Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/215/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Spaghetti Tofu

So i bought Tofu for the first time at Whole Foods i wanted to show my dad we CAN live without meat, so i wanted to replace the beef with tofu. How should this be prepared? I have Super firm tofu btw.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Also i'm super excited i found a $1 off coupon for Morning Star, and earlier today when i went to Food Lion when i bought my "Chicken" burgers i got a $1.50 off coupon for any Morning Star burgers. So i get $2.50 off when i use both coupons, and they cut the price down to $3.70. I come to the conclusion that with coupons i pay $1.20. I just thought i'd share, stoked to try it tomorrow!

Last edited by MacAndEase; 09-25-2011 at 09:18 PM.
MacAndEase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #2  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I have to be honest in that I am not entirely sure that tofu will work in a spaghetti sauce? I use lentils or soy meat balls in spaghetti sauce (fantastic!) and you can also use soy crumbles or broken up boca burgers to replace the beef.

Tofu is more like a chicken or cheese equivalent then beef in my opinion (I could be wrong though?)...i can see it being mashed up as a cheese replace in a lasagna or spaghetti bake with marinara sauce...or you can bake slices of tofu it in the oven with marinara and serve it with spaghetti on the side.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have taken super firm tofu and mashed it with a fork to turn it into "crumbles." Sautee it in a teeny bit of oil, diced onions, various spices, garlic, etc in a frying pan until it's browned. Then mix it into the spaghetti sauce.

Also works as scrambled "eggs," in replacement of ground beef for chili, and lots of other things.

There are tons of stuff you can do with tofu. Stir fries/curries are some of my favorites. Red curry, penang (peanut) curry, green curry, Indian style curry/korma, Chinese soy sauce curry- lots of options.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #4  

My favorite way to sell a meat eater on tofu is extra firm, drained really well, dry fried and coated in a strongly flavored sauce, like barbecue sauce. If it's standing in for something else, in their mind, it's going to be an unfamiliar sub-par replacement. The one exception I've made to that is scrambled tofu inside a breakfast burrito, and that was pretty successful. But in general, I think badly prepared tofu has probably done more to scare people away from veg*nism than almost anything, except maybe bad soy cheese!
Modjeska is offline   Reply With Quote