Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Default ~~October Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Here you go, ladies! Wanted to ask, if any of you have a good recipe for pumpkin bread that isn't too wet, would you please post it in the recipe section? Thank ever so much.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #3  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~October Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-01-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #4  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls
Can you believe it's October already? I had a hard time posting then new thread today, darn computer just doesn't like the fat chicks thread anymore. I never did get the tech guys to fix it yesterday. I'll be back later to chat.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #5  
Bobbi

Had to show you my Hibiscus and hanging Begonia this morning. The begonia was part of a Mother's day present, it hung outside all summer. The Hibiscus is an old plant and got very woody, I took it outside this spring and cut it way down to only a couple of inches. It came back just beautifully. Now I really have to go shower and get on with my day. Oops, gotta make it smaller, be back in a couple of minutes.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6  
Bobbi

These are in the corner of my kitchen, the Hibiscus gets lots of morning sun. Windows face the east.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hibtwo.jpg (30.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...thanks Bobbie for the new tread. Cooler down here today. High in the 80's and actually have slider open for real air! Can you believe we got thru Sept without a hurricane. Just Oct to watch. BBL have to get to the car wash and get the love bugs washed off. Home hose won't do it. Love bugs are nasty bugs that fly around connected in twos doing you know what in swarms and they have an aciditic body that eats car paint and sticks like glue to cars. UGHHHHHHHH! k3
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #8  
Bobbi

Does anyone know of a different place to shrink pictures? I've always had trouble with the shrink site KarenMo gave me? It only took me 23 minutes to post that Hisbiscus and Begonia. I don't have that much time, my cp is still acting up, maybe that's the problem.
KarenFla, never heard of those sex craved bugs. We have asian beetles up here that congregate in the fall, seek hiding places in the windows for winter naps. There are thousands of them, they smell and try to get in the house. They leave icky tracks on the windows that's hard to wash off. I guess everyone's got icky bugs everywhere. Lets all be thankful we don't have bed bugs.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #9  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All!

Two days since I’ve posted, and you’ve all been busy! Such a chatty group we are!

Rie – I’m glad you’re getting some satisfaction from the owner of the car wash. It’s gratifying when someone takes responsibility, isn’t it? It’s also rare. The computer seems to be doing fine, is seemingly happy and cooperative. Thanks for asking! I hope your back is better!! Good grief, with all these folks and their bad backs. I have to wonder exactly WHAT you all have been doing??????? Your roasted butternut squash recipe sounds delish!

Bobbi – I, of all the people on this site, can SYMPATHIZE AND EMPATHIZE WITH YOUR COMPUTER WOES! These boogers just take over, don’t they? And it seems that once they decide to rebel, they do it so well. I’m glad I bought the laptop, even though it gave me terrible headaches (most of which were of my own making, as I discovered), and I know that the PC had to be totally reamed out. It’ll be a good computer again when the ComputerGod gets that finished. I hope your experience ends up being less traumatic than mine was!

Speaking of IE9, which we weren’t, the ComputerGod removed it and took it back to IE8, said that IE9 hasn’t been properly debugged or configured or something. After I did the thing to restore the computer back to the factory specs, though, IE9 is back… I haven’t noticed anything yet, so maybe it isn’t my particular culprit. I’m convinced that it was the dueling virus folks causing the problems! 3FC has been having problems lately, it seems; I don’t think you can blame that on your naughty computer.

I chortled at your Maxine quote about the photocopier!

Mary – I’m proud that you’re sticking to your MF plan and that you’re doing so well with it! And I’m so, so, so happy that DH is okay. I hope that eye fixes itself fast!

Gayle – I’ll be so interested to hear about the changes, if any, that the new management puts in at your work. Maybe they’ll ease into it? I hope the changes are good for you and not more of a nosebleed! Do share! And what did you see and do at the “Y” tour? Are you now a member?

PT/Zoe – congrats on your profitable foray into the wild world of entrepreneurship! This should be interesting for you, profitable, and not terribly time consuming! Good for you! Does your current employer know and approve or is it just none of their damn business? (can I say that?)

Oh, I had SUCH a wonderful day off! I had lunch with a friend who will be lost to the corporate slave world next week (this economy is truly messing with my social life!), and it was just a lovely day! I went back to work with a spring in my step (hard with this hip!) and a song on my lips. It “done me good”!

Freda – hola! Always good to hear from you!

Lynn – I hope you feel better soon! You’re really having a rough time this year! I thought it was so interesting that you raved about the Geek Squad. When I had the problem with the new laptop, they were so snotty and rude. I figured I’d never spend the money for their warranty service. Different city, different folks… I’m glad yours are good!

I think it’s so interesting that we research and try to cure ourselves, rather than relying on those “practicing” medicine! Your information on sleeping pills reminds me of KarenFL finally having to take things into her own hands, too. I can just see you smoking weed! Why not? They prescribe it for every little thing, and we have dispensaries here, sometimes 2 or 3 on a block. There’s a huge battle raging right now because the legislators have the audacity to want to restrict firearms by those using medical marijuana! Drunk, stupid, drugged, and armed, breeding and driving… what a world!

Rosey – that weight squiggly just keeps dropping! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! Did you get your washer/dryer?

KarenFL – you sound good. Glad you’re back to your BridgeQueen status, too! I laughed out loud at your ex-SIL story about the jeep! Good riddance to a bad shot!

Got home from work on Thursday with a sorely aching hip... but it was so beautiful that I loaded SamCat into his stroller, and we took a wee walk. I could only make it to the end of the block, but, hey, that's better than nothing. A block one day, a block and 1/2 the next... he was so good!

Socializing tomorrow, so I'm going to do paperwork and bills today (fun stuff!). Newbies, wecome! Everyone, hope your weekend is a good one!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #10  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies! I merged the two threads, since we don't want two of them. Anytime there isn't one started at the beginning of the month, I will be happy to start one, so as to not confuse any newbies who may want to join.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy October!

This morning I woke up at my usual 5am and was actually successful in returning to sleep. I got over 8 hours last night.

It’s a miracle! Dgs was not home this morning and ds left for work. I set new records on my walkitout game: 90 minutes, 15,000+ steps. I actually felt like going longer. (Marie) I think I got to that euphoric place – despite the fact that I was literally dripping sweat and breathing hard I wanted to go on. However, my back was twanging and I let wisdom override the endorphins….

Lynn, I hope that they solve the mystery of your stomach. Did you know that apple juice is just as effective as cranberry? I think your niece is terrific! BTW, my gyno told me that one cause of frequent uti’s as we age is because of incomplete emptying bladder. He told me to try to make more of an effort to make sure that I empty bladder completely. (sorry tmi) It seems to help. I am prone to kidney/uti infections because of the lupus. I am also thinking about a 10k. My biggest concern at this time is to try to increase my time…. Suggestions? I think it is a stride length issue. And, hey….. a little weed might not hurt! Seriously, I know a lady who has a new life with her crohns because of medical mj. She injests small amounts of the cannabis butter.

Zoe, I laughed like crazy at your story of ds cooking adventures. I get that all the time, now, as well meaning people try to share “diet” gormet recipes with me. Seriously, before I eat some PF changes or Marie Callendar frozen entre’ I will get a great big cheeseburger or pizza! If I’m gonna eat salt, fat and chemicals, I am going to ENJOY it.

Mary, I hope that you are enjoying the gks. And I am keeping Joe in my prayers

Marie, are you rollerblading? I was thinking about that last night. I would sure like to do that, but I’m not sure where to do it here in Billings. I think I will take a friend up on an invitation to go to the indoor skating rink and see how my balance is.

Bobbi, I HATE it when workmen don’t show up! I am usually such a terror with them that they don’t want to come to my house again. I agree, geek squad is the bomb. I use Irfanview to shrink and edit pictures. Its free.

Donna, We have terrible trouble here with Medical MJ. I hate it that pool league is inhibited by all the former stoners in the parking lot taking their "medicine". Give me a break. Personally, after working in the field forever, I would rather they just legalize it and do away with the hypocracy. Think of all the treatment money that would be available..... I sure wish I had back pain for doing something fun... Good one!

Karenfl, LOL at the bugs. We only have grasshopper probs and mosquito probs here - it is too cold up here for lots of bugs. It is funny that they die while doing the deed.

Freda, Gayle, the Karen’s, Carol, Koala, and anyone else I missed, I will be back later.

Rie
Old 10-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Oooops – sent my Personals message to the September thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
BBL have to get to the car wash and get the love bugs washed off. Home hose won't do it. Love bugs are nasty bugs that fly around connected in twos doing you know what in swarms and they have an aciditic body that eats car paint and sticks like glue to cars. UGHHHHHHHH! k3
Hi Karen,

At one of my yearly cousins’ reunion on the West side of FL, I came across those bugs. They were covering a building front. Yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Does anyone know of a different place to shrink pictures? I've always had trouble with the shrink site KarenMo gave me? It only took me 23 minutes to post that Hisbiscus and Begonia. I don't have that much time, my cp is still acting up, maybe that's the problem.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hi Bobbi,

I think it is your computer. I use that site and it shrinks them almost instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

Lynn I think it’s so interesting that we research and try to cure ourselves, rather than relying on those “practicing” medicine! Your information on sleeping pills reminds me of KarenFL finally having to take things into her own hands, too. I can just see you smoking weed! Why not? They prescribe it for every little thing, and we have dispensaries here, sometimes 2 or 3 on a block. There’s a huge battle raging right now because the legislators have the audacity to want to restrict firearms by those using medical marijuana! Drunk, stupid, drugged, and armed, breeding and driving… what a world!
Hi Donna,

I am NOT surprised that my GP and cardiologist never made this connection. However, I REALLY think that the Gastro doctor should have caught it. We will see. I am going to stop taking them tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post

I am also thinking about a 10k. My biggest concern at this time is to try to increase my time…. Suggestions? I think it is a stride length issue. And, hey….. a little weed might not hurt! Seriously, I know a lady who has a new life with her crohns because of medical mj. She injests small amounts of the cannabis butter.
Hi Rie,

Maybe we should plan the “Zoe Retirement Party and 5 K Golden Girls Reunion.”
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #13  

Hi everyone. a cold wet drizzily day.im gorking in my chair with tea,tv,and puter and 2 puppies.im a multitasker hoping your weekend is quiet and peaceful rosey
Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #14  

Height: 5'3"

Still waiting for our dd and the gc to arrive...should be here soon. It's a long drive with the children but she spends one night on the road to break it up for them. I was able to get all my housework done so free to enjoy them. Talked to my MF coach today and she said if anyone wants to join MF to give them her number and I get $25 off my products. So let me know if you ever decide to give it a try. I had pancakes for breakfast, yum! It makes 3 little pancakes about 3 inches across. Strange how filling the food is though. I use SF syrup on them. I save them for Saturdays because that's when dh make his and I smell them.

Rosey - sounds like a good day!

Rie - You are sure doing well with the walking! I like walking but don't think I ever really found that happy place with it. My dh says he does or did...he tires much easier since he fx his leg.

Donna - I wouldn't want to smoke MJ because it's so bad for the lungs...afterall that's why I don't smoke cigs and MJ is even worse!

Not much to talk about today....
Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Think I over did it a bit! Got the car washed off and in the garage away from those bugs. Amazing when you can see out the windshield. Did 2 loads of wash and remade my bed. Then did the next 2 shelves in the pantry. Surprisingly only had a few out dated cans....why do I have canned peas?....and those darn sales at Publix 1:1 free I have 48 bottles of salad dressing!

Then peeled all the root vegies: sweet potato, rutabago and parnips. Put in bag and shook up with eoo and lemon pepper spice. Wrapped 3 small beets in foil with dab of eoo and drop of water. Put the beets on a disposible broil pan and started baking at 425. Put the rest of vegies on 2nd tray and started 15 minutes later. Then 3/4 hr into roasting put chunks of red bell pepper on top and finished...ohh at 1/2 way I added 2 pork chops coated with panko/lemon pepper to pan wih the beets. It was beyond beyond wonderful!!!!! No pots to wash!

Of course I screwed up and the panko bread crumb bag spilled all over the kitchen floor. Had to vaccum. Between bending and lifted all the canned stuff, pushing the vac and remaking the bed I am hurting. Will get in pj's(braless) and rest. Remind me I said 1 shelf a week......

Admit I bought one small celery root but when I cut in half it was so hard and so dirty looking I tossed it. Have any of you used it?

DH and I watched the "Little Fouckers'" Thurs night. It wasn't very funny and beat gags to death. DH has loved the others and was really disappointed. He is facing R shoulder surgery soon and is trying to firgure out how to do personal hygiene and daily activites. He does so little with his left hand. I could be helpful if I wasn't snickering so much. He was so good taking care of me that I promise I'll take good care of him, when the time comes....but a little giggling is good for my soul.

hugs all k3

Last edited by Karen3; 10-01-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Closed Thread