Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #1  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

Default Atkins vs. SB: How did you decide?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but the seach feature wouldn't find it for me.

I have both the New Atkins book and the South Beach book checked out from the library, but I'm impatient, and would like to hear what the difference between the two is, and how you decided which one was right for you?
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I didn't. I've used both as well as the Primal Blueprint. Then I chose a low-carb exchange plan, but when choosing food to fill my exchanges, I try to choose foods that are South Beach and Primal Bluepring friendly.

I like exchange plans, because they factor in calories. I can stall on any plan that doesn't limit portions, because my appetite and hunger/satiety signals aren't reliable. I can't use hunger as my guide, because I'm often always hungry (but especially if carb levels are even marginally too high).

I'd recommend the book The Low Carb Bible, by Elizabeth M Ward. It reviews popular low and moderate carb diets (it doesn't cover exchange plans, because most aren't low-carb. I found low-carb exchange plans in The Duke Diet Book (the blue one with a graphic of a yellow tape measure on the cover) and on the hillbillyhousewife website.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-17-2011 at 02:51 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #3  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I did SBD first. As soon as I added the carbs back, I was done. Couldn't lose any more, and started with the carb addictions again. A year later, I tried again, but before I made it to the carb-adding part, I switched to the Primal Blueprint. NO GRAINS! No sugar! No milk! I still have cheese and yogurt.

Anyway, it works for me. Atkins and SBD work for a lot of people, too. I'm not bashing them.

Good Luck!

Last edited by theCandEs; 07-17-2011 at 10:24 AM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #4  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

A little late responding to this, but I decided to low-carb it this round because I'm concerned about developing diabetes. Also, my husband IS diabetic, so hopefully he'll be encouraged to reduce his carb-load.

Last edited by 2sw33t; 08-19-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I say choose either, but if it isn't working for YOU change teams. My ultimate plan is atkins all the way, with a shift to primal at the end for long term.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

When I first heard of Atkins, South Beach was not out yet. I heard that Atkins helped women with PCOS lose weight so it was what I tried. I lost 50 pounds in 10 mionths before falling off the wagon and regaining it all back with more.

I then tried South Beach but it did not work for me so I flipflopped on different plans for a time and finally went back on Atkins and it is working for me.

I just bought the new Atkins book today and am looking forward to reading it.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'7"

I did SBD for two years and could not get past Phase 1 without gaining or stalling. When I read the Atkins book I understood why... I have metabolic resistance.

For years I did Atkins and it works really well for me to lose weight as long as I stuck to a whole-foods version (not Atkins bars and shakes). Right now I am on medications that make me gain weight but I am able to maintain, hope to lose again when I get off the meds.

When I was on Atkins in the past, whenever I tried to increase carbs or introduce ANY grains I stalled or gained, or got my cravings back and THEN gained. It wasn't until I read Gary Taubes' books "Why We Get Fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories" (the first is basically an abridged version of the second) that I really understood why. Some people just do not tolerate grains. Sadly, I am one of them.

Long story short, if SBD works for you, do it, but it didn't work for me. Atkins "works" if you do the whole-foods version without the processed foods (Dr. Atkins' 2002 edition book before the foundation added all the processed foods into the diet) so basically do Paleo. Paleo is just another term for whole-foods Atkins without grains. (I know I'm simplifying but for people who are trying to decide which way to go, this really helps.)

I think that an understanding of Atkins helps people do Paleo more successfully for weight-loss purposes. Good luck!

Last edited by sararay; 10-11-2011 at 03:13 PM.
sararay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

true, but many paleo/primal diets include starches like sweet potato, dried no sugar added berries, fruit etc. It just doesn't include processed things and grains. Some versions allow some raw milk, cheese, fermented dairy and some do not. I plan to find my own path.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'7"

Yea, that is why I think an understanding of Atkins is important for those who want to do Paleo to lose weight. As a WOE though, paleo is great.

Personally I can only tolerate dairy in small amounts if it is aged (hard cheeses) or fermented (yogurt and kefir).
sararay is offline   Reply With Quote