Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Menopause and IP

I turned 50 last October, my last TOM was in 2007 = menopause, well this week guess what TOM.

Is this normal should I be worried.....

Just seems very strange nothing for 4 years and now TOM.

Any suggestions, advise.

Thanks
df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Contact your doctor; it is probably nothing, but you need to have it checked.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #3  

You should definately consult with your doctor..it is not normal. Although it most likely is nothing there is a chance it could be a sign of something more serious. Call your Dr. A.S.A.P. The good news is, that in the small chance it is something more serious, you will have caught it early and you will be fine.
morecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1960 View Post
I turned 50 last October, my last TOM was in 2007 = menopause, well this week guess what TOM. Is this normal should I be worried.....
Debbie, that must be very disconcerting. Menstrual disruption is fairly common on Ideal Protein. There are lots of accounts of IP affecting women's menstrual cycles -- some women have them more frequently, some women experience the defective typewriter syndrome -- skipped periods , and for others a return to fertility and unexpected pregnancy. If you're having sex with a fertile man, you may want to use contraception until you've got some answers.

I've been reading and posting for 8 months and yours is the first post that's mentioned a return of menses after menopause. It doesn't surprise me though. There are a few other tenured IPers who may have additional thoughts for you. While I don't think it's anything to be worried about, please see your physician. And when you do visit, take them all the information you can about Ideal Protein -- the food guidelines and the supplements. At a high level, IP Phase 1 provides about < 20 g fat, < 30 g carbs, and around 80 g of protein. (These were my numbers from a time when I was 100% following the plan.)

There are a couple of things that could be going on
  • Female sex hormones are stored in body fat. You're now burning a lot of body fat as fuel, so guess what's in your blood stream -- female sex hormones in quantities your body hasn't seen for a while! Your body may be responding completely appropriately to the signal of estrogen and progesterone.
  • Endocrine hormones are highly dependent on each other -- insulin (pancreas), cortisol and testosterone (adrenals in women), thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) (thyroid), estrogen and progesterone (ovaries) to mention some of the ones we know. Reducing your carbohydrate intake affects your pancreas which affects insulin production. High insulin levels have been known to play havoc with women's fertility; lower and steady insulin may well have a reverse impact.
  • These two factors may be interacting and your body is responding to the signals given.

That said, please get medical advice to be sure.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 03-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I have heard of this happening at the clinic I used. It isn't totally uncommon and, yes, see your doctor. In most cases, it is the result of your hormone levels changing in response to what your body is burning off from what had been stored in fat you are now burning.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  
cinammon

S/C/G: 202.8/187.6/145

Height: 5' 1"

This may old stuff by I would like to add a little for what it is worth. I am 52 with the beginning of irregular menses. yeh! However, I did start this month and I am 3 weeks into the plan. I weighed myself and it looks like when I go to tomorrow's weigh in I will register the same on the scales.
Also, I thought I wasn't as frisky with my husband as my younger years. Now I have the longing desire when I'm not around him. I feel sexy. so I there is a negative side to things then here is positive to look forward. Sexy and Horny why not.
cinammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinammon View Post
This may old stuff by I would like to add a little for what it is worth. I am 52 with the beginning of irregular menses. yeh! However, I did start this month and I am 3 weeks into the plan. I weighed myself and it looks like when I go to tomorrow's weigh in I will register the same on the scales.
Also, I thought I wasn't as frisky with my husband as my younger years. Now I have the longing desire when I'm not around him. I feel sexy. so I there is a negative side to things then here is positive to look forward. Sexy and Horny why not.
Think long term. According to the NY Times, this week, people who live on Ikaria, a Greek Island, have sex well into their 90s and their longevity is remarkable. Recipe for health = diet, sleep, and sex. Hey, you're on you way.

Last edited by Linden; 10-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1960 View Post
I turned 50 last October, my last TOM was in 2007 = menopause, well this week guess what TOM.

Is this normal should I be worried.....

Just seems very strange nothing for 4 years and now TOM.

Any suggestions, advise.

Thanks
Debbie, this actually IS normal for IP. It has to do with the excess hormones that were stored in your fat cells being released into your bloodstream. And yes, it's temporary. You may still want to see your doctor if you're concerned or develop bothersome symptoms (as if TOM wasn't bothersome, lol), but this is straight out of the "Female Issues and The Ideal Protein Diet" paper by Mike Ciell, IP's Chief Science Officer and VP of US Operations:

Preface
The female hormone system is arguably far more complicated than that of the male. Changes in the concentrations of certain hormones can bring about various physiological changes, including changes in the menstrual cycle that vary from missed periods to very light flows to very heavy, prolonged periods. Post-menopausal women may notice “spotting,” as sometimes seen at the beginning HRT (hormone replacement therapy). Changes in estrogen levels may render birth control pills less effective, while production and/or release of androgens (male hormones) may cause temporary hair loss.

We must understand that our fat cells store excess hormones; estrogens and “xeno-estrogens” (estrogen-like substances that mimic some of estrogen’s effects) and male hormones such as testosterone and androgens (DHEA, androstenedione). As fat is lost, these substances are released into the bloodstream and may cause certain temporary changes. It must be stressed that THESE ARE TEMPORARY, and when the weight loss is complete, the body will return to its baseline and these effects will disappear. Furthermore, these changes will only occur in a relatively small percentage of female dieters. Nevertheless, the coach or physician should make mention of these possible transient effects during the initial consultation so the client will not be alarmed should they appear.

Spotting in Post-Menopausal Women
During peri-menopause, a woman’s periods will likely become erratic and light, and once she enters menopause, they will cease. In addition, during both peri-menopause and menopause, other unpleasant effects may occur. These include hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia. HRT (hormone replacement therapy) may be prescribed by her gynecologist to alleviate these bothersome conditions. Many times, upon initiation of therapy, the woman will begin to spot (due to the estrogen or combination of estrogen/progesterone administered). When these women lose fat on the Ideal Protein Protocol, stored
estrogens in the fat cells are released, and they may notice monthly spotting. While this may be annoying, the good news is that their hot flashes and night sweats may also disappear…kind of HRT for free!

Sometimes these women wonder, “If I’m having ‘periods’ again, can I become pregnant?” The answer is NO. This is an endometrial (uterine lining) process and has nothing to do with the ovaries…egg production ceases with menopause. However, if they’ve only recently entered menopause, they may want to ask their gynecologist for an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) level. If this simple urine test shows high levels of FSH, then they are in true menopause and pregnancy is impossible. It is always important for the woman to report any occurrence of spotting to her gynecologist (whether due to HRT or fat loss) so the physician can confirm that it is due to hormonal changes and not from another cause.

Last edited by Lilivonshtupp; 10-12-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 147/127.5/130

Height: 5'3 3/4"

Just wanted to bump this up. Anyone else (not-menopausal) with regular periods before miss some now? I am about 6 days late for mine...and I'm always regular. I've lost 20 lbs in roughly 6 weeks. I see the literature, but was hoping to have someone else here with a personal testimony to it to make me feel better. My husband is having a stroke over this! We have a 16 month old and he had a vasectomy 14 months ago.
Herding Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/244/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
Just wanted to bump this up. Anyone else (not-menopausal) with regular periods before miss some now? I am about 6 days late for mine...and I'm always regular. I've lost 20 lbs in roughly 6 weeks. I see the literature, but was hoping to have someone else here with a personal testimony to it to make me feel better. My husband is having a stroke over this! We have a 16 month old and he had a vasectomy 14 months ago.
I've been sans that TOM for 4 1/2 years. During the initial stages of being on IP, I swear I had cramps just like the old days - some were pretty tough. When I stopped originally having that TOM, I went for 10 months and then flew overseas. Air travel does it to me - I had it for a month, then nothing for 4 1/2 years. I'd check with the Doc, but I'm thinking it's the hormones you've released
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #11  

Height: 5'0"

df1960 - If it was me, I would have it checked out, especially if it's more than the "spotting" described. Are you going through a physician or clinic? I'd call and check with them just for peace of mind.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #12  

Just a thought - if those of us who are supposedly post-menopausal start releasing hormones again, does that mean we can get pregnant? Now that would be my worst nightmare!!

I'm sure it wouldn't happen, but it's a crazy thought.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

I'm peri-menopausal and experience TOM approximately once every three months.

When I started IP I was in the midst of the TOM. (Started IP October 30). Yesterday was the first day I haven't had spotting. I'm hoping that's the end of it for a while. (6 days TOM + 16 days spotting = ENOUGH ALREADY!)
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly ann View Post
Just a thought - if those of us who are supposedly post-menopausal start releasing hormones again, does that mean we can get pregnant? Now that would be my worst nightmare!!

I'm sure it wouldn't happen, but it's a crazy thought.
No, you can't, so go ahead and breathe a sigh of relief. But you ladies in Phase 1 & 2 who haven't gone through menopause, are on birth control pills, and don't want to get pregnant need to be using a backup method. Here's a paper from IP that explains what happens and why with both situations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IP Female Issues SCI.pdf (134.7 KB, 20 views)
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote