South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #1  

Default Corn chip question

I'm not sure if these are legal or not. Im trying to stay away from wheat as much as i can because of the allergies. I found this brand of chip today called Food Should Taste Good. The only ingredients are: Stone ground corn, Sunflower Oil, Corn bran, lime juice and sea salt. It's 140 cal for 12 chips.

I'm making a vegetable chili and just thinking how nice it would be to have a few of these chips with it but dont want to take any chances! Any thoughts? Thanks!

Now I have myself thinking I should probably just make a bit of brown rice or quinoa....

Last edited by anilom007; 09-20-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Looked in the cabinet and the brown rice was staring back at me!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

These are a no-no, because of the ground corn.

Have you thought about making your own chips? Just get a whole wheat tortilla, spray it on both sides with Pam and cut it into eights with a pizza cutter, season as you wish, and bake them in the oven until crispy.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #3  

I should have known lol I was starving and had to have dinner so I had it with 1/2 cup of brown rice just to be safe. Glad I did.

Thats a great idea with the tortillas - Im going to try it w/the Gluten free brown rice tortillas. Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #4  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default I have a related corn question...

I scanned my Ph2 list and didn't see corn but I did see popcorn which is a type of corn. Is whole kernel corn not on the list because of the glycemic index?

I didn't normally eat corn too often but I wonder how many of you do eat it once in a great while. In the summer I love to have fresh grilled corn on the cob, there's just not much else like it. Corn is a grain & we can have grains so please can someone clarify this for me.

hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Someone else can probably explain this better, but popcorn is a slightly different variety of corn and lower GI.

Corn is one area that I don't stick to the straight and narrow. We rarely eat grains in my house, however we do occasionally indulge in an ear of fresh corn this time of year. I actually have less trouble with an ear of corn than with a serving of grain. We also occasionally use some Trader Joe's roasted corn in stews and sprouted corn tortillas, again in small, measured amounts. There is a lot of newer research about resistant starches including corn, and it may be an easier glycemic hit than originally thought. For us it was worth experimenting carefully, as I said it's not by the book. (based both on SBD and a diabetic diet). I wouldn't touch processed corn though, any more than I would any processed grain.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #6  

I have my Supercharged book online on a B&N reader. I did a search for the word "corn" and it comes up under P2 as one of the foods to "avoid or eat rarely." It's not a biggie for me, i think I would actually like the brown rice tortillas - but it would be interesting to see how others have made out.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #7  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Someone else can probably explain this better, but popcorn is a slightly different variety of corn and lower GI.

Corn is one area that I don't stick to the straight and narrow. We rarely eat grains in my house, however we do occasionally indulge in an ear of fresh corn this time of year. I actually have less trouble with an ear of corn than with a serving of grain. We also occasionally use some Trader Joe's roasted corn in stews and sprouted corn tortillas, again in small, measured amounts. There is a lot of newer research about resistant starches including corn, and it may be an easier glycemic hit than originally thought. For us it was worth experimenting carefully, as I said it's not by the book. (based both on SBD and a diabetic diet). I wouldn't touch processed corn though, any more than I would any processed grain.

Thank you for your post!
Ok, I feel pretty good about it then. I dont eat processed corn and even before SB I didn't. I just would like to eat it every now and then and not have to avoid something because it has it in it. I hope by the time fresh corn season rolls around for me again, I'll be pretty close to goal.

I have never heard of sprouted corn and have read that sprouted grains have a lower GI than not sprouted, so I assume corn is the same way.

I bought a bag of organic tortilla chips that's made with all sorts of different grains and the last ingredient was ground corn. I've eaten them twice with in the last month and haven't had any issues. But corn isn't something I'd normally have trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilom007 View Post
I have my Supercharged book online on a B&N reader. I did a search for the word "corn" and it comes up under P2 as one of the foods to "avoid or eat rarely." It's not a biggie for me, i think I would actually like the brown rice tortillas - but it would be interesting to see how others have made out.
Thanks for looking that up and thanks for posting this thread, it's something I've been meaning to ask about but I can never remember to do it.

I don't have the supercharged book, I have the 2003 book. I get all my updated information from the FYI in this forum.

Last edited by hpnodat; 09-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #8  

Im glad I stuck with the small svg of brown rice. I love South Beach...and forget even about the weight loss...it makes me feel so great, just taking time to really think twice about what I put in my body is paying off in every way!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

If I am just craving chips, I go for the brown rice ones BUT I know it's a trigger for me. the other night I made nachos for DW and used multigrain pita chips instead of the brown rice chips. they stayed crunchy and were a good scooper!

I either buy Lundberg or Riceworks. Eating Right Multigrain W/sea Salt Pita Chips are what I used in the nachos. Again, a rare treat though.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My problem is more the chips than the corn. For me chips are just a huge trigger and I am incapable of practicing portion control. I've had to just accept that and stop buying them.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote