Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #1  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy The jiggly stomach fat is even more jiggly!

What gives?! I've been reading about visceral and subcutaneous fat, apparently subcutaneous is harder to lose because there isn't much blood flow. From what I've read anyways.

So my tummy has gotten smaller along with the rest of me but if you look at the pics in my sig, you'll see it looks WORSE now. I am losing weight in a healthy way. I haven't lost more than recommended in a time period etc.

I don't exercise anymore, I cashier and when on my feet 5-8 hours 5 days I can't find it in me (excuses I know). I am moving to maintenance soon and that will consist of sweeping, mopping and scrubbing bathrooms all night long. (Basically, a LOT of walking) which I am excited about.

I just don't know what to do, spot reduction doesn't work from what I hear, I could exercise and I'll count walking and cleaning for 8 hours 5 days as my exercise in a week.

What am I doing wrong? And will this get slim with my body? It seriously seems to POKE OUT more than it did when I was at my highest weight!

I'm just frustrated, and believe me it looks even worse than what's in those pictures. Intead of 2 rolls I now have 3, and it like sags more. It feels like soon my lady parts will be covered with hanging goo. :/ lol

Any tips, or even someone who had the same problem?? My tummy fat was never hard it's always been jiggly, just now- it's way worse.

Thanks for listening to the rant.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #2  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

First of all, you're doing great--congrats on your weightloss so far! Yes, I have the same issue (I have 5 y/o twins and a 5 month old baby, so I have lots of loose skin!) and the BEST thing for me has been resistance training. Moves like planks and mountain climbers, as well as free weights have specifically been the most helpful. They don't even have to be heavy weights--5 to 8 pounds are what I typically have used. Check out the Biggest Loser DVD Power Sculpt! If you can give 20 to 45 minutes at least 3 times a week, I'm sure you'll start seeing a difference. Good luck!

Last edited by rainydays; 09-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #3  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I agree. I hit a plateau, got a personal trainer last week and we are doing strength training and I'm down 5lbs!!! And I'm feeling stronger and really feel a difference in my abs after only a week! We do planks, renegade row, weights etc. Look into it, it really strengthens your core and you even burn more AFTER the workout. I don't know any videos etc but I think it's something to look into. Good luck!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #4  

i think my stomach is a little bit like how you say yours did. and i've done alot of strength training and i've never been pregnant. it was like one day my stomach just 'dropped'?? like it used to stick out straight and then it dropped down?? i couldnt tell if it got smaller or bigger. in one way, it might have gotten smaller because there wasn't as much to hold it straight out so it just dropped down. dunno. it has gotten smaller since i first noticed that a couple years or so ago, but it still does the same thing. figure it will stay there until i can ever somehow somehow lose it
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm totally rocking the jiggly stomach look.

Part of it is that you've probably lost a lot of visceral fat, which used to make your stomach harder, now you're left with the subcutaneous fat, which is just under your skin so it's not really anchored as well, hence, all the jiggling. But you know what? This is great!!!! The visceral fat is the evil one that hurts your organs whereas subcutaneous fat (from wikipedia)

Quote:
This subcutaneous fat is not related to many of the classic obesity-related pathologies, such as heart disease, cancer, and stroke, and there is even some evidence that it might be protective.[23] The typically female (or gynecoid) pattern of body fat distribution around the hips, thighs, and buttocks, is subcutaneous fat, and therefore poses less of a health risk compared to visceral fat.[24
(the link from 23 and 24 are on wikipedia)

So while it might look the best it's great what you're doing for your body!

Ok, what CAN you do about it, though? Continue to lose weight and it will eventually go away (well, most of it, you can't get to 0% body fat). It seems like you're doing really well so far, and since you're getting so much time on your feet I wouldn't stress about getting in much of a cardio workout either.

However, DO start strength training. Even if it's just once a week on your day off (although if you can squeeze in at least a second, short workout it would be best). You can do A LOT of wonderful things with just body weight: squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, punches, crunches, mountain climbers etc. Now, if you do have access to a gym, even better! I'm a big fan of heavy lifting because that's what will really build your muscles, which can have significant changes in your appearance. I also have to recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women because it's one of my absolutely favorite books and has made a world of a difference for me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote