Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #1  

Default Help bras for plus size girls

I really need a bra to hold up these babies...

I need full coverage and plenty of hold!

where do you get your favorite bra online? Or at the mall?

I would love to know what works for you!

Bras can really be expensive!

thanks
abaaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

It would depend on your band size. If your band size is 38" or above, I definitely recommend going to Lane Bryant because they have some really great supportive bras in a wide range of cup sizes.

If you're below that you'll need to go to a specialty bra shop.

In case you don't know, your band size is your underbust measurement. DO NOT add inches to it (this is archaic advice when there wasn't enough stretch in bras). In principle your cup size is than the difference between your bust and underbust size (but make sure to wear a well-fitting bra because that definitely makes a difference in the measurements).

I will caution, though, that finding your size through measurements might not mean the best fitting bra. The best thing is if you can go and try on bras because some styles run big/small. Sometimes you might need to go up or day a cup size/band size depending on the brand. I recently bought a number of bras online all in the same size. I've since dropped a band size and most of them don't fit anymore but one does because the band size runs small on it. That's why it's always best to try them on in person!

Good luck!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Personally I like Just My Size (jms.com) They have a wide variety of styles and often have good sales. They have a website and catalogs.

Good luck!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

You really have to try on in person. I have found that the "adding inches" must depend on brand. I measured one of my bras and unstretched, it was about 5 inches smaller than the size number, on the loosest setting! My underbust is 37, the bra is a 40, and it measured about 35. The 38 was horribly uncomfortable and there was back fat bulging out everywhere.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Its not cheap, but I've had really good luck at Nordstroms. Have them fit you and don't be afraid to ask for them to pull sizes for you in the back.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I like Lane Bryant's balconette bra - it's got a modesty lining, seamless cups, and wide padded straps. I wear a 42 DDD, and it holds the girls up well.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #7  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
I like Lane Bryant's balconette bra - it's got a modesty lining, seamless cups, and wide padded straps. I wear a 42 DDD, and it holds the girls up well.
Yes, this was my absolutely favorite bra of all time. I'm so sad that they don't make them in smaller sizes because I haven't found a good fitting bras since then.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Such a perfect thread for me! I've found 38DD~ usually fits "ok" but I think I should get a professional fitting just to see. I have big problems with the weight of them on my shoulders so I want to make sure I'm a) looking at the right sizes still and b) looking at a style that suits what I need. I also need underarm side and back support. I have issues with random swelling and tenderness due to hormonal problems so it makes for a difficult find sometimes. They can swell up to another full size I'll have a looksie myself at some of the suggestions and then see if I can turn up any of my own to offer ^^
Aoidela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #9  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoidela View Post
Such a perfect thread for me! I've found 38DD~ usually fits "ok" but I think I should get a professional fitting just to see. I have big problems with the weight of them on my shoulders so I want to make sure I'm a) looking at the right sizes still and b) looking at a style that suits what I need. I also need underarm side and back support. I have issues with random swelling and tenderness due to hormonal problems so it makes for a difficult find sometimes. They can swell up to another full size I'll have a looksie myself at some of the suggestions and then see if I can turn up any of my own to offer ^^
What are your underbust/bust measurements? The best starting point is to take your underbust as your band size and than the difference in inches between your bust and underbust are your cup size. With your swelling do your breast get larger or your band size? Maybe you could get two different sizes and switch out if it hurts?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

There's an excellent bra fitting guide at http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/. I don't buy from Bravissimo, though, their prices are relatively high. I tend to buy from eBay shops, at least I did when my weight was stable and I knew my size. I was always buying the same brand, so 90% of the time the bra would arrive and fit perfectly.

If you're in the UK, Panache is a marvellous brand for those of us who are bigger-bosomed. It goes up to a JJ cup or thereabouts, beautifully designed bras, comfortable as well as attractive, great shape, skin colours that don't actually look like the skin of someone who's been dead in the water for a week. The Tango range in particular is great.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I ususually buy the victoria's secret full coverage cotton bras, they're usually 2/$50 and they come in my size (38DD). They run a bit bigger, as well.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I've been wearing a Playtex bra with gel straps that I get from Just My Size. it's very comfortable and the gel straps definitely make a big difference with shoulder pain.

this is the link http://www.justmysize.com/plus-size/...-underwire-bra but they are always running sales.

I knew my correct size so I didn't have to use their measurement system so I can't say how accurate that is though.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #13  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Yes, this was my absolutely favorite bra of all time. I'm so sad that they don't make them in smaller sizes because I haven't found a good fitting bras since then.
Not sure how small you are now, but their cup sizes are not the same as band sizes go down. A DD cup with a 40 band is bigger than the DD cup on a 36, if you know what I mean. For example, I was a 40DD and now I am a 36DDD and I KNOW I did not grow in the boob area. I first ordered the 36DD and the cups were too small, so I compared the actual cups to my 40DD and they were way smaller. Anyways, my point is, you still might be able to find something, unless your band size is smaller than a 36.

Also, to OP, I agree with others, the adding inches to band size depends on the brand. I would follow the online fit guides for each brand to determine the right size. My fav is also the LB Balconette, btw.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #14  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
Not sure how small you are now, but their cup sizes are not the same as band sizes go down. A DD cup with a 40 band is bigger than the DD cup on a 36, if you know what I mean. For example, I was a 40DD and now I am a 36DDD and I KNOW I did not grow in the boob area. I first ordered the 36DD and the cups were too small, so I compared the actual cups to my 40DD and they were way smaller. Anyways, my point is, you still might be able to find something, unless your band size is smaller than a 36.
My current band size is 32 so that's the issue.

I actually get pretty annoyed that they only go down to a band size of 36 (and that's only online!) because at my heaviest my band size was 38 and dropped down to 36 almost immediately. Well before I reached an "overweight" BMI, I already had a band size of 34. Listen up Lane Bryant there are plus-sized girls out there with small ribcages!!!! We would like to buy your bras too!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #15  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

runningfromfat - That stinks I have to buy my mine online, I'll be very sad the day when I can't wear those bras, too! Someone should invent a band shrinker. They make those extender hooks, but not the opposite.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote