Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default anyone do barre workouts?

Does anyone here use barre type workouts? Like Physique 57, Fluidity, Booty Barre, Pure Barre, etc... I'm wondering if just doing these type of workouts are enough to firm and tone? I know cardio is still important for losing weight, but would barre workouts be enough for a toned body once the fat is off? I guess what's appealing about them is they mostly use your own body weight, a chair and 3lb-5lb dumbbells... so they can be done anywhere and can be traveled or moved with easily. Everyone says we have to lift heavy, but the instructors in these workouts are still in shape
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180+ / 160ish / 130

Height: 5' 3"

I'm doing Leah Sarago's Ballet Body, and I have to say that after only three weeks in, I'm already seeing positive changes.

I'm coming to the conclusion that heavy lifting might not be for everyone. I was doing heavy kettlebell workouts, and I'm bulkier now. I'm giving barre a try, because all the heavy strength workouts I was doing didn't give me the results I wanted

Just my two cents
LaCatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/T/170

Height: 5'5

I love Pure Barre. I can honestly say it gets the job done. My problem is that I either get busy and dont stay consistent, or end up doing something at home. Also, the studio in my city is not that close, so I have to make an effort to get there.

I am looking to move in the the next few months, and proximity to the Pure Barre studio is my #1 priority. A friend of mine did a 30 day video diary one month. The results were so visible, we both gasped out loud.

My own testament that that 5 classes a week and proper diet can easily result in a 3 lb loss for the week.

HTH
fluffyfashionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyfashionista View Post
I love Pure Barre. I can honestly say it gets the job done. My problem is that I either get busy and dont stay consistent, or end up doing something at home. Also, the studio in my city is not that close, so I have to make an effort to get there.

I am looking to move in the the next few months, and proximity to the Pure Barre studio is my #1 priority. A friend of mine did a 30 day video diary one month. The results were so visible, we both gasped out loud.

My own testament that that 5 classes a week and proper diet can easily result in a 3 lb loss for the week.

HTH
wow, you are lucky to be able to actually take the real classes !
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #5  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I read somewhere that obese people shouldn't do the barre workouts for the results they want which dissapointed me because I like them! Does it really matter?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I read somewhere that obese people shouldn't do the barre workouts for the results they want which dissapointed me because I like them! Does it really matter?
I think maybe you heard that because some barre workouts don't burn alot of calories like doing a full strength circuit workout might. Some do burn more calories, like Booty Barre and Physique 57. You still need to do some cardio with them.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Trust me, I love my cardio. The only thing I can't figure out is a strength routine I love that's total body. I don't want to do something that I have to do arms one day, arms another, etc. Are barre workouts safe to do every day?

I have Physique 57 1, Barre 3, Extend, Exhale (not huge fan of the one time I tried it), 4 bar methods, and the fluidities. Booty Barre is on my to get list. I just have to clean my room out for my fluidity bar to be pulled out. I'm waiting till my tendon heals before trying any of them.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #8  

I'm not sure about doing them everyday. Sometimes I do them everyday or alternate with yoga and pilates, plus I go for walks a few days a week. Most people will say you need to rest your muscles a day... but I've read that's more if you are doing heavy weight lifting. just listen to your body, if you are sore take a rest day or do some walking.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #9  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

After doing med to heavy weights for several years I'm giving barre workouts, lighter weights, and more cardio a try for the month of January to see what my body thinks of it. I only have a few barre dvds but I'd be willing to buy more if this works!

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 01-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Barre workouts are FANTASTIC for toning. The trick is, you really need to use good technique to get the maximum benefit. I tried a dvd (Exhale) workout, and it was just ok. When I took an in-person class, I was floored with how difficult it was, and the nuance that is required in some of the poses. I highly recommend taking a couple classes if they are offered in your area before just using the dvds.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180+ / 160ish / 130

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
Trust me, I love my cardio. The only thing I can't figure out is a strength routine I love that's total body. I don't want to do something that I have to do arms one day, arms another, etc. Are barre workouts safe to do every day?

I have Physique 57 1, Barre 3, Extend, Exhale (not huge fan of the one time I tried it), 4 bar methods, and the fluidities. Booty Barre is on my to get list. I just have to clean my room out for my fluidity bar to be pulled out. I'm waiting till my tendon heals before trying any of them.
I hope you heal soon. Injuries suck :hugs:

There are some great beginner workouts that teach form. Bar Method's Beginner's is very good. Instruction is detailed. I do Ballet Body, and Leah is amazing with form pointers and modifications to make it easier (or harder - which I cannot even imagine ). I've heard of other women losing considerable amounts of weight and inches using barre as their strength. In Leah's web page there's a testimonial of this lady that lost over 50 pounds using her method, so any barre you do will work - it's very effective, and you'll see results faster than with regular weights
LaCatrina is offline   Reply With Quote