Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Losing Weight and Loneliness

Hey everyone! I've been on the weight loss rollercoaster for a while. At the beginning of the year, I started slowly and steadily losing weight but lately I started stalling in my efforts. I think part of what's giving me trouble is how lonely I've been. Most of my friends have gotten married and moved away and I've been lonely and mostly eating out of sadness and depression. Can anyone relate? Any tips that might help?
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #2  
going for gold

I went through a phase like that where i moved countires and knew no one, my advice, go find some more friends... join a social group such as a running club or a dog walking club, knitting, painting what ever your heart desires... you'll soon enough make more friends... i started taking up classes at the local college and met some of my best friends today. and i find when i feel lonely or depressed and just want to munch on everything in the cupboard, i either turn some music on or just go for a walk down the road to distract myself.

Last edited by Andynoo; 09-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Andynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 212/209/125

Height: 5' 1.6"

My post isn't all that helpful, but yes I can relate.

I'm 25 years old and the last couple years just blew past me. I feel like I should only just be 21 and the last 4 years of my life have just vanished. I guess I remember just working everyday during that time, I didn't do much else. People I grew up with are getting married, and having their 4th child, and etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... I'd tell myself that they were doing all these things so early... but can they ALL really be jumping ahead of themselves? The thought never occurred to me that by the age of 25 I'd be behind everyone else. But maybe these people have all jumped in very early, that could be why the divorce rate is so high. I still really think that at 25 it's plenty young, right? The boyfriends I thought were forever, weren't forever for me. And I go long periods of loneliness in between boyfriends, I think my weight blocks my confidence and bravery to just talk to random people and make new friends. And I cant meet people where I work. I dated a coworker once, it wasn't so good for my career. As for advice? I'm not so qualified to give it at this point in time, feeling the exact same way and not having overcome that yet. But I've been advised by my mom even that I should just get out more, join clubs hang with friends and meet people that way. Maybe my new gym will help me in that department too. I do technically have a boyfriend who we've been friends for many years and we just started dating at the end of May. But... we got into a petty fight, and he hasn't spoken to me for about 30 hours. So that might be over. But I'll live. *shrugs*
Love Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #4  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

My husband is in the military, so we move quite a bit and our military friends move also, so it seems like I'm always having to meet new people! I agree that it's a great idea to join some groups/clubs. Meetup.com is a great place to start. You can type in your interests and find people who you may have common ground with! You could also join some type of team (kickball/softball, roller derby, a running club, etc.) which would aid your weight loss and introduce you to health-conscious new friends!

LoveGuardian, I'm sure that some people (both young and old) jump into marriage too quickly, but at the same time, I think that everyone meets their match when they're meant to.... I fell in love with my husband when I was 18, was married by 22 and I'm now 27 with two babies and he was the best thing that has ever happened to me. My four best friends are all still single though and on totally different life paths. Don't worry, 25 is definitely still plenty young!
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! It's good to know that I'm not the only one whose felt this way and I know that I can always come here if I need support and encouragement! :-)
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote