General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Are you an unemployed chick?

I have been unemployed for one week and it is driving me crazy! What do you do with your time? I find myself sucked in to the tv for the vast majority of the day. I don't even want to exercise. What do I do? I feel like I have no purpose in life right now and just want to be a slug.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I found an emergency assistance center and volunteered there for few hours a week. I put it on my resume to show that I kept busy and I also got an excellent opportunity to get references and network with others who worked there.

Plus, I cooked every meal from scratch, learned new recipes, and kept the house spotless. My husband almost cried when I had to go back to work
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I am working now but I was unemployed six months last year. I lost 30 pounds! I exercised two hours a day and made all my own meals just the way I like them. I spent a lot of time here. Since going back to work I have kept off about 25 pounds.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Can you do anything to sharpen your skills? Volunteerism is a great idea as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #5  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

ive been unemployed for 3 yrs and all that time ive been concentrating on my son. in a month i will move to where my sister lives and she will help babysit so i can get a job. ive been itching to work for the longest time.
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #6  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm a stay at home mom, unemployed by choice. It was really hard on me for many years. We only had one vehicle, so I was literally stuck in the house doing nothing. About a year ago my husband got a motorcycle. Over this summer he was able to take that to work and I started going to the gym every day. Completely brought me out of this 6 year funk. Now it's getting colder again and he won't be able to take his bike for much longer. Now I'm freaking out that I'm going to have to give up my gym time and sanity again!

So I guess my advice is still try to get out. If you don't have a gym membership go to the mall and walk, just make sure you leave your wallet at home! Anything to get out of the house will help with your mindset.

It also helps me that we don't have cable or dish TV. Just DVD's and Netflix. If we had regular TV I'd watch it ALL DAY LONG too!
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Yes and I am feeling its effects similarly to you! I just hang out with my parents and eat with them and spend my savings...it's almost too easy. I am applying here and there and calling up temp agencies, and I have a job lined up that will start training after the holidays sometime, but it's hard finding creative ways to entertain myself sometimes.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/265/180

Height: 5'8"

I had a period of time earlier then this year, in between dropping out of uni and starting a job, when I had nothing to do.

I dropped out of uni due to personal problems, but mainly stopped going to lectures etc by about February. (I attended a few more until the end of March, my official drop-out date, but was effectively not doing much anyway.)
I didn't leave my uni city until the end of July.

So, in all those months, I had nothing to do.
My confidence hit rock-bottom, my weight hit an all time high, and I had nothing to fill my days with. I spent a lot of time on the internet or watching TV. The high point of my week was a counselling session every Monday morning, simply because it was something to get up for. Ditto with an Eating Disorders support group once a month, which I wished was more often. There were also quite a lot of days when I didn't even get out of bed.

Towards the end, I managed to motivate myself a bit. I worked out, I cooked healthy meals, I went to church. For the last few weeks, staying at a friend's while she was away, I did all her laundry, just for something to do.

I've now moved back in with my parents, and have a job to keep me occupied, but I do remember what it was like to have those long, empty days stretching out ahead of me. Having nothing to do can seem relaxing for a few days if you've been rushed off your feet, but I hated having months of that! I felt like I had no purpose, and what was the point of anything?
I had this huge feeling of not having accomplished anything. Another day would go by, and what had I achieved? Nothing, I'd just sat in front of the TV/computer. That's why I started cooking, doing laundry and baking. I felt that at least that gave me something tangible that I could look at and say I'd done. (My friends appreciated the cake, too!)

I'd say the best thing to do is to get out the house at least once a day, even if it's just to go for a walk around the block. I know during my time without a job/uni, I spent a lot of time vegetating in the house.
It also helps to get into some sort of routine, so you still get up in the mornings. I don't know, like having laundry in the machine at a certain time, or something like that.
Also, get dressed every morning. I spent too many days in my PJs, simply because I felt that if I wasn't going out, what was the point of getting dressed? It's all too easy if you're staying home all day, to not bother getting up, making yourself decent, etc etc.
In the last couple of months while I was unemployed, I also set myself challenges. Like, how much of a DVD workout could I get through before I got too exhausted to carry on? I ended up doing that workout at least several days a week, and could feel myself getting fitter.
treasureBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #9  
Fighting the flab

S/C/G: 18.3/18.3/11 to 10 stone.

Height: 5 foot 9.

Hey I am unemployed but this is because I am looking after our baby girl, its hard because being in the house alot means we have a fridge and massive cupboard full of yummy foods and snacks.
I am on the 3rd day of my diet, I will admit I had a couple of glasses of wine last night because a couple of our old friends were visiting but I was straight out for a brisk walk for 45minutes this morning with the pram
I try and get out of the house as much as possible, taking my wee girl out in her prams for walks on sunny days or taking the dog out. I try and visit family, im lucky as my gran and parents live in the same village and my dad is self employed so I can visit. Im not currently looking for a job because of my wee girl but I suppose looking for a job could be a good way of using your time, walking around and handing in your c.v to places.
Hope your ok though my dear.xxx
willbeayummymummy is offline   Reply With Quote