South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Default First weigh-in --> I gained!?!?

Is that normal?? I'm up 7oz from yesterday & stayed OP all day. Is it just my body adjusting?? Ugh - trying to lose weight sucks.
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Do you mean you started yesterday and are weighing everyday? If you are sticking to plan the weight will come off. I am sure these ladies will have some more advice for you but a good way to get some feedback is to post what you have been eating throughout the day...

Looks like you have been doing great though! COngrats on your loss so far!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

Ah, I just saw your other post... Hide that scale for a week and focus on your food! Then weigh
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #4  

Ok, I can do that...I think. LOL I'm a compulsive weigh-everyday-er, so this will be a challenge, but better for my mental stability lol Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #5  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

LOL, I am very thankful I am not a compulsive weigher, I have seen my body shift up to 9lbs because of water weight! 7oz is so easy to gain/lose depending on what you have eaten. Sodium has a lot to do with it, also beginning to exercise will cause you to retain water... could be many things... Just remember to focus on your health I know it is easy to let that number on the scale control you but it's not worth it! lol
Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #6  

If you can't handle these normal fluctuations in body weight, only weigh once a week.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #7  

Well, upon more reading, I totally F'd the whole day up. I don't get this diet...it is so bizarre to me. So, the gain was all on me for not understanding.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I resist calling any one day movement on the scale "a gain", in fact, I don't. I do weigh everyday (only once!) and record my weight on a graph (provided by livestrong). I find that my daily weigh in's are up and down and all around BUT the general trend is down and I see that when I look at my graph 1-2 weeks at a time. In addition to many of the factors mentioned which affect the scale-hormones and stress and even the amount of sleep you had can push it temporarily one way or the other.

Even if you "f-ed" SBD up on your first day you most probably did not "gain" weight.

Wishing you the best!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

I too have been going up and down and like many of the ladies suggested I'm going to go to the once a week. Water, period, nuts, hormones, digestion, etc all come into play. I'll be fighting to step on that scale in the morning but we can do it!!
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #10  
I think I can...

I weigh 3x a week and find this reasonable and usually the scale goes in the right direction.
It can fluctuate based on what you eat. Nuts are fine with me but beans always have me up a few ounces the next day. Don't worry I'm sure it's temporary and make sure you're getting enough fluid.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

What do you think you "messed up" on? Post a few menus and maybe we can help you where you are confused?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

No matter what diet you're on, it's important to remember that the body doesn't work on a 24 hour schedule. You can't usually draw any conclusions about yesterday from today's weight. There just isn't a one-to-one relationship, because there are so many factors (most of them not on a 24 hour cycle) that can contribute to weight fluctuations.

It can take up to three days for food to be completely digested (and until "the end" of the process in the toilet, it's going to appear as a gain on the scale).

Then there's also monthly hormonal fluctuations and the fact that illnesses, injuries and other issues that can affect the body's water needs.

For example, I hurt myself at the gym on Sunday, and as I've seen many times before, I've gained a few pounds of water over the past few days (the body uses extra water in muscle repair). I haven't eaten enough to account for the gain, and it's been rather obvious that I've been drinking a lot more than I have been peeing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote