Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default What size do you wear in what brands/stores

Someone touched on it in another thread - that each designer makes sizes things differently. Now, some STORES size things differently too - notoriously so is Old Navy, but maybe this can help us all figure out what to look for in what stores - especially when doing online ordering.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

American Eagle - 10 & Large
Old Navy - 10 & Medium
Levis - 10
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I did a lot of trying on of clothes recently as I had to replace every single item in my fall/winter wardrobe. I was trying things on everywhere:

I'm 5'6.5" tall. Large build (wrists are 7" circumference)
41-33-42 measurements
181 pounds

Size 14 pants:

Michael Kors
Bill Blass

Size 12 pants/dress:

Calvin Klein
Anne Taylor
The Limited
Vince
DKNY (petite)

Size 10 pants/skirt:

JJill
Royal Robbins

For button up tops:

Size 12 or Large in everyone except Michael Kors - I would need an XL

For Sweaters:

Mediums:

Calvin Klein
Royal Robbins
Jones New York
Roxy

Large:

Smartwool
And a bunch of Marshall's no names
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

Old Navy: 12 pants, large tops
JC Penney: 14 pants, large tops

I don't really shop anywhere else :\
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Stats:

5'3"
148 pounds

I haven't tried on a lot of brands lately, but here's what I do know:

Old Navy: 6/8
Gap: 4/6
Dots: 5/6
Hot Topic: 5/7
Forever21: 6/8 or Medium

Last edited by sontaikle; 10-06-2011 at 01:36 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/196/150

Height: 5'6

Ugh, I absolutely hate this! I've bought 2 of the exact same pairs of jeans at Old Navy - tried on one and grabbed another, when I took them home, the other was way too tight! So, I have to try on anything that's a bottom such as pants or skirts.
JaneDoe357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm all over the place. I have a very large bust (something between 30J/JJ-32HH/J) so finding tops that fit is an absolute chore! Pants are slightly easier so I can normally find those in stores (albeit ones like Levi's Curve ID)

Stats:
5'6"
Weight: 176lbs
Bust: 44"
Underbust: 31"
Natural Waist: 32"
Belly button: 35"
Lower belly: 39"
Hips: 41"

Levi's: Modern Surpeme Curve 29
H&M: probably a EUR 40/US 10 in pants (I have a few pairs of 42's that are a few years old that are too big now)
Old Navy: 10's? I recently ordered a pair of shorts in size 10 and will get them soon, hopefully they fit! For their t-shirts M's are too big now but I'm sure if shirts were at all fitted int he bust I'd need an M or L but the back would be way too big.
C&A: I have a Brazilian size 44 dress that is slightly too small in the bust, perfect in the hips and too big in the waist.
AJ Rumina (online store that caters specifically to women with large busts): I recently ordered t-shirts in Medium F/G and a button down top in Large F/G. I'll review them on my blog when they come.
Biubiu (another store for women with large busts where I'll be ordering from soon): 40BBB
Ann Taylor: I have a shirt from there that's an L, which is huge on me. No clue how a M would fit.
Zara: Typically XL, sometimes L, or 42's there. But I haven't tried on clothing their recently.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #8  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I have the hardest time finding pants that fit me well! Even in the same brand, I've found that I need different sizes depending on the cut. I do a lot of thrift store shopping, so I just get used to trying on a LOT of things to find something that works.

I also feel like my size has been changing a lot recently. Most brands I start with a 6 for pants and a small for shirts and go from there. I've been starting to fit into more size 4 pants, especially at stores where things tend to run bigger (like Gap, etc.).
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #9  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe357 View Post
Ugh, I absolutely hate this! I've bought 2 of the exact same pairs of jeans at Old Navy - tried on one and grabbed another, when I took them home, the other was way too tight! So, I have to try on anything that's a bottom such as pants or skirts.
That's happened to me, too!
When I first started to lose weight, I went to Old Navy and picked up a pair jeans in a size 16: I tried them on and fit into them well, so I got another and didn't bother trying them on, since they were the same cut/style/wash. I got home, and the other pair were HUGE on me. Doesn't make sense!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've solved this problem by wearing dresses (size small) almost all the time.

Height: 4'11.5"
Weight 129
Measurements: 37-25-38

I pretty much only get clothes from Express because they fit. Size 2 petite pants/jeans, small shirts.

I love the Target Merona trench coats, but I need an XS there.

If someone knows of a good physical store where I can buy bras in non-mainstream sizes, let me know! 32DDD/32F and I'm frustrated with fit and selection.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #11  

Try Nordstrom, Munchy. Or, and please don't laugh, Fredericks.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
If someone knows of a good physical store where I can buy bras in non-mainstream sizes, let me know! 32DDD/32F and I'm frustrated with fit and selection.
Physical stores are tricky but most online stores have free returns. I can't buy locally at all since I live in Brasil (something I get pretty annoyed about to the point that I started my blog about it). But the best approach is just order a lot of different sizes at once and figure out what works for you in each brand.

Also check out: http://bratabase.com/. It's a huge database about bras. Basically, you can put in you measurements and see what people the same size as you wear. They also have a lot of reviews on bras so you can see if the bra runs large/small etc..

You can also check out: http://thirty-twod.livejournal.com/ which is a great place to ask question.

If you're looking for clothes to fit your figure try: Aj Rumina (I'll be writing a review on some shirts I ordered there by the end of the month) and Biubiu. Both let you order according to your cup size. There are a lot more but I don't have a chance to search for them all. I really need to compile a list of all of them so I can refer to this more easily.

For pants I've had a lot of luck with Levi's Curve ID jeans and I'm planning on trying PZI jeans once I hit goal.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Try Nordstrom, Munchy. Or, and please don't laugh, Fredericks.
I checked on Nordstrom online and ordered some bras since they're on sale and I can return at the store. Hopefully this is it!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #14  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I get my jeans pretty much exclusively from American Eagle. My bum is flat and nearly impossible to find flattering jeans for. American Eagle jeans work for me.

When I was 180+lbs, I was barely stuffing myself in 12's (I literally had a rubber band holding the button to the loop...I refused to buy a bigger size). At my best weight (127ish), I comfortably fit into the size 0 of most of their styles, including the skinny jeans. In fact, I still fit into the 0's now at a little over 130, but they're a bit tighter than I like them to be.

American Eagle has horrendous vanity sizing. But I'm generally anywhere from a 0-4. And almost always XS or S. Occasionally I'll be in a randomly higher size like a 9, but I don't think much of it, their brand just does sizing differently. My wedding dress was a size 2, and I think formal/wedding gowns are supposed to be closer to "true" sizing...whatever the heck that means.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I find the whole "what size are YOU?" and exercise in futility.

In jeans anywhere from a 5 in jr's/6 in womens, to a 11/12 or 10/12/14, depending on the brand and cut.

In shirts, I will never be anything less than a large, the girls are to big.

So, there fore in dresses, I will always be at least a 12 or 14. In skirts, the same as jeans.

Bra's, forget it. I do not understand why bra makers think a 38DD need padding? I do not need padding, I need support! Hello!

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the sizing of women's clothing.

Now send me to the men's dept. to buy jeans, I'm a 31x34 or 31x36. Brand does not matter. Don't like highwater jeans. A large in t-shirts, sweatshirts, coats, and scrubs, follow the same sizing, according to what I buy. No issues with cut, brand, etc.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote