Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/?/150

Height: 5'4

Question A flat tummy after a c-section?

Hey guys i was wondering if any of you moms out there have had a c-section and did ever able to get your lower belly to be a least somewhat flat or get complete feeling back. I had my c-section over a year ago where they did the cut you cant even see so i am happy about that but the skin above it is a different story. I feel like it is never going to go anywhere and i will be stuck with it in less i have a tummy tuck or something! If you have got it to look somewhat nice please let me know how you did it. Also what are some good workouts to help with abs and how often should i work my abs?
Icey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #2  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I had a c-section with my daughter and I didn't have any issues with it returning to it's previous size/shape. I know a lot of people say they have a pooch or belly pouch and they don't know how to get rid of it. I hope there is someone else here that can answer your question for you.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

I had a C-section as well. Before I got pregnant I was a couple of lbs overweight but I still had a flat tummy. After the baby I had all this belly fat for some reason, even though a month after having her I was at pre-prego weight. I know part of it probably has to do with all the stretchmarks, which results in a greater surface area of skin... which unfortunately equals more sag. Also being pregnant pushes your ab muscles away from eachother so they don't efficiently work like they used to as a natural fat girdle. I think sometimes your body composition just changes, I don't think your pouch has anything to do with the c-section. Maybe your body composition just changed and you store more of your fat in your belly than you're used to (especially if you're stressed which is usually the case after having a baby).

Also... I don't know how long ago you had your baby, but it takes a long time for all of that swelling to go down, your insides are going to be inflamed while they're healing.

All you can do is give it time, find a good ab workout video (I really like the jillian michaels ab workout video) and do it every other day, and continue to work towards getting to your goal weight. Its not really possible to spot fat reduce but toning your abs will help the look of your tummy. Just have patience... your pouch might be the last thing to go, but don't lost hope, definitely the more you work on it the better it's going to look! And if you're still not happy with your pouch in the end when all is said and done, a tummy tuck is always an option
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Hey, Icey! I found a couple articles that might help: here and here.

Like luckyme said, your stomach might end up being the hardest place to lose weight, but based on what I read in those articles, it's totally possible. You know I haven't had children, but my lower stomach and upper thighs have been the hardest places for me to lose. You can do this!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I had a pooch before my C-section, and enhanced by c-section. I doubt I will ever be pooch-less without the help of cosmetic surgery (which isn't happening any time soon). I know of flat bellied women who returned to their flat bellied state with exercise, though.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
I had a pooch before my C-section, and enhanced by c-section. I doubt I will ever be pooch-less without the help of cosmetic surgery (which isn't happening any time soon). I know of flat bellied women who returned to their flat bellied state with exercise, though.
This. I had some complications with my recovery from my first c-section which exacerbated the problem as well. I have a deep valley where my scar is, and only plastic surgery would ever get me to a point where there wasn't that indentation.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 159/159/135

Height: 5'8"

I had a c-section with my twins...about 8 years ago now. I definitely had that pooch that hung over my incision. It took a long time but did eventually go away so now the scar is flat...even tho I still have plenty of yucky fat I need to get rid of! In the beginning I did tons and tons of walking. As I gained strength I was able to do some core exercises. I would recommend anything that really gets into your core to strengthen it. Pilates....the mat classes...work great. Right now I do not belong to a gym so I am swinging kettle bells at home. They are a super quick way to really target and strengthen your core...highly recommended. They tend to be pricey, but you can make them yourself. Let me know if you are interested and I can post how to make one.
Good luck and just keep it up! Even if it is just a little each day. I need to take my own advice and get a little workout in today .

Last edited by poppygirl; 09-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.
poppygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I had a super flat stomach before having my daughter, had a c-section, and one year late when I had dropped the 70lbs I gained I had a flat stomach again. It's not the same (I went from a 24 inch waist to a 25 inch waist because of a little loose skin) but it's not noticeable in clothes.

The more time you're out, the less you'll notice it. My daughter just turned four and the scar is barely there, though I still have a little bit of extra skin.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
The more time you're out, the less you'll notice it. My daughter just turned four and the scar is barely there, though I still have a little bit of extra skin.
Grrrr. I'm almost 8 years out and my scar still BURNS and itches sometimes. I had a pooch before and a pooch after.

Last edited by ennay; 09-16-2011 at 12:06 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 68kg/66kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

I sympathise. I had my son by c-section in '97, then another pregnancy (natural birth) and I have the "overhang"
I never got rid of it, even when I lost my weight the first time around, although it did greatly improve with weight loss. And I too have an area where there is a loss of sensitivity to touch. It's annoying but I have accepted that the nerves were permanently damaged.
You can improve it a little with lower ab exercises - the one where you lie on your back, point your legs up un t he air, bent only at the hips, then push your heels upwards, lifting your b u t t off the ground that is really good for tightening the lower abs!

Maybe if it is just noticeably reduced ,you will be happier with it?
Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 226/?/150

Hey thanks guys that has helped tons. Katie yes they both helped!!! I am pretty excited i must say when i got my shower and started to get dressed i already started to see little bit of a difference in my lower belly! But i am going to keep working hard to get where i want to be!!!!

Also Antipodes- So you still have not got the feeling back in your lower belly it is still really sensitive and it is so odd!!!
Icey21 is offline   Reply With Quote