PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default September 2011 - PCOS Support Thread

Hello everyone!

Here is our old thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...rt-thread.html

Let's get September started...

Who's here this month?
How are you?
What are you working on?
How was last month?
How's your PCOS management going?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #2  

Who's here this month?

Well, I'm here, of course. It's my one and only support site for PCOS and weight loss, so I am loving 3FC.

Even if I am frustrated with my weight loss and PCOS!!!!

How are you?

I think I'm good. I say that because I do have a lot of work and no motivation (it's always like this at the end of the summer) and I want to do other things, but I have to focus on work and school. I'd rather be doing anything else at this point.

What are you working on?

I'm on a plateau or maybe I'm in denial, I'm not sure which. But I'm trying to get back to 165-164, which is where I was before I started doing all the travel I did this summer. I'm frustrated that I've gained this weight.... it's not water weight anymore!!!

And it just doesn't feel like it's easy to take those three or four pounds off... it feels insurmountable at this point.

I'm hoping that because it's September, it's a nice month, the summer heat will hopefully be less, maybe I'll lose some water weight, maybe I'll find the magic number of calories and exercise, maybe I'll be better motivated to control said calories....

How was last month?

Last month was great in terms of exercising and eating, I was eating pretty healthy. I had a couple of events and outings that were higher calorie days than normal, but I stuck with low carb, which was good. Still didn't see the scale drop, so I decided to put the scale away and only look at it once a week.

I came to the conclusion that I'm either plateauing or in denial about my calorie intake.

It's good. Still taking my supplements, although my period took a good 40 days this time (a sign my food isn't as good as I thought it was??). I've been eating a lot of vegetarian and I'm wondering if I need to eat more beef/chicken/fish instead.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Who's here this month?
-I am happy to be here with you all.

How are you?
-Today, I am OK. Liquid and cracker diet is killing me and this is only the first full day, lol. I am having a HIDA scan tomorrow and that's my last scheduled test on my gallbladder. I've been in a lot of pain for a long time, so if that's the problem, I just want to know.

What are you working on?
-Not triggering another apparent gallbladder attack. Everything else is on hold.

How was last month?
-Pain and worry filled my month... I won't miss August.

-My first month of Ortho-Tricyclen went pretty well. I didn't have any significant side effects. My period started last night and it is really heavy. I have never had a heavy period before, so it's a bit shocking. I have lost 5ish pounds the last week and a half, but that's because of my illness and loss of appetite.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #4  

OMG, I finally weighed in today...... I'm only doing it once a week because I was driving myself crazy...... and I am down to 167.2 lbs!!!!!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!!!!!! The scale has changed. I knew September was going to be a GREAT month!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #5  
I shall be released...

Yay, Rana! Congrats on the scale going down! How long have you been losing weight? It looks like you're doing great so far!

--
The HIDA scan showed my gallbladder function was so low that it wouldn't show up on the camera. =/ They didn't even do the injection part of the test. I meet with my surgeon on Wednesday and I assume we'll be scheduling surgery to have it removed. I'm a bit scared of surgery, but I am more scared of being in constant pain, so I'm just thankful it isn't something much worse.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #6  

I'm sorry you're going into surgery, JS83.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Who's here this month?
I'm here! I'm super busy with work, so I'm not around as much as I'd like to be. It's all good though.

How are you?
I'm fantastic! I feel great, I'm losing weight and my energy level is high!!!

What are you working on?
Training for a 5k. I NEVER thought I'd like running. 50 pounds ago, I never thought I'd run again. And now? I can't wait for my workouts!

How was last month?
AMAZING! I lost just over 10 pounds. I'm at the 50 pounds lost mark!

Fine. I take my Metformin and my periods are pretty regular. I'm looking forward to dropping more weight so I can start talking to my doctor about going off the Met. It would be nice if I could do without meds.
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here this month? Me! Astrophe.

How are you?

Awful -- my dad's health is falling apart, so things here are very tense.

What are you working on?

Dad's eldercare stuff with my mom and all this family drama and trying not to put my own needs too far on the back burner.

How was last month?

Bad.

Lost some weight, likely from the stress. But this isn't the way I want to lose, YKWIM? I am determined that even if I can't check in as often, I still want to try to check in here for myself.

Part of that NOT putting my own needs too back on the back burner thing.

hugs
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #9  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Who's here this month?
meeee CASSIE!
How are you?
Gooooooood! Was down on the scale to 252.8 I won't make my labor day goal of 250 but pretty darn close!
What are you working on?
Getting back to school!!!How was last month?
Started out on a low low note but ended pretty ok

Better, I can tell that my insulin levels are more stable, My acne is getting better (except for TOM) My period is regulating itself I had a period for July and August and suspect I will have one in sept which is GOOD because I have NEVER been regular (kinda sucks cause the weight stall for the week before and of tho).
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #10  

Hello ladies! Glad to have you here (and back!).

(I'm sorry astrophe you're going through this tough time.... )
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #11  
I shall be released...

My surgeon called today to say I do need surgery to have my gallbladder removed and I'm meeting with him tomorrow to work out the details.

While consulting with him the first time, I told him I was taking birth control for my PCOS symptoms. While on the phone today, he offered to biopsy my ovary/ovaries? at the same time as my gallbladder surgery and told me to think about whether or not I want him to do that. The issue is that he didn't say why or what that would show. Does anyone know what I would learn from having this done and whether or not it is something I should have done for my PCOS?

Thanks for any information!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/245/135

Height: 5'2"

Who's here this month?
I am! I just joined. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. I've been on/off Metformin about 5 times. On sprintec to make my periods normal.

About me -
I'm 29
Single with 2 corgis who I LOVE!
Own a house
Live near Denver
Grew up in Wisconsin
Work with computers at the software company
How are you?
I'm ok. Went the gyno last week and talked to her about the weight struggle I've been in for the last few years. She recommended seeing a dietitian so I have an appointment on Saturday. I'm hoping she'll be able to help me drop the weight. I don't suppose anyone is near Denver that sees a dietitian is there? I'm glad I found this site.

What are you working on?
Getting on track to lose some weight and hopefully raise my mood.

How was last month?
Eh - I injured my foot (bruised the bones). Was in a boot for 4 weeks and on crutches for 2.

Ok - the gyno put me back on Metformin - even though I didn't notice a change last time and it gives me diarrhea if I haven't eaten enough. She said to limit the carbs while on it - which I'm not sure I was doing last time. However - I have been tested for diabetes and it comes back normal. So I'm not sure why I'm on it. Does anyone else take Metformin that isn't diabetic? I am obese - so maybe she's trying to lower my risk of becoming diabetic?

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well JustSharing. I had my gallbladder out when I was 19. And sorry to hear about your dad Astrophe.
missi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/245/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSharing83 View Post
My surgeon called today to say I do need surgery to have my gallbladder removed and I'm meeting with him tomorrow to work out the details.

While consulting with him the first time, I told him I was taking birth control for my PCOS symptoms. While on the phone today, he offered to biopsy my ovary/ovaries? at the same time as my gallbladder surgery and told me to think about whether or not I want him to do that. The issue is that he didn't say why or what that would show. Does anyone know what I would learn from having this done and whether or not it is something I should have done for my PCOS?

Thanks for any information!
Maybe he's going to look for cysts. Although - not all of us have them.
missi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #14  
I shall be released...

Thanks. I guess I will ask him more tomorrow and decide then. I had an ultrasound on my ovaries in May that showed tiny cysts when dealing with my family doctor before seeing an ObGyn. This is the first time a biopsy has come up.

And, welcome, Missi, it's nice to meet you.

Last edited by JustSharing83; 09-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi View Post
However - I have been tested for diabetes and it comes back normal. So I'm not sure why I'm on it. Does anyone else take Metformin that isn't diabetic? I am obese - so maybe she's trying to lower my risk of becoming diabetic?
You don't have to be a diabetic to have insulin resistance. Metformin helps manage your IR. If you have IR and you don't treat it with diet and exercise, that is!

Yes, I'm sure her thought process is to reduce it, but if you can change your diet and exercise, that will help a million times more than just taking Metformin.

Justsharing.... he may want to biopsy to see if you have cysts, but you can also get an ultrasound for that and it's less invasive. I swear, surgeons are like a hammer.... everything looks like a nail. Getting confirmation that you have cysts doesn't really do anything for you if you've already been diagnosed with PCOS.

Just focus on your food from now on, since your diet will have to change now that you won't have your gallbladder.