General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #1  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Default Help! Think I'm hitting a plateau here...

Oh my goodness I am so stressed out about this! I am currently 5'6 and about 189-190 and have lost about 60 pounds. This is wonderful but now I feel like I've hit a plateau... the weight is going down but a lot slower. I eat around 1600-1700 cals on some days but most days around 1200-1400. I don't know what to do. Granted, I haven't been hitting the gym as much but I am really freaking out about calorie intake. On the weekends I usually take in more but I don't want to restrict myself so much that I hit a complete plateau and don't lose any weight. Any suggestions? I'm kind of losing my mind here it is so frustrating to be in this position!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Congrats on the 60!!

Weight loss is not linear, and plateaus happen. They aren't the black hole of weight loss that once you "hit" you can't get out of. I think people here freak out about them more than necessary ^_^. It doesn't mean something is wrong, it's just how the body works.

Weight loss WILL slow down the closer you get to goal. This is inevitable. I only have 10 lbs to lose and I never lose faster than 1-2 lbs a month.

At your height and weight you can probably hit around 1500 and still lose. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, you'll have to play around. But DON'T freak out if weight loss slows. This is natural and not an indication that you should seriously drop your calories.

Switching up macronutrients (lowering carbs, raising proteins) never hurts, and neither does calorie cycling. Taking a diet break (eating at maintenance for a week or so) is also a good idea. All of these methods keeps the body "guessing"- confusing it enough so it stops being so darn efficient at burning calories .

You could try one or more of these methods and see what happens. But don't feel like you have to, and don't worry if it doesn't accelerate your weight loss to the previous speeds you were used to. Just stick with what you're doing, get your exercise and activity in, and keep chugging away- you're almost there!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

hit the gym!

I just started working out regularly this month. I did a small amount of walking before, but not really in a focused way. Now I exercise for at least 20 minutes a day, and it's usually longer. (I hope to work up to longer but it's still a lot more than I was doing).

Before I started this, my weight loss had begun to slow down, and the exercise has totally revved it back up. I've lost 9 lbs already this month!! I bet you will be pleased with the results if you go back to regular exercise, plus toning makes you look better regardless of how fast the pounds come off.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  

I agree with indiblue. Figure out the maintenance calories for your goal weight. Then, eat at that number of calories for a week. Then, go back to your losing calories the following week. Wait until the end of that second week to weigh yourself. I've heard that this works, and I'm planning to try it soon.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #5  
Jesus is my strength!

S/C/G: 501lbs/240lbs/160lbs

Height: 5'5 1/2

Congradulations on your weight loss, excersize increase is what breaks a plateau for me.
Carisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

It doesnt sound like a plateau to me. You stated you have not been to the gym as often... so, if you are taking it a little easier - the numbers will show such.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #7  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

The weeks around TOM make me stall then it goes back to normal... Maybe that? Also maybe you're clogged up so to say.. If I don't lose I try eating beans or extra fiber, and usually take a really long walk when I can to try and get everything going again.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote