Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Baby Steps: Just One Week of Greatness

When I first started on my weight loss journey it was overwhelming. So much so that part of me couldn't imagine even beginning and felt it wasn't even worth trying. As I felt even more desperate and was being faced with some drastic options I told myself to try and have just one good day. Just one. And I did. And I felt good and was proud and felt slightly energetic and encouraged. So I tried the next day. And the next. Obviously, I still have a ways to go and I now I'm looking toward a huge goal in January. And it seems so far off that I see I'm allowing myself to have a bad day here and there (more often) because I know I have until January to get the weight off. Well..that's not working for me.

So...back to baby steps. I plan on having a great day tomorrow, but my goal is really for the entire week. I'm thinking that's reasonable. Yes, these are things I need to do for a lifetime, but I need to play the game at this point and look toward just one, really great week.

So, here goes. I have fruit, protein, veggies and even a treat prepared. My walking clothes are laid out and a movie is waiting to be watched while I walk.

Anyone want to join me for just one week of greatness? Not perfection. Just perseverance.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Count me in - I just got back from 9 days of camping (in cabins) with a huge group of friends. I need to get right back on track. Tomorrow will tell at my weigh in if I managed to avoid any major gain while I was gone.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #3  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm definitely up for achieving my goals with lots of dedication and perseverance, including commitment to portion controlled healthy eating and burning calories through activity.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Me too! I have my follow-up meeting with my nutritionist next week so I really want to do well this week. TOM is expected this week too so it's probably going to be that much more challenging but I really want to see a difference when I go back to my nutritionist!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #5  

OK, so I'm really going to need the support just to even walk today. Woke up at 3am to the smoke detector and water leaking through the detector. Sooooo tired.

I'll check back in this afternoon to share about Day One of greatness (which at this point makes me laugh to even think about).
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #6  

Running...I've always wanted to see a nutritionist. How does it work? Meaning, are there different options or what?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #7  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvaliscious View Post
Running...I've always wanted to see a nutritionist. How does it work? Meaning, are there different options or what?
There are probably a ton of different types of nutritionist out there, I'm not really sure about it. What happened with me is that my Ob/Gyn works in an office that focuses on women health issues so they have a nutritionist there and also an ultrasound tech and also some people who do pilates/rehab/spa type of things too. So I just made a trial appointment with the nutritionist about 1.5 weeks ago. It was nice to get some ideas but I don't necessarily agree with her 100% (she's trying to get me to eat more carbs and I tried, it just made me hungrier!). Beyond that, though, she had me write down a sample day of what I ususally eat and gave me some suggestions. Some of which were really good.

This next week we're going to be talking about portion size more and continue to fine tune my diet. I really enjoyed the individual help and one big thing that helped me a lot is that we live abroad (and haven
t lived here very long either!) so she was able to tell me what foods were good here and what ones to avoid. That helped a lot because it would've taken a lot longer to learn that on my own.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

yay, here's to Days of Greatness!! (DOG for short!) That's a smart way to go about things - planning for months or years in advance is way too daunting, but anyone can do a DAY! good for you

I've seen a nutritionist once, it was free with my work insurance, and i hated her LOL she was about 12, weighed about 46 pounds and said "you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight" OOOOHHHHHHHH thanks for the big news!! hahahah But like doctors, there's great ones and sucky ones, it all depends! Give it a try, even to get an idea in your mind of what's what.

go DOGS!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #9  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I've seen a nutritionist once, it was free with my work insurance, and i hated her LOL she was about 12, weighed about 46 pounds and said "you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight" OOOOHHHHHHHH thanks for the big news!! hahahah But like doctors, there's great ones and sucky ones, it all depends! Give it a try, even to get an idea in your mind of what's what.
Oh, that was actually one thing I loved about my nutritionist! She used to be obese and was a binge eater on sugar so she could really relate to my problems. She was able to give me ideas on how I could still have sweets every now and then but not go overboard. I haven't binged on sweets since then!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #10  

Day 1: It took me so long to complete my first great day that I'm finally writing in at 9:30 at night. I have been awake since 3a.m. due to a huge water leak in our ceiling, so it was not a great day starting out. Without sleep and enough food, I can be a bear!

Anyway, I said great, not perfect. BUT, I walked! I actually took my daughter to the park and walked there and then again tonight for a longer walk on the treadmill. I was determined to get enough time in to make it count! My eating was so-so because I need to eliminate sides. Or at least get some alternatives.

Tomorrow I'm planning for a normal schedule, so we'll see what happens!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #11  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

This is awesome! I really like your honesty about your journey. Yes, baby steps and goals are great. Good for you!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I am in for one week of greatness for sure!!!!!!!

Day 1: all food planned. Take a NAP! Take four collies for a walk tonight.

Go!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #13  

So glad I'm not alone in this!

DAY 2: Excellent day today! Stayed within calories (day's not over, but I have the food cooking now) AND walked/jogged for 40minutes.

Tomorrow I have somewhere to be during my normal walking time, so I may get up early and do it before the kids are up. Wish me luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Well, Tuesday and Wednesday were both pretty good days of staying on plan, and that makes them great! Got a little munchy with some pita chips on Wednesday night, but nothing too awful! Sometimes the munchy monkey is just there on your back and you have to feed it! Should have eaten carrots, but that didn't happen. I got up early on Wednesday and went to the gym at 6 am, then work until 5, then a friend cut and colored my hair. Home by 9. It was a long day and I'm tired this morning and slept in a bit. It will be an early night tonight and then it's almost the weekend. Yippee!

Here's to a really great day to all. You know what's funny? I didn't weigh myself on day 1 of the week of greatness and no one else has mentioned their weight, either. Sometimes it just isn't about the scale.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 09-08-2011 at 08:18 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #15  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

I love this idea. I AM going with the new DOG motto. I am hanging this on my bathroom mirror.
"Day of Greatness"

I CAN and WILL have a DOG!
Greatness is all about doing what is right for me, because, because, well just because it is RIGHT for me.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote