Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #46

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland with no wind and in the low 80's. We just got home from eating out at a nice Italian restaurant where I bring home 2/3 of my dish home and have two more meals out of it. Anyway we were out with the manager of the local KFC and his wife and 3 little boys. All had a good time and ate well. I am so excited for in the morning we take the dogs to the groomer then off to a neighboring town to meet the lady that we are getting Turn To from. She called last evening to confirm the meeting. I am so glad that the dogs come in here and don't bother the kittys things. It is probably a good thing I got them set up and then they could examine them and then go on. Next thing to get them used to is a kitty in the house. I just got a notice on my Blackberry that I have a few upgrades to download so I will be doing that when I get off of here. I like it when they improve the apps.

DONNA FAYE We pay a lot more than that for our tires. Guess it all depends in what you want in a tread. Ours run about $200 per tire. But they sure last. The ones we had before we got these we got nearly 60 thousand out of. It is all in what you want in a tire what it will cost. Since you don't do any off roading then yours are cheaper than outs. Hope your visit tomorrow with your doc gives you a direction to go to fix your problems.

JEAN I make business cards for Will for church and myself for my glass works plus some hand out cards and I will just e-mail you what they all are. So it was Bob that spilled the beans.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias

Last edited by Maggie; 10-02-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #2  

Maggie -- Italian food makes me think of Olive Garden . . . my favorite place to go! You had a good idea to bring some home with you for later. Your business cards are pretty spiffy! Yup, Bob spilled the beans but not on purpose. The elevator shifted and he didn't realize the beans were going over the top on the far side of the bin. He just happened to walk back to the barn for something and saw it piling up on the ground. It's happened before but never when he's be "in charge" at the bin. It's not a big deal as long as it wasn't raining; the grain vac will sort out the leaves and twigs so just the beans go through.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #3  

Good morning everyone. Well today is dr appt day but not until 1 pm so I have a bit of time.

Jean: When Jack got back from Firestone, he had a list of stuff needing maintenance and we are going to have to have a new battery before cold weather strikes. Sheesh, those things aren't cheap either. The battery for our car if they install it is $130!!! No wonder people don't get regular maintenance on their cars, between the price of stuff and insurance it about puts you in the poor house. I noticed when we went to the commissary they hadn't picked the cotton yet, but it looks puny compared to previous years. All the corn has been mowed under now, but I doubt they got much from the harvest this year. The corn was really poor this year with the flooding causing problems then our long patch of excessively high heat over the summer. You gotta feel for farmers who make their living from farming nowadays that's for sure.

Maggie: Hope you have a good time on your jaunt to pick up the cat.

Short and sweet gals, but I want to get some stuff done before I have to get ready for the dr. Talk to you tomorrow. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another sunny day in my corner of the world -- love this weather! I balanced at church after figuring out $500 was included in the budget giving and should have been put in "building use" category; (I did it right). I'm getting better at finding why my total isn't the same as the treasurer's. I stopped for a loaf of bread on my way home and have made 3 phone calls for church meetings later this week. I have an initiation this afternoon and then the evening is mine because Bob will be farming. This morning he said he thought it would be at least another 3 weeks if it doesn't rain.

"Gma" -- I didn't know that batteries were no longer kept under the hood in most cars! I don't know where my current one is, but it was under the back seat in our last car. I do know if one needs to use jumper cables the hook-ups are still under the hood. Good luck this afternoon! I'll be thinking of you!

I need to figure out something to wear this afternoon. I need to organize my clothes since parts get separated and I always seem to be hunting for something! Have a marvelous rest of the day!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

:comp]GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We just got back a little bit ago from picking up my kitty. Decided to name him Cecil Au Nuget (you probably remember that the Au is the chemical name for Gold). the lady had been calling him Nuget. He is so very cute. When we broght him in I just set the butt hutt down and opened the door. In a bit he stuck his head out and looked around then stepped out and examined the whole room then came to me and wanted to be picked up. I held him for awhile and his purr is awesome. Right now he is eating some so I guess he isn't traumatized any. Now that he has had a snack he went back into his Butt Hutt. I had placed a hand towl in the bottom of it for when we picked him up and now he is curled up on it fixin' to take a nap. He doesn't seem to mind that it is pink in color. The lady we got him from said if we decided we didn't want him she had 3 other folks in line that do so just call her and she will come pick him up. Well, that will not happen. Little Cecil has a new home now. Will has gone to pick up the dogs from the groomer and we shall see what happens when they meet the newcomer. It is so cute ~ Cecil has pushed the towel to the back and is curled up on it. I am so glad he went back in it on his own for now when we need to make trips to the vet he will not mind being in it.

DONNA FAYE Batteries have sure gone up in price haven't they. Ouch. The things that have to be done to keep the car going. Our "check engine light" came on again and Will made an appointment to have it looked at this coming Wednesday. However, today when we were going 70 (speed limit is 75) the light went off. Maybe that Jeep just doesn't like city driving at all. Who knows but the mechanic and his books to look it all up in.

JEAN Sounds like you are getting your counting all squared away. Bet that makes you feel good. Enjoy your good weather and we are also having nice not windy days. Hopefully the rain will hold off for Bob to get his farming done.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6  

Afternoon gals. Clean bill of health from the doctor, didn't have to have a pap smear and won't need one until next year. Got the ole ticker and lungs checked out and she checked to make sure blood was flowing up to my brain. I got new prescriptions and a new bp med that hopefully works without swelling me up like a balloon. I am waiting to hear from the GYN dr on staff as we have decided to go ahead and do an ablation, which is where they burn the lining of the uterus so that it scars and for older women they then have no more issues. She said last year when I had my physical my doctor at that time did do a blood test to determine if I was menopausal and she said the results said that I had gone through menopause. She like my other dr and my gyn was puzzled as to why I was still have issues since she read my whole lab and procedure file and said everything they did showed no problems and I had healthy innards. If someone would stump a doctor about something it would surely be me! Anyway, I am waiting for that and an appt for a mammogram for the year. I did get my flu shot as surprisingly they actually had them there. The nice thing getting them when you go to your appt is you pay the $12 for the copay but then you don't have to pay anything extra for anything they do in the office like lab work, shots and such so I didn't have to pay for the flu shot. I need to go back in 2 months so she can see how the new med is working out and I had a cholesteral and sugar test since all my siblings have diabetes now and my mom died from diabetic complications so we will discuss those results. I have always had great cholersteral and never insulin problems so hopefully that is still the way it is. When I went into the lab, it was a new lady that had never drawn my blood so I warned her I was tough to get blood out of. She thwacked the top of both hands, then went into the inner arms and whacked on them a bit, then had me hold something and squeeze it and she pushed down right at the elbow area, inserted the needle with nary a stick and out the blood came. Unfortunately, the flu shot hurt like the devil this time and I bled like a stuck pig! lol I have to say, I sure do like my new doctor. She is probably between my daughter and son's ages and is a really sweet gal. She is a staff physician instead of a resident and my primary care manager so she won't be leaving anytime soon.

Maggie: We had the check engine light issue with our Grand Marquis. We had a couple things fixed (come to find out didn't need it) and the service guys would always reset the sensor to make the light go out, but a week or so later back on it came. I did find out that the only way to guarantee your sensor not to flip the light is taking it to a dealer. The vehicles are set up so that when the sensors come on they have to be reset by the dealer for them to stay off completely. The guy told us the auto companies do that so you will have them do the work. When we exhausted everything connected to the check engine light and none of it was faulty, we gave up fooling with it and I ended up putting a piece of duct tape over it to keep it from drawing our eye to it. We never had an issue with it except it not going out so yours may be the same thing and the dealer has to reset it to make it stay out. It is nice to have fancier cars nowadays, but these electronic gizmos can be a pain.

Jean: Another day of $$$ coming out ok at the church! Since I got out later, we just went to Olive Garden for dinner. I told Jack if we ever get up your way we are going to take you and Bob to OG as it is your favorite. We still came in under lunch portions and I wasn't all that hungry so didn't eat much anyway.

Well, my little doggy wants some attention and Jack is up in his office. I am going to tackle making dog food in a bit so I guess I should go. Have a nice evening all! Faye
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #7  

Maggie -- I hope Cecil likes his new home and will be curious as to how the first two four legged residents like him. Have fun!

"Gma" -- Glad your visit with your new doc is over and you like her. I hope the new meds will help you feel better. The closest OG is in Sioux City and it seems like no matter what time of day it is, the parking lot is busy. We don't usually have to wait very long though. I thought about going there by myself but then decided that wouldn't be so much fun. There are several restaurants right in a row and they're all pretty busy.

I'm taping DWTS so I don't have to sit through all the commercials and the goofus MC making small talk. Bob just got home from the farm and is thinking there must be a football game on somewhere. I think I will read for awhile and then head to bed. Tomorrow is my morning in the gift shop.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies. Well, I was up at 6 making dog food as I had run out and Fortune was whining to be fed. I then folded a load of clothes, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and will start more laundry in a bit after Jack has his shower. I have to tackle upstairs cleaning this morning and get that done.

I just finished a pretty good couple books and downloaded a couple more last night. I haven't been knitting because I have been so tired. I talked to the dr and she said the heart meds I am on will cause real tiredness as it slows the heart rate so it is just something I have to deal with from time to time. I may take a snooze while Jack is gone this morning because I got up around 5 AM and went to bed late because I wanted to finish my book. On top of that the snot next door was playing her music at 9 PM so loud the house vibrated. I don't ever go to homes around here after dark and to call the cops would take hours for them on a nuisance call so I waited and she finally turned it off. They are going to be pains, I can just tell. They have this snot of a teenager who is obnoxious as the devil.

Jean: Hope you have a good gift shop day. Do you think since they moved it that you do more business or less?? I know you didn't do a whole lot when it was in its original spot. The gift shop at our hospital here is right down the main hall before you get to the elevators so you can hardly miss it. The stuff in there is outrageously expensive, well they sort of have a captive audience so to speak.

You gals all have a good day. I am going to get some breakfast and read awhile then tackle nasty bathrooms. Faye
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful sunny day here this day in the Heartland. I have not much to say this day except about this kitten. It is a hoot. Ragg Mopp just ignors it for the time being for they have been nose to nose and excepted each other. Beanie is just to excited right now so Cecil ignors him and just keeps at least a foot away from him. He eats and plays and Beanie just wants to play so bad but needs to settle down some. It is so cute to see the kitten going into the butt hutt. He is so little he can't just jump in yet but can hook is front paws in the edge and pull himself up and in. Right now he is trying to untie my shoe. He definitely is friendly to people. He met and greeted Paul and made himself at home in his lap last evening. He eats and drinks water just fine so he isn't upset. He boxes his shadow on the floor with those big front feet with the 6 toes. Did I mention that this is the kind of cat that doesn't bother folks with alergies. I don't know what the deal is but I read that somewhere. Must have something to do with the dander thing. Have any of you been to McD's since they started the new game? I got a deal that I won 5 bucks and have to go to a web site to claim it. Made my breakfast burrito free that I had.

DONNA FAYE I think it is wonderful that you make Fortunes food. He sure has a good mommie. Isn't it a teens job now days to be that way? Seems more and more of they are copping an attitude. I am glad there are a few that haven't fallen to that level though. I know some really nice teens. Too bad you have that one for a neighbor.

JEAN We tape some programs also that we don't want to hear the commercials. Boy o boy TV has sure changed since I was a kid. No more test patterns. Have a wonderful day at the gift shop.

All y'all have a great day this Roctober 4th. Rock on.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #10  

Don't know why I couldn't get in here earlier but am here now.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry you have a loud music loving teenager next door. I hope that doesn't go on too late or, if I were you, I'd be calling the landlord. She would probably just turn it up louder. The gift shop does less business where it is now and that is because there is less space with less merchandise. Before we moved I just worked on Saturday mornings and employees weren't used to it being open unless they happened to walk by on their way to the ER or lab. The coffee shop doesn't do nearly the business it used to either but now there is a chef in the new "fancy" dining room which offers many more food choices. Where the coffee shop used to be, it was a gathering place for neighborhood people to gather for coffee. Now it's mainly the hospital employees that come in for the fancy coffee drinks, a donut, muffin, or cookie on the run. Bob and I ate lunch there today -- sloppy joes and coffee.

Maggie -- I'm glad Cecil is feeling comfortable in his new home. I'll bet Beanie is so fun to watch around him. We don't eat at McDs here in town so didn't know they have a new game going. on winning!

I'm heading off to bed. It's been a long day.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #11  

Good morning to everyone. It is nice and cool this morning, but not really cold. We are still getting up into the 80's during the daytime hours though so it is quite warm for here in October. We are usually in the 70's or even lower by now. I told Jack it is about time to haul everything back into the garage for the fall and winter. We so look forward to blowing leaves in a month or so though with the new guys doing lawn care, I don't know whether they will pick them up.

I am reading a murder mystery set in New Orleans about a lady who owns a scrapbooking store. They talk a bit about Marie Levau in it so I kind of did a mini research on her and she has a lot of myterious stuff about her including her daughter was named Marie Levau II so that some of her voodoo stuff is attributed to her mother. Interesting stuff though. I know cajuns are big into what they call gris gris, which is good luck and are very superstitious. One thing I didn't know but it makes sense is that jambalaya has it's roots in spanish paella when the spanish came into the New Orleans area centuries ago. We have never been, but it is only an 8 hour train ride or you can drive it from here in a day so one of these days I would like to visit as long as it isn't around Mardi Gras. I am too old to deal with all that.

Jean: I love a good homemade sloppy joe. My oldest sister makes great sloppy joes as did my mother. Jack likes mine, but I can take em or leave em. He doesn't care for bell pepper and I think you need to put bell pepper in sloppy joes to make them yummy. She turned her music on the minute she hit home from school, but it didn't last long yesterday. The parents speak to us, but she doesn't. She has two young brother and sister and they are fairly nice children so far. I have had to deal with the ball in the yard thing once, but I told him that we are not always home so to be careful as he cannot come into the yard because our gate stays locked and so far he has been careful playing ball.

Maggie: Glad Cecil is settling in ok. I am sure Fortune would ignore him pretty much too and give him his space. Jack won an order of ff's but we just threw it away cause we sure don't need ff's. We don't collect all those monopoly pieces though, too much of a pain to do so.

As you can see, it is way early again. I did go to bed early as I was tired last night, but was up and down with Fortune a lot last night. He has been really antsy the last few days.

Susan and Gail: Hope you are both doing ok.

Have a good middle of the week! Faye
Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to get my nails done, came home and have done two mini loads of laundry, fixed dinner and it's in the oven. I'm not sure if Bob is farming today or not since the combine is in the shop for getting "hot" yesterday. I have bell practice later this afternoon. We play on Sunday and should practice in the sanctuary today; we have a new "clueless" custodian so I'm betting he won't haul our "stuff" downstairs for us. As near as we could tell on Sunday he quit one job on the 30th and started at the church on the 1st w/o any instructions from the former custodians. Bob doesn't think the light bulb is shining very brightly in that attic.

"Gma" -- It was 90 degrees in Sioux City yesterday and 87 here, according to the tv weatherman this morning! That is very unusual for this time of year. Like one lady said, it is one less day of winter! Thanks for sharing a bit of history from the south. I always thought New Orleans would be an interesting place to visit. I chop onion and green pepper very fine to disguise it when the kids are here. No one ever says anything and Will would be sure to pick his out. I hope you and Fortune can get in a catnap this afternoon.

I need to check on my oven and unload the dishwasher. Enjoy the rest of this Wonderful Wednesday!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, ladies! We're having a heat wave at 68 degrees today. It has been so cold, down in the low 50s, I had to turn the heat on. It's too soon for it to be so cold!

As you can tell, I now have internet again...I am so happy. I had over 200 emails piled up. DirectTV, internet and phone are all working great so I just have Sandy's to do Friday afternoon and then I can get back to my normal schedule.

I'm done with PT and can go back to water aerobics, carefully, but not any weight machine for my legs for another 4 months. The knee is still stiff if I sit too long or when I first get up in the morning, but it loosens up faster each day.

