Maintainer Introductions our stories and photos

Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Back, and ready to maintain

Hi everyone!

I'm back on 3FC after a long absence and have spent a few days lurking around various places before feeling comfortable enough to post again. I've chosen the maintainers forum after reading the sticky on relapsing. Last time I was here I didn't feel like I "belonged" in the maintainer forum yet. Now, I see that I need to start the maintaining mindset now even though I have weight to lose.

I've relapsed terribly. I lost 40 lbs between 2002-2003 and lost about 10 more lbs between 2004-2005. I was able to keep the initial 40 lbs off for 3 years or so. In 2006, I started teaching again and I've allowed my weight to ever so slowly creep back up to my initial starting weight. This was/is devastating to me because I had been so certain that I had finally done it; I had finally gotten rid of the weight demon for life. I was (still am?) profoundly disappointed in myself and it took me quite some time to get myself back to the state of mental clarity and commitment I needed to give this thing another try. A permanent, final try.

I know how to lose weight. I AM losing weight, and have been for about 2 months now. Losing isn't the issue. I know I'll get back to my goal weight, it will just take time and continued commitment. Maintaining is my issue.

So here I am . I'm looking forward to reading, posting, and learning from everyone here.

Kate

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

back, Kate! It's good to see you again. Lose one pound and keep it off, you're a maintainer.

You might like the maintainers' weekly chat thread. They talk about dogs *a lot* there. Dog behaviour, problems, breeds, toys, things I don't understand. No basset hounds there yet, I think.
And they talk about maintaining a bit.

Join in wherever you fancy. I'm mostly in the Operation 5-10lbs or more thread. There are at least two of us who are in the 'or more' category.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi Kate!
Yes, we do talk about dogs a great deal. I'm one of the guilty ones!
I currently have a Great Dane (age 7) and a Doxie puppy (age 6 months).

My dh's family had Bassets so I'm very familiar with them and their slobberiness!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back, Kate (I remember you!).

You aren't alone. I lost 120+ pounds, kept it off for a couple of years and then it started coming back. About 50 pounds of it came back!

So, you are in good company
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #5  
No description available.

I feel ya, Kate, and would like to second Silver's invitation to the Operation 5-10 or more thread. I could have written your post myself (except for the teaching part).
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #6  

Thanks for the warm welcome . Looking forward to getting to know folks!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #7  

Kate, I responded to one of your posts on another thread, but I'll reiterate here that I could have written your post. I, too, teach. About six years ago, I had lost 45 lbs. and was wearing a 4/6. I really, really, thought that that was it for me---that I would never regain (as I had done so many times in the past). Well, I, too, got a new teaching job, got stressed out, and regained all the weight I lost. It completely discouraged me, and it has taken me six years to get back the motivation to try again.

We can do this! I feel differently now that I ever have before. Right now, anything I do is preceded by this question: "Am I willing to do this for life?" If my answer is "no," then I'm not doing it to lose weight either even if it means I lose at a slower rate. In other words, this is a lifetime commitment for me now. I'm encouraged because that is not the mindset I previously had. Even when I was thin, I used to throw inner temper tantrums about what I had to do to keep off the weight (e.g., workout for 1.5 hours at the gym 5-6 days a week). Now I realize that I cannot do that for life, so I am not even attempting to do it now.

Last edited by lin43; 09-19-2011 at 08:01 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #8  

Hi Lin,

It's so nice to hear I'm not alone! Teaching really did a number on me weight-wise (I'm on sabbatical this year and trying to decide if I really want to go back). I noticed a pattern the other day. I've left teaching twice (not including this time). Each time, I've lost a significant amount of weight. I've returned to teaching twice. Each time I've gained a significant amount of weight. I'm beginning to think I need to leave teaching permanently for my health.

Thanks for your support and for sharing your experiences and wisdom .
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #9  
Workin' It

Welcome, Kate! Definitely hang out and chat with us!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey - welcome back! I have found that I need 3FC to be successful. The support and daily accountability is really key for me. Any time I drift away, my weight goes up. So, I've made daily check-ins with 3FC part of my maintenance plan.

Last edited by Glory87; 09-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote