Old 09-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #1  

Default Kickboxing?

So, I've been looking around at the various classes I could take in the mornings to get in some more exercise other than just the walks I take the dog on. There's a rec center not far from me that offers a cardio kickboxing class in the morning that I'm thinking may be beneficial to me.

The only problem is I'm concerned that I won't be able to do it, that I'll look ridiculous in there, and I'll embarrass myself.

There are no other classes for the time of day that I need at this particular rec center (and no other rec centers close by) as I work afternoon/evening shift and even going for a 9 a.m. class when I work 3:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m, then 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. is going to be tough work but the class is only 1 day a week.

I am going to a women's only swim on Saturday morning between 6 and 8 a.m. I think being around just women, especially that early in the morning, won't be as embarrassing as, say, with the general swims.

But as for the kickboxing, what do you think? I've been more or less given the OK by my nurse practitioner that as long as I take my steroid puffer and I have my Ventolin inhaler for "rescues", she wants me to do as much exercise as I can to lose weight. I know that in the past cardio has worked really well for me. In 2008, I lost almost 30 pounds in 2-1/2 months by doing 45 minutes of jogging/walking a day plus a reduced calorie diet.

Do you think maybe I should go to the class next Thursday and just see what it's like, and if the instructor (who is a woman) seems nice, talk to her and see what she thinks? I'm not so good talking to people in fitness fields because I always feel like they'll look down on me for being so overweight, even though I know if I were them, I'd be trying to encourage someone like me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 09-09-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

You need to do this. No one but you cares what you look like in a class. I was just about where you are now in January. I joined a gym. Many times I was the oldest (60 years old) and heaviest (over 250 to start) in any given class. I was a little self conscious at first and then quickly realized no one was looking at me - they were all looking at themselves and concentrating on doing whatever the trainer was explaining for the class to do. All you need to do is go one time to realize this. You will probably make friends, get support, and become part of a group of like minded people.

We all look silly sometimes. Make a joke about it. Laugh. Have fun. Getting healthy is serious business, but it can be fun, too. My favorite classes at my gym are TurboKick and Karadio. Both are similar to Kick Boxing. Tell the instructor it's your first time and ask her to "keep an eye" on you for form, technique, etc. Ask questions. Nothing is worse than spending time in class and doing the exercises incorrectly. Get the most from your one session a week. Believe me, no one else cares what you look like while trying to kick an imaginary person in the knee!

And - don't worry that others can kick higher or harder than you - just go and do the best you can every time. You will improve with time and practice. You control the intensity - no one has a gun to your head! Stop for a second and catch your breath if you have to. Put yourself in a position in the class where you can see the instructor easily - directly behind her, perhaps. Make it as easy as possible to follow and get the most from the workout. When an instructor knows there is a new person in class, they usually take time to explain moves, etc., a little more to allow the newbie to stay with the class. She might be willing to do this before class. Don't let your insecurities stop you from taking advantage of a great way to improve your health.

In a short while, you will notice the weight coming off and so will others. It is a tremendous boost to your confidence when gym-mates start commenting on it. It will take you through the tough days and boost your confidence. I can't stress this enough. Just do it.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #3  
1 lb at a time!

S/C/G: 294/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree with linJber! After you go once or twice, you wo'nt even be thinking about the other people. Everyone is there for the same goal - to get a workout! Noone is going to judge you because everyone there came for fitness! linJber had some good tips too.

I'm almost always the largest person in these classes, but that's ok. I know that with time, I will get better with technique and everything else. I have a back issue, so have to modify sometimes. Just get there a little early and introduce yourself to the person that is teaching the class and let them know this is totally new to you. They often give alternatives to make it a little easier for us beginners (and no, they won't point you out when they do it!).

Good luck and enjoy!
Slimmer Down Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

do you have to sign up for a whole series of classes? or is this just a "drop in when you can" thing? if so, I'd definitely check it out and see if you like it. I absolutely wouldn't worry about looking ridiculous, the people in the class will be too worried about themselves not looking ridiculous! lol!

I haven't done kick boxing (I have to work out at home as the single mom of a young kid) but I do have a couple of boxing games on the Wii and they are awesome. Super fun and a major, leave me panting and sweating workout. So go, enjoy, and get fit and skinny!!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #5  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Go for it; I've been kickboxing for a year. What I have found is the class is supportive of the people who are new, and frankly, once it starts the only thing you can focus on is your own workout. It's pretty intense, and you don't have time to care about what anyone else is doing. No one else cares what you look like, and it will give you a boost to see that you CAN do this. One word of caution: it does demand alot of you so don't get discouraged in the first few classes. Go at your own pace, lots of folks in my classes walk instead of run, for example, or do alternative exercises when there's jumping involved. You will find that your stamina goes up rather quickly if you keep going, and you will feel WONDERFUL when you get the after-glow!!!!

Good luck!!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #6  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

DO IT!!! I JUST started (tonight will literally be my 4th class). The whole premise is do what you can. Sure, the instructor encourages you to push yourself and you should, but trust me, no one cares what you can do...they are focused on what they are doing. Definitely pace yourself...our instructor reminds us to push, BUT also reminds us that we are there for a full hour, so we need to pace ourselves too.

I am totally hooked after just the few classes I have taken. It works parts of me that I am not working out anywhere else.

I avoided it for a loooong time (it was suggested to me quite some time ago), but now I wish I had listened sooner...

Besides, even if you try it and don't like it...at least then you'll know.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #7  

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice! It is a drop-in class, from what I understand. That also makes me nervous because it won't be the "beginning" class and I'm worried that I'll "drop in" in the more advanced stuff.

Logically, I know that it isn't high school and that no one (or very few people) are going to care about me being there. But I sometimes have paralyzing social anxiety. When I started the "Fitness Fantasy" contest 5 years ago, the first day at the gym with all the trainers, the head honcho, all the other gym members plus the news crew and the reporter, I stood in the change room shaking like a leaf, ready to puke, until finally the reporter came in and asked if I was ok. Then I was able to slowly inch my way out.

Whenever I went for my training sessions: same thing. I'd book it right to the change room (which was all the way through the gym) and usually end up taking at least 15 minutes to prep myself to go out, and only then slowly slink back around the corner and look for my trainer. If s/he was talking with someone, I just stood there, by the wall, waiting. Too afraid to go forward.

After a while, that fear and anxiety does go away, to the point that I was able by the end of 3 months to not only talk confidently to the camera, but also walk through the gym and say hi to everyone.

It's just the initial phase that my body locks up on.

But, I guess, I have to overcome it and not succumb to it. When I moved here, I wasn't even able to ask the bus driver for directions and got lost in downtown Vancouver I don't know how many times. Eventually, I got over that anxiety, too.

I think I'll go early on Thursday and ask to speak with the instructor and say that I'm completely new at this, but am interested because I know it's a great way to get a cardio work out and those work the best for me to lose weight. And if she's not all that polite, then you know what? I'll probably just go to the classes anyway! lol

Thanks for the advice I looked at some other rec centers, but none have anything really interesting to me. I think the kickboxing is where I'll go.

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 09-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #8  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad you have decided to try it. I've not done kickboxing, but I did krav maga (martial arts) for a little while and I was so scared at first, but I learned once I was there that had no reason to be. Sure, I couldn't do things as well as people who had been there longer, but nobody expected me to be able to and I wasn't the only newbie anyhow. Before that when I first started going to zumba (my first class in a gym ever) I thought I was going to make a fool of myself and never be able to set foot in the gym again. I went to the back of the room and tried to be as invisible as possible. It was really hard at first and I probably did look silly, but so did other people and nobody cared. I got over the fear and kept going and got better and now I'm in the front row. Same thing happened with the weight lifting class that I attend right before zumba. I was so silly, I would go to the back of the room to do my weights and then move to the front for zumba right afterward. Now I'm in the same spot for both and I'm helping the newbies. You will be ok, and I bet you're going to love it.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have to tell you that they no longer do kickboxing in my area and it makes me sad! Kickboxing is my favorite way to get into shape. You feel so tough and learn a take no prisoners attitude that is great for losing weight. I did this before I have my first child and did really well. I miss it so much! Have fun!
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

keep us posted. I think the class sounds fun! I'd bet people in it will be supportive. and those types of classes, it doesn't seem so crucial to me if you "keep up" or take a little time getting the hang of it. And if it turns out to be not your cup of tea, no harm done
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/140

Height: 5ft 6"

I'm a qualified kickboxing instructor and I really urge you to go to the class and get stuck in. It's the best cardio I've ever done in my life (I know I am biased, but it really is!). I've been training for 12 years (with a 3 yr hiatus while I ate my way up to 194lbs ). I could not have lost the 50lbs I have without kickboxing, that's how good it is. When I started out all those years back I was the token female, now there are many more women attending the classes.

Try not to be self conscious, there will be many people there who are trying to lose weight and if you have a good instructor, others won't have time to look at you and pass judgement.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, arrive a few minutes early and have a chat with the instructor before the class begins. I can guarantee they will be approachable and want to make you feel comfortable in their class - it's the base of any good exercise class to have happy students!

I know you'll feel as if you're sticking out for a the first few weeks, but stick with it and you will reap the benefits Let us know how you get on!
MissJael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Don't worry about "dropping in." Even in a series class, they don't just jump into a routine. They build each piece from the beginning of class. Seriously, you won't be the only one going, "wait... what?" Even advanced people don't get the routine each week AND it gets changed up so no one gets bored.

Here's my advice on embarrassment. Fake it. You are an awesome Xena warrior princess. You rock. You could kill with your bare hands but you've decided to spare this class's life because you are that benevolent. Soon, you'll believe it!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #13  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Goddess Jessica is right...our instructor actually says all the time "fake it till you make it" she talks about how we learn to train our brain first and the body follows...honestly, after just four classes, I am already feeling more confident and strong. I can't wait to hear about your experience!!!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Rainbowgirl - it's official - you HAVE to go to class and let us know how it went. It's easy for someone like me (sometimes afraid but never really worried about what someone else thinks about me) to give advice, but you will grow in other ways if you conquer this hesitation about being the "newbie." After you've been the newbie a few times and realize nothing bad happens, it will be second nature to venture past the edges of your comfort zone in other areas, too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Goddess Jessica - I just have to say this - your attitude is always fantastic. As is your screen name and the "status" under it! You can't help but succeed in this - and BTW, congrats on the little goddess.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 09-11-2011 at 09:10 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #15  

Thanks to everyone from the awesome advice. I'm going on Thursday and I'm going to be reciting so much of what everyone here has said to me.

I'll let everyone know how it went and all that!