Fall Festival was last weekend and my 2 friends and I always work the quilt guild booth demonstrating quilting from 2-4. Of course this year it had to be cold, in the 50s, and raining. Believe it or not, it didn't stop people from coming. We make Quilts of Valor for wounded service men and we had blocks for people to sign that would be made into these quilts. lk

Saturday was sew day for breast cancer at RCQ guild. We had a lot of fun and my friends got me a birthday cake and gifts...I was really surprised.

Monday I had my appointment with the eye doc and yesterday I ordered new glasses. JC Penney's was having a sale for $95 complete no line bifocals. What a steal. The frames I chose were more than that. I saved over $225 altogether because I refused all the extras they offer.

Maggie, I'd love to see your new kitty. I didn't know that Manx were hypoallergenic, so to speak, so I will have to investigate that more. That's probably what I should get, if I get one.

Jean, it seems like fall now for sure since Bob is farming. I made a pot of WW Garden Vegetable Soup this morning. Time to think of heartier lunches and dinners.

Faye, one thing for sure, you could make extra of Fortune's food and have it for you and Jack for dinner. He is one lucky pooch. I'm glad every thing was good and you like your new doctor. I hope the ablation ends all your woes in that department.

I'm going to go to a little quilting while I watch a movie. Have a marvelous day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Good afternoon Magnolias. It has been a wonderful day up in the 80's. I posted earlier but it is ~~whoof~~ gone for it is not here. Probably because I was having a bit of computer problems so had to set it back a day and it is fine now. The animals are getting more and more acquainted with each other. Beanie is a pest though. When it is time for Cecil to take a nap he sticks his head into the crate and wakes him up just wanting to play. Poor little kitty just wants a nap. So when that happens Beanie is closed out of this room. I received my camp oven and it is definitely better than the one I had years back. I will give it a trial run and make some biscuits in it one of these days soon. The temp gauge is on the outside of the front door. I also got a nice stainless mess kit that will be great when I add a couple larger pots to the mix. Two of the items in the mess kit will be great to use in the oven also. The kit contains: one 7ounce stainless fry pan with copper bottom and "stay cool" insulated folding handle; One 12 ounce stainless saucepan (for oven use also) with cover; One stainless plate/fry pan cover (great for the oven also). They are small but large enough to cook for two. I will add a skillet and small griddle with grill on the flip side to the mix that I have. It is square and fits on one burner. I found a childs cookie sheet that will fit in the oven on a web site that sells children sized cooking items. Just like the ones "momie" has but small which will ge great. The oven folds down and stores in a small place which is so neat and just uses one burner on the outdoor coleman camp stove.

DONNA FAYE Time to get the out door furniture put away for the winter season. What will happen to the leaves if they gardeners don't haul them away? Do they just blow around or do you and the other tennets have to do the raking. I saw an advertisement of huge lawn tractors that suck up leaves ~ those are for folks who have lots and lots of lawn and also lots of trees that shed. All that equipment must cost the bucks.

JEAN What is for dinner that you put in the oven? I don't have to cook this evening for it has become "tradition" for us to get it from Colonel Cluck after class this evening. I will be having my usual of skinless chicken and Will likes their chicken fried steak that they serve on Wed. evenings.

SUSAN Nice to have you back on line. I did e-mail you a couple pictures of Cecil but will remail them since you got so many and it may have been lost in the bunch. Please do check that out about them not causing alergies but it was what I was told and I can't remember where I heard it from. Some web page I was researching them on probably. He hasn't made me sneeze so far.

All y'all have a wonderful evening.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #15  

Talking

Susan -- I'm glad to see you tonight! It's nice that you are all "hooked" up again; I hope Sandy's will go smoothly for you too. It's nice that you know how to do it for her. I know you will be anxious to get back into your exercise routine again. It sounds like you have been busy with quilting and sewing get togethers. Enjoy your new glasses -- even more so with the great savings!

Maggie -- When I tried to get in here earlier it wouldn't let me post. Maybe the site has a glitch of some sort. I fixed a ham loaf (similar to meat loaf) and scalloped potatoes along with a salad. There are plenty of leftovers for a couple days. I need to think of something to fix for Bob's secretary if she ends up having surgery. Now that is real effort on my part.

Not much else is newsy from here. Guess I will head for the news and then bed. See you all tomorrow!