Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Default Veg which freeze well

I use frozen veg a certain amount already, whether it's buying them ready-frozen, or making up several portions of something with fresh veg and then freezing them. I'm interested in expanding the range I use.

Potatoes - how well do they work in meals to be frozen, say if they're diced and simmered in a stew/curry/whatever?

Green beans - same question, and how good are the pre-frozen ones?

Okra - my local Indian supermarket has bags of okra in the freezer which I've been eyeing up. How well do these behave, do they get too gelatinous more easily than fresh okra, and of course flavour?

The veg I already keep frozen are sweetcorn, peas (though I'm fussy about the brand), savoy cabbage, broad beans, edamame beans, organic carrots (regular carrots taste too bitter for me). I'll freeze a variety of meals, but I've noticed that mushrooms do not take that well to being frozen and reheated, they get a bit rubbery.

I'm also curious as to people's opinions on cooking frozen veg and then refreezing the resultant meal. I admit that I've already been doing this with frozen sweetcorn, and haven't noticed any problems yet, either with taste and texture, or with potential health problems. Everything is frozen quickly after cooking, and reheated in the microwave until it's piping hot. In particular, I'm wondering about the okra and green beans, since I'd quite like to make a big batch of Indian curry with them.

Last edited by Esofia; 10-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Ooh, nice article from the New York Times about frozen veg. I went to the local Indian supermarket and scooped up frozen artichoke bottoms (used them before), okra and green beans. I'm keeping an eye on common recipes for frozen veg, and am intrigued by one which involves sautéing the okra in oil and adding gram [chickpea] flour and spices.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I can't tell you the slightest thing about okra, but I buy frozen green beans all the time.

Cooked potatoes in stew or curry freeze fine. They will lose a little bit off of them as they reheat, but it makes the soup/stew a little thicker - rather desirable in my opinion. I also freeze cooked sweet potatoes in stews as well.

I don't have problems with mushrooms if they're frozen cooked in stew.

I'm not thrilled with the texture of carrots when I freeze leftover stew, but I love having extra dinner in the freezer so much that I eat them anyway.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote