Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default OMG freaking out!

So I've just found out I'm pregnant (about 4 weeks now, by my best guess. I go to the doctor Wednesday). I'm a strict calorie counter who's conditioned myself to eat NO MORE than 1,800 calories a day, and work out every day. I'm still working out (cardio three times a week, yoga two times), but this food thing is causing me some mental issues.

How did any of you preggo calorie counters get past the "counting"? How much did you start eating a day?

Right now I'm not even hungry. I just eat because I have to. I try to stick with healthy stuff: peanut butter and banana wrap and protein or fiber-filled cereal for breakfast, grilled chicken sandwich and salad for lunch, healthy dinner, snacks, etc. But I'm having a real problem letting go and allowing my calorie number to go up and up.

I feel so abnormal.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2  
tired of being tired

S/C/G: 160/151/110

Height: 5'1"

I have been pregnant 5 times. You can grow a healthy, full term baby on 1800 calories. You do not have to consume more. Whoever told you that 1800 calories is not enough is not up to date on the latest research.
arrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Agreed. Don't make the same mistake I did, by thinking since you are pregnant it doesn't matter. Payback is AWFUL if you let yourself go during pregnancy. Do the best thing and keep eating healthy and stick to your calories. One thing if you were maintaining on 1800--then you can safely eat 300 more calories per day. That is the recommendation. No such thing as eating for two. Make your calories count and take vitamins. Congratulations!!!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Don't freak out!

I've never been pregnant, but I've been doing my research because I want to hear the pitter patter of little feet one day I've heard the same thing as jendiet that you generally need just 300 calories extra a day to sustain a pregnancy. You don't need to 'eat for two' as some people would like you to think.

If you were working out before you got pregnant, you can still work out during your pregnancy (some old-school doctors will tell you not do anything but they don't live in the real world). Just pay attention to your body and cut back if you need to. As you progress you will probably have to modify your exercises to accomodate your belly

I've seen women at my gym exercising right up until their due dates! Granted they couldn't do all of the exercises, but they were there, right along with us! The instructors taught right up until their due dates too!

Last edited by sontaikle; 09-13-2011 at 08:26 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

There's a lady here in town who ran up until the month before she gave birth! I admire that...but I don't like running that much! I stick to the elliptical, light weights and yoga.

Luckily I'm going to see a very young doctor, so hopefully no old fashioned ideas about food and workouts and all.

And my GOSH people keep trying to feed me. I just tell them that weight gained in my backside won't do anything for the baby. I'm eating an extra 100 to 150 calories a day now (extra apple or PB with breakfast), just waiting to see what the doctor says. I want to be sure and do what he says, as far as weight gain and nutrition, and don't want to start out on the wrong foot.

Thanks, y'all!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I'd say it's best to wait until you have your doctor's recommendation.

People still sometimes have that silly thought that you're "eating for two," but the fact is, you're eating for one plus something that's the size of a pencil eraser for a long time!

So it's hard to know what a good calorie level is, and it will change as your baby grows. This is one case where your doctor's recommendations are probably a good guideline.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations!

I agree with the above posters, don't panic. You don't need that much more food, and exercise is ok. Heck my aunt went horseback riding almost everyday until the last 4 weeks, when the Dr. said she needed to back off until after the baby came.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mindi, Congratulations on your pregnancy. I have your read your posts and journey'd (sp?) with you for a long time now. I really do have every confidence that you will know what is best for your body and baby. Enjoy these precious months.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote