Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default did you plateau?

I'm just wondering, those who are a ways into the journey...Did you plateau in your weight loss? If so, how far in?
I'm wondering because, 10 weeks in I'm down 26 lbs. That's got me averaging roughly 10 lbs a month. If that's the case, I'll hit my goal a lot sooner than expected. The tracker that I used said that, at 1-2 lbs a week, I could expect to hit my goal in March of 2013. At the rate I'm going, I'll hit my goal by October-November of next year, and that's without doing any real exercise, just cutting calories. If I start exercising like I plan to (my initial goal was to lose 25 before I started exercising, just to get a little extra weight off my knees) then it stands to reason that the loss will speed up.
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I hit a plateau about 3 weeks ago (12 Weeks into my journey).

I was so frustrated. Our bodies are just trying to get used to the new weight. I think 2-4 weeks at a plateau is okey but if you are still standing still after a month I would suggest you spice thing up a bit. Eat different foods or some new excercises.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Wow, you're doing great in terms of weight loss! I've never had quick weight loss and have definitely had some plateaus along the way. I don't think it's necessary that you'll have plateaus but it certainly can happen. I'm not sure if you watch the biggest loser but even there where you have amazing trainers, no other commitments besides working out and eating right, and great advice when it comes to healthy foods, people still hit plateaus.

Some don't, though, some are pretty stead at losing the entire time, I sure wish I was one of those people but it's not meant to be. Maybe you are, though!

The only thing I can really say is no matter what just stick with it and you'll reach your goal. In the long run does it matter if it happens a few months later (or even a year or so later) than you originally though?

ETA: I just noticed on your ticker that you just got out of the 300's, congrats, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-16-2011 at 07:16 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I haven't hit an actual plateau, yet, but I've had my fair share of stall/maintain weeks, and gain weeks. July was a particularly slow month even though I was following my plans exactly. Can't do much about it. It is what it is.

Weight loss in the beginning is often faster, by the way, so the closer you get to goal you might not *always* be able to assume 10 pounds a month.

Just go with the flow, whatever it is, and you'll get to where you want to be eventually
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I hit one 20 lbs in, then again 40 lbs in and again 60 lbs in. every 2 lbs I tend to hit a stalemate for about 1-2 maybe 3 weeks then get a series of whooshes. I just wade them out, Sometimes Ill up cals for a day or two, up the exercise or whatever I feel like doing.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

I just want to be prepared. I don't want to hit a plateau and give up, because I'm so proud that I've even made it this far!
I am a little more worried now because I had to start Prozac today. I've heard it can cause a gain, but the doctor said that it used to be used as an appetite suppressant.
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I think everyone has a different experience. Just know that it will probably happen and stay on plan and things will turn around. I didn't hit one till I had lost over 75 pounds, but it still was like a slap in the face because I knew I'd been eating the right things and exercising the same as before. It was a couple weeks of staying close to the same weight and then I had a 3 pound drop in one week.

Just be aware, too, that any drug can have an effect on appetite and metabolism. Keep it all in perspective and you'll do well. Congrats on such a great loss in just 10 weeks. Be proud.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Like Lin said everyone is different and kudos to you on your weight loss and for looking ahead to be prepared! I've used Prozac and had no issues with weight gain. (I did have panic attacks with it and had to be taken off). I was put on Paxil and that one is the one that did me in and helped me to put on 100 pounds. I wasn't prepared and ended up just giving up on all my weight loss efforts. I'm now on Wellbutrin and it has less side effects for me.

My advice if a plateau comes due to the medication is to ride it out and stick to your lifestyle change no matter what. Know that as long as you are continuing to eat healthy and exercise you aren't causing it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I was lucky. I never had a plateau during my weight loss. It took me 17 months to reach my goal and during that time I was very faithful to my plan and I also only weighed on Friday mornings. Only 2 times did I not have a loss for the week, (several months apart), and even then the following week I was blessed with a terrific "whooshing" weigh in.

Not everyone has a "real" plateau. Actually, in my humble opinion, and my life experiences as a yo-yo dieter...an honest to goodness (prolonged) non-self-induced plateau is kind of rare.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I am in a plateau now - 1 month, same weight BUT I completely blame myself. I usually exercise 5 times a week and am on 1400-1600 calories a day. My knee has been blown out for about 2 weeks now so my exercise has been non-existent, and my calories were more along the lines of 1600-1800 for the 2 weeks prior to that. I plan on making my final push to goal weight by upping the exercise and staying down at the lower end of the calories (which I am doing now) once I can bend my dang leg again.

I also agree with Lori Bell as someone who has also gone through this process already. I "real" plateau is very rare. If you take an honest look at your food intake and activity, most plateaus are self-induced and it is up to you to make the changes necessary to lose again. Unless you have a health issue, all losing weight is (on the most simplistic level) is calories in vs calories out. So if you are plateauing, it simply means your internal calorie-usage scale is balanced and you need to work on making sure the OUT exceeds in the in by at least 500 calories per day (for a 1 pound a week loss).

Last edited by Pacifica Bee; 09-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

I plateaued after I lost about 60lbs, and this was almost a year ago...it's been much harder to lose weight since then.
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #12  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
I also agree with Lori Bell as someone who has also gone through this process already. I "real" plateau is very rare. If you take an honest look at your food intake and activity, most plateaus are self-induced and it is up to you to make the changes necessary to lose again. Unless you have a health issue, all losing weight is (on the most simplistic level) is calories in vs calories out. So if you are plateauing, it simply means your internal calorie-usage scale is balanced and you need to work on making sure the OUT exceeds in the in by at least 500 calories per day (for a 1 pound a week loss).
I have to disagree here. I plateaued for awhile when I started incorporating in heavy weight lifting. I was losing inches like crazy but the scale didn't budge for about 6 weeks (and actually went up some).

Eventually it started going down again without any major changes to my diet/exercise routine and after that I started losing consistently 2lbs/month. I really don't feel my story is that strange being that I've seen posts on here often about losing inches and not losing weight while having an especially intense exercise routine. Water weight does crazy things to your body!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I have to disagree here. I plateaued for awhile when I started incorporating in heavy weight lifting. I was losing inches like crazy but the scale didn't budge for about 6 weeks (and actually went up some).
I wasn't considering she might be lifting weights, which is another aspect to fitness. Muscle gain will of course add/maintain, not decrease, the number on the scale (at least at first). I was keeping it simple since the OP is at the beginning of her journey.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #14  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
I wasn't considering she might be lifting weights, which is another aspect to fitness. Muscle gain will of course add/maintain, not decrease, the number on the scale (at least at first). I was keeping it simple since the OP is at the beginning of her journey.
That's fine. But I just wanted to point it out that it can happen in case someone else was reading along and felt bad/confused why they had dealt with a plateau when everyone else is saying that it's extremely rare.

I've never dealt with the diet only aspect of weight loss so I can't comment on that in regards to plateaus but I know when you're doing diet+ exercise (especially intense exercise) it can certainly happen. Sounds fairly counterintuitive, doesn't it!

ETA: I also wanted to add for the OP's sake that plateaus are definitely not a reason to be scared away from exercise (when you do feel comfortable starting up). Like I said, I've dropped a lot of inches because of it, can do so much more physically, and feel better in general. It's also something totally dependent on your body. Some people on here do just fine losing quickly with exercise. I just happen to not be one of them but I'm 100% Ok with that.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-23-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
That's fine. But I just wanted to point it out that it can happen in case someone else was reading along and felt bad/confused why they had dealt with a plateau when everyone else is saying that it's extremely rare.
I said it was rare for me, not everyone. That is why I carefully chose my words to include "in my experience". I also wanted to add that some people will argue what constitutes a plateau. Some people think a few days without a loss is a plateau and some people think a few months without a loss is an actual plateau...So unless everyone agrees to an exact definition then the point is really moot...IMHO
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote