General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Sugar: The bitter truth

This may have been posted on this forum before, but I just ran across it somewhere else and holy cow is it enlightening. It surely explains why calorie cutting isn't always enough and why low fat foods cause weight gain, among other things. If I were a teacher, I'd make this required viewing in Health Class, for certain!

It's a LONG video but it is so enlightening and the doctor doing the presenting does a great job of keeping it simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #2  

I'm going to watch this when I get home because I am all for better awareness about sugar and where it is, how much of it we overeat, etc.

The worst thing I found myself? Sugar AND icing sugar (confetioner's sugar) in, of all things, PEANUT BUTTER!

Sugar is bad enough, but icing sugar on top of it?!?
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

Let me know what you think. Honestly, by the time I got done watching that video, I felt like I had been duped by the FDA and the Food Pyramid and all the Low-Fat crap being pushed on us every day. The guy explains the biochemical process on how fructose in particular is as bad for your body as alcohol and how it gets stored as fat and causes diabetes, obesity, hypertension, gout, liver problems, etc. He also explained why a sugar calorie is actually NOT the same as a calorie from a whole food and shows the direct correlation of weight gain in America and the advent of high fructose corn syrup in our processed foods.

And I agree- sugar AND icing sugar in peanut butter? I'm definitely going to be checking my labels better from now on!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I felt like I had been duped by the FDA and the Food Pyramid and all the Low-Fat crap being pushed on us every day.
This is exactly how I felt after reading up on veganism. I felt like such a fool believing the government protects us. Ha. Will look at this at home, too. Thanks!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #5  
it's always something

Thanks, I'm going to bookmark that for later! The first 5 minutes are very interesting.

I'm not sure if he's going in the same direction (probably is) but I'm a big fan of the World Health Organization (WHO) study on sugar that was released a few years ago. They linked increased sugar consumption to major diseases around the world. They recommended the entire world limit sugar consumption to no more than 10% of our daily calories. This is for added sugar, which does not include the normal consumption of fruits or the sugar that naturally occurs in dairy and other foods. Just added sugar (this also includes when other items such as fruit juice are added for additional sweetening effect on foods). The sugar and soft drink industries pitched a huge fit, insisting that we should include at least 25% of our daily calories from added sugar.

Sadly, sugar shows up in just about everything in the form of high fructose corn syrup. It's not just a sweetener, but is also used in savory items because it helps extend shelf life, and is more profitable for manufacturers. Any food that contains HFCS is lower in quality and cheaper for them to produce.

I'm also not a fan of artificial sweeteners, so I retrained my sweet tooth.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
The sugar and soft drink industries pitched a huge fit, insisting that we should include at least 25% of our daily calories from added sugar.
...What.

I'm not even a person who delves too far into sugar or anything, but a QUARTER of my daily food intake coming from ADDED SUGAR?! I don't even know what to say!

Thank goodness I switched to water a long time ago and don't give my $$$ to the soda industries! I can only imagine what I'd look like if I followed that diet advice.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'll have to watch this when I have some time.

I'm basically on team sugar=evil. I know there are people who can handle it but it's seriously like a drug to me. Strangely enough, I do well with natural sweeteners and can control myself there, more or less, but sugar just makes me .

Once I gave up sugar cold turkey I was truly shocked how much sugar there is out there and in what a wide variety of products they put it in! It was also surprising how sensitive I was to it once I did include some of it back into my life. Whenever I bake I now always cut the sweetener in half in recipes and just can't stand things that are two sweet. Really, the amount that they put in food is just insane!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

Quote:
The sugar and soft drink industries pitched a huge fit, insisting that we should include at least 25% of our daily calories from added sugar.

He does go over all the diseases sugar is causing. And he also discusses what he calls the "Coca-Cola Conspiracy" and says the soft drink makers are 100% aware of how addictive sugar is. They design their drinks with a huge sodium content and caffeine content (which dehydrate) and make it palatable by adding tons of sugar. He showed how the size has increased from the original 6.5oz bottle to a 10oz, to a 20oz, to a 44oz big gulp, to a 60oz BUCKET.

The other very SCARY thing was he showed how fructose in particular fools the body. One, our bodies don't fully recognize it as sugar and so while it does cause our blood sugar to go up, our bodies don't respond by secreting insulin. Two, it messes up our hunger signals because fructose causes our bodies to not produce leptin (the hormone that tells us we're full) and tells us to overproduce ghrelin (the hormone that tells us we're hungry). They did study after study and people that eat or drinks sweetened with fructose or HFCS end up eating MORE because of it.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #9  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I'll have to come back and watch this later. Thanks!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
So I understand why they want us to believe we need that much (more profit for them), but how on earth did they attempt to justify or back that up? That is ridiculous!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to bookmark that for later! The first 5 minutes are very interesting.

I'm not sure if he's going in the same direction (probably is) but I'm a big fan of the World Health Organization (WHO) study on sugar that was released a few years ago. They linked increased sugar consumption to major diseases around the world. They recommended the entire world limit sugar consumption to no more than 10% of our daily calories. This is for added sugar, which does not include the normal consumption of fruits or the sugar that naturally occurs in dairy and other foods. Just added sugar (this also includes when other items such as fruit juice are added for additional sweetening effect on foods). The sugar and soft drink industries pitched a huge fit, insisting that we should include at least 25% of our daily calories from added sugar.

Sadly, sugar shows up in just about everything in the form of high fructose corn syrup. It's not just a sweetener, but is also used in savory items because it helps extend shelf life, and is more profitable for manufacturers. Any food that contains HFCS is lower in quality and cheaper for them to produce.

I'm also not a fan of artificial sweeteners, so I retrained my sweet tooth.
He basically addressed all of this. He also discussed the differences between glucose (from pasta and potatoes) and fructose (from sugar, HFCS) and how the sugar is the toxin/poison, NOT the glucose. Same with lactose found in milk, which is safe and treated differently in the body than the fructose. He discussed that fruit has fructose but it's in limited amounts and coupled with fiber so it does not have the same effect on the body. It was fascinating, scary, and mortifying all at the same time. He says not all calories are treated the same in the body, which to some degree, I had already known. I could always eat higher calories of fruits and veggies and still lose.

Also, he discussed that fiber has been PURPOSELY REMOVED from many of our foods to increase shelf life to export overseas. He said even sugarcane, from where sugar is extracted before being refined, has quite a bit of fiber to balance it out. But manufacturers remove it.

The fact that the garbage is so cheap to produce and that this all stemmed from money interests was even more horrifying. I would be lying to myself to say I'll cut out sugar altogether permanently but it certainly made me stop and think and be more conscious of what I am eating.

Last edited by christine123; 09-14-2011 at 02:14 PM.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #12  

Quote:
This may have been posted on this forum before, but I just ran across it somewhere else and holy cow is it enlightening. It surely explains why calorie cutting isn't always enough and why low fat foods cause weight gain, among other things. If I were a teacher, I'd make this required viewing in Health Class, for certain!

It's a LONG video but it is so enlightening and the doctor doing the presenting does a great job of keeping it simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
Yes. It's not the fats, it's the sugars that are making us fat! That's why we are blowing up and low-fat diets are hard and don't work. Also so much of the fat in low-fat food is replaced with sugar to make it palatable. It's eye-opening. Thanks so much for posting.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Also, he discussed that fiber has been PURPOSELY REMOVED from many of our foods to increase shelf life to export overseas. He said even sugarcane, from where sugar is extracted before being refined, has quite a bit of fiber to balance it out. But manufacturers remove it.
Yes, and I found it fascinating that he calls fiber a macronutrient that is largely missing from the American diet. We all hear we need fiber but he's talking about 150-300 grams a day and saying it's necessary.

I'm going to have to re-watch his entire lecture, because it made more sense to me than a lot of the gobbledey-gook the gov't has been throwing at us.

Did you see the part about the obesity epidemic in BABIES (who clearly are not making their own food decisions) and how it's linked to the amount of sugar in the baby formula??? OMG. A serving of formula has as much sugar in it as a soda pop!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I actually almost cried when he was talking about baby formula. It's evil, it really is.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #15  

Quote:
Yes, and I found it fascinating that he calls fiber a macronutrient that is largely missing from the American diet. We all hear we need fiber but he's talking about 150-300 grams a day and saying it's necessary.

I'm going to have to re-watch his entire lecture, because it made more sense to me than a lot of the gobbledey-gook the gov't has been throwing at us.

Did you see the part about the obesity epidemic in BABIES (who clearly are not making their own food decisions) and how it's linked to the amount of sugar in the baby formula??? OMG. A serving of formula has as much sugar in it as a soda pop!
I was BEYOND mortified!!!! I could not believe babies are ingesting this type of garbage! I struggle everyday with the sugar issues and hate that I am such a junkie and then you have these companies creating junkies at 6 months old??? It's so darn sad, I can't stand it! And I didn't even think about the pregnant moms ingesting the sugars and passing it on. It's no wonder what's happening to kids. The taste buds and neuropathways that control reward and pleasure sensors are all in the early stages of life at this age. This is criminal because when you hardwire a baby this early in life, it's very hard (and some would say impossible) to reverse later on.

Last edited by christine123; 09-14-2011 at 06:30 PM.