Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Red face Eating disorder

Hello all...
Haven't posted much at all...but read and lurk everyday. I just thought I would update everyone on the goings on here. Well...I finally decidd to quit the latest "fad Diet" that I have been on for the last 5 months (and spend way too much on by the way)....and seek some serious help. I made an appointment with a nutritionalist, and decided thsi is what I need. (check out her website...http://www.world.std.com/~eatwrite/) Anyways, she spent an hour and a half with me today. And I was quite candid about my habits...which was not easy. And she diagnosed me with having a binge eating disorder. It was really weird to hear that. I mean, I KNOW I am a compulsive overeater...but I never heard anyone..actually tell me this. She wants to work with me every week for 45 minutes at a time. She also suggested me working with a therapist, trained in eating disorders...about the why's and how to over come them...and to help with body image and such. The way she put it to me....telling a person who is a binge eater to just go on a diet, is like telling someone with anorexia to just eat.

So, basically, what it is came down to, is that I discontinue my current weight loss plan (she wrote a letter stating how unhealthy their program is for MEand how weighing in 3 times a week, is counter productive....and I might add...I got $1330.00 back...wohoo) (I know what you all are thinking....but I was desperate to lose weight) And this week I am working on adding more food to my diet. We are moving really slow...and making baby changes. I know I have a long road ahead of me...but it is going to save my life. For me...it is a lot more than the food. Obviously,it plays an important part of my weightloss efforts...but well you all get the point. So...I will keep ya all posted. Thanks for letting me share

Gina
Old 07-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

gina... thanks for telling us. i know that was a hard thing to do.

it sounds as if there's a real plan here. just finding out what's wrong and taking ANY steps to heal it are major accomplishments. please don't sell yourself short.

and please don't beat yourself up about the diagnosis...it's an ILLNESS, and that doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you did something wrong.

hope you will continue to post. we'll listen. and give you lots of hugs along the way.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I'm am so proud of you for seeking help. We all want to be thin and "normal" in our eating habits, and sometimes hearing that this may be something more than a lack of willpower is tough to hear. However, it's the first step in success. I am sure that I too have an disorder.

It sounds like she has a great plan for you! Keep us updated on your progress!!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:59 AM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for posting this. I have also been struggling with eating disorders and now know exactly what I need to do. I've been having a heck of a time finding therapists who specialize in eating disorders around here, so now I know to start with a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders. I will call ask-a-nurse as soon as I get off the computer.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #5  

Gina and Jenelle,

Congrats to both of you for seeking help instead of continuing to suffer. You're both taking positive steps and should be proud of yourselves. Be sure to let us know how everything is going.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Gina BRAVO !!

Its so hard to walk into a dr's office and spill your guts. I've so many times said to myself that I was going to do this but never got up the nerve...shame huh !

I know I have a compulsive eating disorder, I don't need someone to tell me this, I just need some one to help me thru this.

Its not a baby step you too, you took one GIANT leap towards good health and happiness.

Congratulations and many hugs to you.

Love, Leenie
Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'm glad your dr recognized everything that was going on & also glad you got your money back. Hope everything goes well for you.
Closed Thread