Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/288/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Finally someone noticed!!

August was a challenge for me and I only lost 3lbs, and I have had a difficult time getting my motivation back. A week ago I reached 29lbs total lost but I gained a few back, and I've avoided the scale for the past week. BUT..... today finally someone noticed I've lost weight!! I've been waiting for someone (besides the few who know I'm working on it) to notice and today it happened! Yay!! For me, this makes it seem more "real" somehow. Of course, others might have noticed before but just haven't said anything, but that comment this morning made my day and I feel more motivated to get back on track.
Katybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! That's a good feeling, for sure!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Congrats! I love hearing those compliments! Keep going.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/120/110

That's great! And it's just the biggining I'm sure!
20togo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #5  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #6  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katybug View Post
..... today finally someone noticed I've lost weight!! I've been waiting for someone (besides the few who know I'm working on it) to notice and today it happened! Yay!! For me, this makes it seem more "real" somehow.
Yay! Recognition of your hard work is so nice.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/215.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!
desertmouse2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  
Herbivore :)

S/C/G: 276/146/129

Height: 5'3.5

That is great news. I know how you feel. I too lost very little weight in august and I think that It was because I had reached a plateau. All in all, I had to work harder to lose the weight and I see more and more people noticing which then allows for me to be able to keep pushing through.
Rubiehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #9  

Height: 1'7.5"

Katy, that is wonderful! Not only that you lost and someone commented but that it made you happy and it motivated you to work hard toward your goal.

Does anyone feel awkward when people say something (positive) when they notice weight loss? I really dislike it and feel very, very, uncomfortable. I feel "watched" and completely dislike the sensation. Not in a paranoid way, don't misunderstand, but more in a "if they don't comment when I lose because THEY DON"T NOTICE , maybe they also don't notice when I gain". Unlikely, I know, but what can I say, the brain's gymnastics are a fascinating thing to study...I do like it though, if somebody who notices the change says that I look fit or I look well or good but not if they comment on the actual wt. loss. Is it just me? It is probably ungracious of me isn't it?
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

@Boomerang-

I hear what you're saying. Weight is SUCH an awkward issue either way. I saw a lady the other day that has probably lost 50 lbs since I last saw her. I literally did not recognize her at first but saw her looking at me. I looked back, and looked away...and then it registered that I recognized the hair. She always does her blonde hair in this short, spiky 'do and so I did a double take. I made a point to say, "You look terrific!" and leave it at that so she'd know I noticed the change but not to go on and on about her weight loss, you know? But I never do know if what I say is okay or too much or not far enough. Some people don't want to be noticed, some really want the affirmation.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #11  

Height: 1'7.5"

oh wow, EagleRiverDee, what an incredibly wonderful sensitive way to handle the situation!!!! Personally, I cannot imagine something better, since it ADDRESSES the change without implying anything about her FORMER appearance. The receiver of such a lovely compliment can always direct the conversation to her loss, if s/he wishes: "Oh thank you, yes I lost 50#" etc. etc, at which point (in my opinion), you have the freedom to comment about the wt. as opposed to how great she looks without specifying why. Again...that's just me, but then again, I hate to be the center of attention in any context.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #12  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

That is the best feeling! I've lost about 30 pounds as well and NO ONE at all would say anything except my mom and my best friend hen I'd show before and afters in their face begging for a oh yeah, you've lost some! lol And then one day I showed up at mom's work and her coworker said "how much have you lost and what's your secret?" And I was thinking **** yes, FINALLY!

It really adds more motivation and confidence, very proud of you and keep up the good work!!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #13  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I think the first completely innocent unsolicited comment about your weight loss is the sweetest. But the ones yet to come will feel pretty dam good, too.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I know how you feel about someone FINALLY noticing! When a heavy person loses, I think it's hard to see the diffrence at first. I am particularly careful to watch others at my gym that are trying to lose and sometimes a couple weeks go by and I don't notice even when I'm looking for it. So I just make sure to say,"You're looking great!" every so often!

I don't mind when someone specifically mentions that I've lost weight. I means they noticed and want to compliment you. To think that they never noticed that I was fat is unrealistic, so I take it for what it's worth. It was a little funny / awkward one day in Kmart, though, when an elderly woman from my church spotted me from a distance. She shouted for all the shoppers to hear, "I noticed you were losing weight when I saw you at church. You aren't sick, are you?" When I replied with a thumbs up signal, she shouted, "Oh, good. I was worried." So everyone shopping there that day knew I'd lost and I'm sure were holding back a laugh. LOL

Keep up the great work. People who notice will be your big motivators, I think.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote