Old 06-26-2003, 12:32 PM   #1  
it's always something

This would be a Phase 2 recipe, due to the pinto beans in the refried beans.

Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 cup vegetable stock/broth
1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can black beans
1 (14-ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne hot pepper sauce, several drops
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans (fat free)

Toppings:
reduced fat cheddar cheese
Chopped scallions, whites and greens
Diced fresh seeded plum tomato

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions, and tomatoes.

Update!
I made this over the weekend, and it was wonderful! I didn't have everything, so I improvised, and probably came up with something I personally prefer anyway. I hate cumin, and also 'chili powder', which is probably the stuff at the supermarket labeled as chili powder, but it's actually a blend. So, I use pure ground chilis which adds heat and mild flavor, but doesnt overpower everything. I used 1 teaspoon of that, plus 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder. It was hot, but still edible I also left out the jalapeno, hot sauce, and salt. I used 1/2 cup of regular fat free refried beans, because I couldnt find the spicy ones. I used a big Vidalia onion, for added sweetness.

It serves 4, but I'd say each serving was at least a cup and a half. Very satsifying!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote