Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #1  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Exercise Paradox

two facts about me:

1) i absolutely love the awesome feeling i get after a great workout.
2) i absolutely hate self-motivating to go to the fitness center.

I DON'T GET IT.

i feel energized and accomplished after a work out (especially after i finish the 33 minute 'weight loss' program on the elliptical machine). i know i'll feel awesome after i go. i know there are tons of benefits. and once i'm there and going, i actually enjoy it and time flies.

i just have this awful, horrible time trying to make myself actually go to the point i talk myself out of going more than i actually go. every single day it's a battle of wills with myself whether i go or not. i usually only go on my husband's urging. i wish i understood myself better. is this just the old 'habit' of being lazy rearing it's ugly head?

does anyone else experience this?
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I always say the hardest part of going to the gym is the getting dressed and going part. Once you're there it's not bad at all. But getting there is the biggest challenge. It's not just you, it's me too!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/134/130

I suggest joining exercise classes. I did solo workouts for a long time but started losing focus and got bored. So I joined a Cardio/Sculpt class twice per week and had a blast meeting & working out with new friends. Joined more classes and had even more fun and pounds started melting. I now participate in 8 classes per week, including 2 zumba classes. Is much fun and weight stays off . I still do solo workouts sometimes too but not as often.
IDontKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

The single hardest part about working out is taking that first step.

I'm always happy after I've finished my walk, but actually getting up onto my treadmill... some days it feels like a real chore.

It's why I don't rely on how I feel. It's not an option. I get up there whether I like it or not. I cannot trust myself to do something when I feel like it. I must simply do.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #5  

i would love to join a zumba class... however, the fitness center is one on a very small college campus and features 2 elliptical machines, 2 treadmills, 2 stationary bikes, a universal gym, some free weights, and a couple misc small things. no trainers, no classes, just a converted L shaped small room.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #6  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I agree that the hardest part is the first step. Try not to think about going to the gym, just get dressed, step outside and sit in the car...THEN think about going to the gym. i bet nine times out of ten, that you'll go just because you already in the car.
If I woke up and thought about working out while I was still in bed, I would never get out of bed. the moment I wake up, I strech, then get up, and get dressed and put my shoes on...THEN i think about if I want to go to the gym or take a walk or dance in front of the tv. it's easier when your already ready and have less excuses in front of you.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #7  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Oh yes, it is the mystery of life! Pretty much only way it works for me is schedules.

When I know I have to go, I go. Planning is my life when it comes to weight loss.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I would suggest trying to go the same time each day. I do this and have since gotten so used to going at that time I just get up and go. I don't even think about it anymore.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I'm the same! Love the actual workout and I feel awesome afterwards, but most of the time I have to force myself to go do it. Weird. Guess I have to look at it like I did the food part of it... not a diet, a lifestyle. So, exercise is something I'll always have to do and I'd better get used to it. Lol
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Why am I reading this right now? Because I'm avoiding working out! So glad I found this post! I NEVER regret exercising, but ALWAYS regret NOT exercising. Doesn't make sense that I too resist something that makes me feel so good!

Fine....off to walk!
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #11  

sakai - the fitness center doesn't require a car, which is nice. i walk maybe MAYBE 5 minutes, halfway across campus from the student apartments to the student union building.

and because it's so close, and i don't work (yet), i could literally go ANY TIME. i typically like to wait until my husband has a free hour because he likes to go too, so we can have some time together. with his class load and crazy amounts of homework i don't get to see him much. he's always in class, in the library, or in the computer room.

i hope it gets easier! (actually making myself go... the exercising is already easier)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

It's a law of physics, Mandy. A body at rest tend to stay at rest. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. Just try to make it part of your routine. you're still settling in to a new life in a new town. And constantly remind yourself how good it feels when you're there. You'll get back into the routine of things - then it will be "a body in motion . . . "

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #13  
Amanda

S/C/G: 272.5/see ticker/172.5

Height: 5'4

Perhaps you could find a workout partner? I just read that you're unable to join a class. I know that when my best friend and I started working out together, having her hold me accountable to when I would go [she'd get SO MAD if I stood her up or made an excuse] got me going much more than just on my own.
DreadPiratePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I used to have this problem, but with time I became retrained and no longer have this issue very often. When I did have it I would reward myself for going. I would find a really great book, but only let myself read it after I'd done my gym thing for the day. I'd tell myself that I couldn't surf the net or watch any television until after the gym. If I went all the days that I planned to go for a month then I got to buy myself a treat - a new t-shirt or some other small, not food thing.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Very Very common, most people I know more than half the battle is getting there, once you are there and geared up working out is "easy".

Lots of good suggestions.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote