Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default I think I got heat stroke or heat exhaustion!!!!!!!!

This is what happened to me. I was doing my work out yesterday and the furnace was on full blast(although no kids say they did it) I never knew this and started my exercise but about half way through I got dizzy my heart rate went up and thought I was going to faint. I also forgot to bring down my water and my fan I do not know why I forgot this time.

I thought the furnace would cut out so I continued with the work out til half way through then that happened. So I went up stairs to turn the furnace off and it was reading 28degrees c so in the basement where the furnace is and my weights was about 35 easily.

Has this ever happened to you. I have been lifting weights now for 2 months and first time for me but I always make sure the furnace has been off and cold down stairs for me. I also bring down 1 liter of water and my fan and forgot this time.

The wife always says I AM MY OWN WORSE ENEMY lol

I turned the furnace off waited 4 hours til it got cold in the basement and continued the workout with no problems.

Thanks and oh ya the furnace is about 2 feet from my weight bench also really small basement.

Thanks for any and all advice in this..
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, sounds like heat exhaustion to me. Next time, if there is a next time, be sure to drink some cool tap water (not ice water--that's too cold) and if necessary, get into a cool shower so you can bring your temperature down. I've had it happen to me when I've gone on nature walks here in Florida when it's really too hot and humid to be out.

It's not the same as dehydration--it's literally that you get too hot inside.

Glad you're OK!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #3  

Thanks and yes it lasted for like 2 hours or so. My heart started racing and sweating and as soon as the heat was off for a few hours came back down and got it all finished.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #4  

I'm not an expert, but I think heat-related illnesses produce different symptoms than what you describe. As in, you don't sweat, and you have chills, but feel faint and otherwise "sick".

I would seriously recommend googling your symptoms to make sure it wasn't something more serious.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Talking to a doctor would probably be a lot more accurate than googling your symptoms. WebMD is anything but non-doctor friendly.

My understanding of heat exhaustion is that your heart DOES spike when it's too hot. Whenever we have spin class in the summer on super-hot days, we're all instructed to wear our HRM and alert the instructor if our HR goes above a certain number, because that's an indication of heat stroke.

I'd still run it by your doc, just in case. You can never be too careful.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I for one cannot workout in a warm enclosed area... I need it too be very cool and airy...
If it starts happening regularly even after you've workout out in an airy and cool environment I'd definitely see the Doc...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #7  

It has not happened since. I make sure I bring the fan down and the furnace is off. And 1 liter of water. That was also the only time it happened.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/185/160

Height: 5'6

Sounds like you got overheated. A group of friends and I get together with my trainer once a week and do "bootcamp" in my basement and when we all get down there and get working out it gets REALLY hot. I've started brining down a fan and making sure the heat is off and that seems to have helped.

28 degrees is definitly too warm to be doing heavy exersise without proper hydration.

I doubt you have some sort of medical issue if it has never happened before.
TL0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't know that it was heat stroke or heat exhaustion but it definitely was related to the heat. Good call on getting the room back to cool before resuming your workout. I am extremely sensitive to heat and my optimal workout temp is about 55°F if I'm working out hard. Anything warmer than 65°F is too warm for me. It's a problem for me at my gym, because they keep it 80°F there all the time which just drives me nuts. I've asked them to turn it down but they say other people claim it's cold.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I've asked them to turn it down but they say other people claim it's cold.
If the other people claim it's cold in the gym, they aren't working hard enough Our gym has one side that is hot and the other that is nice and cold, I hang out in the cold part
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
If the other people claim it's cold in the gym, they aren't working hard enough Our gym has one side that is hot and the other that is nice and cold, I hang out in the cold part
I agree with you entirely!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #12  

Ilene you get hot when you workout.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
Ilene you get hot when you workout.

Thanks
Yes, I do... I love winter running, -20c a clear sunny day is my favourite!! In the summer I go out at 6am to run or bike because it's cooler...
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Seriously...I always start off my work out with some sort of long sleeved shirt on, usually by 7 minutes in that's off and I'm warm enough to be in my tank top. If you're not warm, you're not working hard enough.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #15  

Thanks for this it helps put my mind at ease.

Thanks