Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'7"

Default How to Go Even Lower Carb?

I am not new to low-carb. I have done Atkins for weight loss very successfully years ago and maintain just fine on the Maintenance Phase. I did Maintenance Phase through my pregnancy and through 14 months of breastfeeding and even lost most of my baby weight. I just can't seem to get my act together to do what I need to do for losing the last 10 lbs of baby weight (plus 10 more to get to my goal weight).

In order to lose any weight in the past (Pre-baby) I had to stay on induction and not add any grains or fruit. I can't go above 25-30 net carbs (I am metabolically resistant) but if I stay on the induction food list it is OK but I lose very slowly. I can't include any Atkins bars or processed foods or artificial sweeteners if I want to lose. I also have to be very careful with dairy. I have to stick to the induction list maximums for cheese and cream in order to lose weight. I can maintain, but I stall if I add any of these things.

Right now I am also on a medication that is notorious for making people gain weight. By sticking to a low-carb diet I have been able to maintain, but I just can't seem to get my act together to get low enough net carbs to lose weight because the medication gives me crazy cravings. I know I have a lot working against me but I feel like if I could just get over this hurdle I could make some progress. I have also tracked my calories and rarely go above 1400.

Am I being too hard on myself? Is anyone else in the same boat? How did you get over this hurdle? How were you able to stay on Induction forever? I don't have any other option than to keep trying but I am emotionally burnt out!
sararay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Oh my goodness sararay. I understand. I lose weight slowly, have horrible cravings, and have been on meds that make my appetite sky rocket (and thus gain weight). I understand.

I'm just going to throw out some ideas, you choose what's best for you:

Try a fat fast - Atkins has a version
Get some gentle prolonged exercise to up your metabolism
Your fat intake could be too low on that number of calories, add a little butter oil in extra

and oddly, sometimes, if I just eat for a day, the day after the next day back on plan I have significant loss.
Post your food intake for a day or two, and let others review to offer some ideas.

You'll have o play around with the options to find what fits your needs, and I'm sure folks will soon post more options. This site isn't usually short on support and advice.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #3  

Thanks Arkansas Kel! I have been toying with the idea of a fat fast. Mostly just to get my cravings under control. It seems like I am fine once I get into ketosis but getting there is hard with this medication. It seems a fat fast would get me to ketosis faster, then once my cravings were (hopefully) under control I could just go on the induction food list.

I do the exercise I can and now that the medication is starting to work I have less inflammation which should make it easier to exercise, but the medication is what makes me crave foods I shouldn't have.

I don't know if writing down what I eat is going to be helpful because I am not really able to stick to the induction list right now. I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to get on it. This is what I ate yesterday: (keep in mind I am just on maintenance because my motivation is low and I am feeling discouraged)

Breakfast: whole-grain gluten-free english muffin, 2 eggs, canadian bacon, 1/2 tbsp butter, coffee, 1 pkt splenda, 1 tbsp heavy cream

Snack: slice of cheddar (~1oz), 1 cup black tea with 1 pkt splenda and 1 tbsp heavy cream

Lunch: 1 cup whole plain yogurt, 2 slices bacon, 1/2 small apple

Snack: 6 slices salami

Dinner: 3 oz carne asada, 2 cups salad with 1 tbsp EVOO and balsamic vinegar, 8oz lemonade made with splenda

Dessert: 1 serving homemade gluten-free low-sugar peach crisp. (I don't usually have dessert but I was asked to bring one to a dinner party last night)

I calculated 85 net carbs for the day. More than half were at breakfast. I know I can do better if I can just get my head on straight.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #4  

Well, it's not awful by any stretch, just not "induction" level. Try to just drop below 60, nothing says we all have to do Atkins or not participate. A lot of folks can lose below 60 carbs.

Gluten free often isn't low carb, but I'll let you be the judge of your choices since I don't have your labels where I can read them. The apple would probably be a fine choice, if you're not doing pure atkins and count the carbs in it.

Many days, my breakfast is just coffee with heavy cream. It lasts me until lunch time. Might try that just one day (with a back up snack packed just in case). On days where I get hungry before lunch (seldom) I hit our cafeteria for "just bacon." Nothing like a bacon snack.

Keep posting, whether pure atkins or not. I don't do pure atkins myself. I do, what somebody fondly named "atkins-esque" diet. My own path so to say. somedays it works better than others, but it's always a work in process.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #5  

Atkins Maintenance does allow fruit and whole grains but your net carb level has to be where you can maintain, which I do even with my meds that are supposed to make me gain. I do gluten-free because I have a sensitivity to wheat. I seem to be able to maintain unless I eat sugar and refined carbs or go above 100g net carbs, I just can't LOSE unless I go below 25 net carbs because I can only seem to lose when in ketosis. On another diet forum it has been suggested to me that I am at my ideal weight for my body, but that is not what I feel comfortable with.

If I am not in ketosis and I don't eat breakfast I eat more throughout the day. Ketosis is the best hunger control but it does take 3 days for me to get into it on 20g NC per day. I have tried the coffee and cream breakfast and it doesn't work while I am trying to get into ketosis, but once I'm there I don't have the hunger problems and I can make it all morning on 2 pieces of bacon or a cup of coffee with cream.

I know I just need to start. I will do tomorrow morning. I have been trying to psych myself up. Wish me luck!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #6  

I made it! 15 net carbs today and induction list foods.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #7  

WOOT WOOT. It will get easier for you now. Proud of you.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #8  

Day 2 and I had another successful day. 16.23 NC (I use an app on my phone to calculate exactly). Thanks for the encouragement. I guess that is what I needed to get going!