Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #1  
Restarted IP 4/29/15

S/C/G: 184/163.6/130 Date:7/14/15

Height: 5'2" Mints: 4/27: 45/39/45.5 6/1: 44/37.5/43.5 6/28: 43/36.5/43.5

Unhappy New: Terribly worried 'bout getting a headache

Hello all!

I'm new to this board and have a scheduled IP consult tomorrow.

I've done a lot of research and passed on MediFast because of its ingredients.

I'm super migraine prone, have had them for years. Now I get them every month a couple days before my period.

They went away for a short time when I first stopped eating wheat of any kind, but have recently returned.

Did you have headaches when you started? Is there a way to avoid them?

Really want to do this program, but am super nervous about headaches!
flvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

First week can be tough for some people (not going to lie!), I had headaches from the withdraw of sugar/carbs. My mom had a great first week and had no symptoms. Sometimes you can get dizzy and headaches if you don't have your salt.

Do you get any aura's (like optical aura's) before you get your migraine? I have had them and it's my que to pop a migraine pill to help with the migraine. It helps a lot, I still get a headache but it's not a migraine.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #3  
Restarted IP 4/29/15

I've read some on this board about the salt.

Prior diets have definitely left me dizzy and when I tried Atkins, I would shake at night.

Oh brother - I guess I'll just have to address all this w/ my coach tomorrow and see what she says.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #4  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Taking your sea salt should help with headaches, but you may very well get one just from the shock to your system with no carbs and sugar. It will be temporary and if it gets really bad up your water and take extra sea salt. It really works.

I am on Day 2 of no Diet Pepsi and I usually drink 3 to 4 a day. I have a headache, but it helped that I take 1 Excederin Migraine in the morning to ward off a severe withdrawal from my caffeine deficit. I also took my sea salt!
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

We are on more supplements then perhaps someone on Atkins (not a qualified statement - in case I offend anyone). I did feel shaky the first week and just physically exhausted. I should have had an extra protein (could have had two a day that first week due to my weight - don't know why I didn't) It did go away within the 5 days.

Agree with carlasherea, up your salt and water.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvamp View Post
I've read some on this board about the salt.

Prior diets have definitely left me dizzy and when I tried Atkins, I would shake at night.

Oh brother - I guess I'll just have to address all this w/ my coach tomorrow and see what she says.
I used to get 1 bad migraine a month...sometimes more.

I had to stop Atkins because of the headaches and problems with restless leg syndrome when I went to bed. It was a pity because it was working well... but after that failure it took me a year to get around to trying Ideal Protein because of that fear.

My first week of Ideal Protein I had bad headaches, but not migraines. The salt helped, but also my coach had me eating 5 packets a day (I weighed 312lbs). When I tried to skip a packet, the headache came... so there was a reason for it.

After the first week, I have not have a headache nor have I had any migraines in 3 months. I think the hardest part was getting past the toxin releases at the beginning and making such to get both water and eat enough.

I truly believe that because this diet allows the body to heal itself, that it has positively helped me to stop having migraines. I dont have anything to back this up with except my own experience, but am happy for the change.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Hello all!

I'm new to this board and have a scheduled IP consult tomorrow.

I've done a lot of research and passed on MediFast because of its ingredients.

I'm super migraine prone, have had them for years. Now I get them every month a couple days before my period.

They went away for a short time when I first stopped eating wheat of any kind, but have recently returned.

Did you have headaches when you started? Is there a way to avoid them?

I have migraines. My first week was bad but my meds controlled them, but I did have to have meds for about 5 days. But I haven't had a migraine since the end of week 1.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/138/135

I have had headaches and dizziness from time to time, but extra salt has helped. I have also been exercising lots- maybe too much for the calorie amounts. In the beginning having a little extra salt made the headaches go away in minutes!!! It was amazing. But I never got migraines... so this info may be totally useless to you! lol

The headaches and dizziness are minor in comparison to the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and feeling fat all the time! Overall I feel great and IP is worth every difficult expensive minute!!
idealamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I had a real nasty headache at the end of the first day that lasted till the following morning. Tried salt and it didn't help. I finally gave up and took some Tylenol. I really haven't had a headache since and I am almost at the one month mark.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #10  
Restarted IP 4/29/15

Thanks for all the replies. I have a medicine phobia, so I don't take headache stuff. I wonder if the more sugar/carbs you are used to eating has a correlation to headaches?

Looking forward to my intro today, I'm going for it!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #11  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Hello all!

I'm new to this board and have a scheduled IP consult tomorrow. I've done a lot of research and passed on MediFast because of its ingredients.

IP is very similar to Medifast, so I'm not sure you will be happy with it. I lasted 2 1/2 weeks and finally quit due to constant headaches. Narrowed it down to the high amounts of AceK in most IP products. Proceed with caution.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

It is funny that this post has came about. I actually gained my weight (60 lbs) from an experimental migraine medicine. In two years, I went from 125 to 185. Having been smaller all my life, it was devastating. I took myself off the medication about a year ago, but have only lost about 10 of the 60 lbs. Then a friend, who is an MD, told me about IP. She really thought that it might be the shock my system needed.

I will tell you...I had an EXCRUTIATING headache the first night...migraine like where I got sick and was nauseas. Since that night...HEADACHE/MIGRAINE free for the first time in...most of my life!!! My bloodpressure is great, my cholesterol is awesome and most importantly...I FEEL AMAZING and still have 23 lbs to go!!!

My mom was initially concerned with the diet and how healthy it actually was. My words to her was, Mom, the fat that I am carrying around and that my heart is fighting against everyday is going to kill me much quicker than any diet will (barring pills ). I think anyone who is overweight has an obligation to get the weight off...one way or another. For themselves and for those they love!!!

Good luck with your decision...this one has been amazing for me!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

As I mentioned I also get migraines. I am lucky that the meds work for me with no side effects. Before I was on meds I would miss up to two work days a month due to migraines, now they are gone within an hour of taking the meds and a coffee.
I found days 3 & 4 on IP brutal, couldn't keep anything down, couldn't get out of bed till my meds kicked in. I am sure it is sugar etc withdrawals triggering the migraine. But once I got past those two days I felt great and have not had a migraine since.
Some sinus headaches like anyone else but as any migraine suffer knows that is a whole different thing.

I hope your first week goes well and the migraines disappear with the plan.

Last edited by patns; 10-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #14  
Restarted IP 4/29/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpnme View Post
I will tell you...I had an EXCRUTIATING headache the first night...migraine like where I got sick and was nauseas. Since that night...HEADACHE/MIGRAINE free for the first time in...most of my life!!! My bloodpressure is great, my cholesterol is awesome and most importantly...I FEEL AMAZING and still have 23 lbs to go!!!
Wow, here's hoping I don't have to deal w/ that, but I gotta say if I can move this weight - a few more headaches will be a small price to pay.

I'm thrilled you don't have yours any longer!!

Hope that part happens for me as well. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #15  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Default Headaches

I am prone to migraines, especially once a month when my hormones are in flux. I will say that the experience is the same on the program as it was before the program. Also, I did not experience any side-effects that IP noted in the handouts from my consultation.

On a side note - I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 7 years old and find that it is doing fantastic on this program. I don't know if it is the casein or gluten reduction or something else - but I am thrilled!!!

Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote