke up thinking about what you said and it was running over and over in my mind. Great huh?! Thank you for sharing.

Deb-I like what you said about having it ready first thing in the morning. I've not done that yet. I think a big thing is not going into the center very often either. I live 45 minutes away, so I planned to go once a week. That has not happened so keeping up with the counselors and such isn't there. I need to make that a priority. They are having an open house tomorrow so I do plan to go and get stocked up on HNS's and supps again.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to comment on each of your thoughts. Thank you again I feel like I can do good today and stick with my plan. I'm going to eat breakfast now and get out the cookbook to see what I can make for dinner.

Have an awesome day everyone!
naschlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #9  

Height: 5'0"

naschlim, yes, the appetite suppresant/cravings inhibitor is one of the "Three Musketeers". Phentermine, I think? They have two. One is better for cravings but I can't take it because of my blood pressure.

I remember reading somewhere in the forum that you can find appetite suppresents online cheaper, maybe at GNC. Maybe someone who does that can tell you where.
PamBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #10  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamBlue View Post
naschlim, yes, the appetite suppresant/cravings inhibitor is one of the "Three Musketeers". Phentermine, I think? They have two. One is better for cravings but I can't take it because of my blood pressure.

I remember reading somewhere in the forum that you can find appetite suppresents online cheaper, maybe at GNC. Maybe someone who does that can tell you where.
it really helps when you try some new recipes and new foods so you don't feel deprived. it's silly but i love the vanilla creme protein w/ diet orange soda - it's like a dream cicle. i look forward to my cinnamon toast and scrambled eggs w/ cheese in the am. we had tacos made from ground turkey tonight - it's all so good and i don't feel deprived. i took one tiny corn tortilla, covered w/ taco meat (4 oz) and piled high the green onions, lettuce, jalepenos.... these posts here and the link to the recipes are excellent! good luck. i'm setting myself a new goal to remotivate myself. let's just take one day at a time, we can do this! we are in control :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote