Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/300/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Just Starting for the First Time

Hello Everyone!

I met a woman who has lost 90 pounds in the past year. I have about 120 - 140 to lose. She said "something just clicked." I'm not sure that that has happened to me yet, but giving away my skinny clothes to the flood victims doesn't feel that great. I've had them for 7 years! My conscience is getting the best of me so, I'm giving away some of them, but my goal is to get into the rest of those GAP jeans in 6 months... Here goes!

I've been lurking this board for a while since I decided that WW wasn't working for me (too much leeway and too slow). So I ordered a 2 week supply and I'm starting today! I've picked up a lot of tips around the boards, so instead of getting the standard starter program, I got similar foods in different flavors that I figured I would enjoy.

I blended my smoothie with ice. I'm sipping it as I type. I'm also boiling water to start soaking my oatmeal (blueberry) and soup (beef vegetable), which will be my second and third meal of the day. I will have a bar for #4 and another smoothie for #5 and a takeout salad for green.

I ordered soft serve, but I'm not sure that I understand. Should that be dessert?

I thought that the pamphlets that came with my order weren't that substantial. At this point, I'm not sure I understand it all. Any tips you can provide would be amazing!
MsGetRight25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Welcome!

Any of the Medifast meals can be eaten at any time of day--so soft serve isn't "dessert," it's a meal.

You can find lots more about specifics either by visiting the Medifast website (medifast1.com) or the Take Shape for Life website (tsfl.com). You can get lists of allowed condiments, allowed snacks (not meals), and so on!

What are you planning for your lean to go with the green? Make sure you eat enough of the lean. And make sure you drink enough water!

The materials aren't lengthy because following the program is pretty simple. A lot of folks read the book The Secret Is Out, which explains more about the medical stuff behind the Medifast program.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how you're doing!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey girl!

The simplicity is exactly why I decided on Medifast. WW is too much work for me, South Beach works but also requires lots of planning and it's too easy to cheat.

The first couple days will be physically tough. You WILL be hungry. Drink more water - it does help a little. It will get better, though.

The soft serve also makes a really nice thick shake. Any shake will thicken up a little if you make it ahead of time and stick it in the fridge. And like Jay said, you can eat any of the meals any time of day. Today I felt like a brownie for breakfast, so that's what I had!

What's great about this is that it's fast. I've lost my 50 pounds since mid-April, and I've been in a holding pattern for 4 weeks. I'm currently in the middle of a 6 week stretch of major events every weekend, so I go off plan on the weekend and get back on during the week. 2 more weekends of weddings and I'll be back on track.

You can do it! Don't be shy, and take a look around here - there's lots of tips and suggestions.

Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 318/300/180

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Ladies! I seriously struggled through the first day. I need to figure out the condiments and what I can do to make this stuff work for me.
MsGetRight25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Here's a couple more of my tips for you -

Extracts and spices are your friends - vanilla in the brownies and oatmeal, mint in anything chocolate, lemon in anything vanilla, orange in vanilla or chocolate (also yummy in brownies).

The soups all need seasoning, in my opinion. I even add a little salt.

Salsa is good in the chili.

Cook the eggs on the stove with some spices or hot sauce, a pinch of shredded cheese, top with salsa.

Cocoa powder makes any sweet meal better or completely different. It got me through the mango soft serves that I didn't like. It makes the hot cocoa richer, too. Add a little cayenne pepper to that cocoa and WOW - gourmet spicy hot cocoa.

It's probably the most calories of the optional snacks, but I LOVE peanut butter! A tablespoonful on a brownie is my favorite evening meal.

Hang in there - it gets better!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I just started yesterday and am excited! Good luck!

ETA: I'm amazed at all the tips on making the food taste better! Thanks!

Last edited by maryea; 09-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

After doing Medifast for about 6 weeks, my DH and I were sick and tired of the soups. We prefer a hot lunch so soups sounded like the best choice. We found that some were better than others but most had a kind of "off" taste. Thankfully I found a similar meal that we like a lot. Nashua Nutrition has several brands for sale that have pasta-like meal replacements. They average a bit higher in calories (130 vs 100) and a tad bit more fat but are higher in protein (12 vs 11). This is the one we like the most: spicy cheese and pasta
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #8  

MsGetRight25 - it looks like from your tracker you had a good week? Please update on how it went.

I just place my order today. DH lost a bunch of weight (over 50lb, if not 70, I think) on MF last year. With the stress selling our house and buying a new one this year, he put some of the weight back and this week went back on MF. So, it seemed like a good time for me to finally start. I've been thinking about it for months. I'm excited but nervous. I don't want to fail yet again at weight loss.

Since there are several of us staring MF this month, maybe we can start a weekly thread??
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/217/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Since there are several of us staring MF this month, maybe we can start a weekly thread??
I think that's a great idea!
InnerBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote