View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Esofia

S/C/G: 132/129.8/110

Height: 4'11"

Come on, you know better than to overdo it like that! Though I know how incredibly frustrating this illness is, we all do stupid things from time to time. But you really can't treat yourself as if you're a healthy person and take on the same challenges, or at least all of the same challenges. On the other hand, if you consider the level of exercise you've already accomplished relative to your level of disability, I'd say that you have easily outperformed all of the people who claim that silly sweatshirt several times over. It's a pity we don't get gold stars for disability-hindered fitness achievements, eh. Although in our cases, we should also be getting gold stars for resisting the urge to overdo it! Right now, don't even think about exercising tomorrow, go and rest for all you're worth. Pushing past your limits like that is going to have one h*ll of a kickback.

To the people encouraging Kaplods to complete this challenge: please go back and reread her post. She has one of the most disabling medical conditions in existence, one that is specifically worsened by overexertion (and at some stages of the illness, "overexertion" means having a shower or even less), and she described in detail how this level of overexertion makes her worse for days on end. I've got the same condition. Well, I've got CFIDS/ME and have newly been told that I probably have fibromyalgia, and Kaplods has fibro and I think also CFIDS (memory's shot, I'm afraid); the conditions overlap widely and are almost certainly related.

Believe me, we are both raring to go and would dearly love to be able to exercise more. We have also both had years of people encouraging us to overdo it, and in my case, the case of every single person with CFIDS that I've talked to, and as far as I remember in Kaplods' case as well (apologies if I'm misremembering or speaking out of turn, hon), we've made ourselves a great deal worse through years of overdoing it. The severity of CFIDS (not sure about fibro) runs all the way through minor disability, then not being able to work, not being able to leave your house, not being able to get out of bed, up to death in the worst cases, so this is a serious matter. I do realise you meant well, it just happened not to be the right approach.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote