Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default A question about skin

I started out at 325 and my goal is 160. One of my big fears with losing all the weight is that I'll have hangy skin all over. Did/does anyone else worry about this?? I know that the goal is to lose fat and be healthy, but I would also like to look good when this is all over!
Another question, any idea how to fight it off before it begins to be a problem? I really don't want to have to have a surgery to remove loose flesh, and I figured that if I were going to fight it, no better time than the present!
Advice???
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You might want to check http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...ight-loss-219/ here.

There's a sticky at the top about loose skin questions. As well as many other discussions about it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'9"

A lot of it is just your genes, and you can't change that. Drink lots of water, and do toning. Skin takes longer to tighten, so I have heard people say their skin kept tightening a year or so after the weigh loss stoped. The younger you are helps, if you have not always been fat it helps. I have come to terms with the fact that I will have a least SOME loose skin. I hope it is not too bad, but it is still better than being this big, and hindering things I want to do.
SoDetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

I am also worried about this.. I am going to check out that above thread and see what it says.
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #5  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

From my own experience, I was always told that I would only have loose skin if I didnt exercise. I have found that to be far from true. I know my weight loss has been a lot more rapid than most, but I have found that I have quite a bit of loose skin, and I will probably have a LOT by the time I'm completely finished. However, there are difference between me and other people. I started out at 463 at my highest weight. I have also lost 137 lbs in less than 9 mos. I have also not exercised as much as I needed to, nor done toning exercises. Everyone is different, but honestly I think everyone who starts out over 300 lbs and wants to lose about 1/2 their body weight will probably have some loose skin. I understand your fears about it, as I have my own, but there ARE surgeries, girdles, etc that can help. Also, as you lose weight if you notice any infections or rashes in those areas, let your Dr know so they can document it. My Dr is documenting the skin issues I've had in the hopes that maybe my insurance will pay for skin removal surgery after I'm at my goal weight.
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Last time, I went from 288 to 160, which is pretty close to what you're planning to lose. I had loose skin, somewhat, but for the most part it wasn't a huge problem. I happen to have a picture on here- forgive the post, but I was hanging out with a bunch of super-skinny women and was dealing with a lot of body dysmorphia, which means that I was still feeling 300 even after getting to be half of that.

The extra skin most was a problem in making my arms/thighs/belly a little bit looser. It didn't really "hang" too much. A lot of people told me that weight lifting would have helped, but I didn't have a chance to try it before I started gaining again. Hope this helps.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...tions-pic.html

Last edited by kelly315; 09-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow, Kelly, I only hope to look that good when I'm done!
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I have skin issues, but I can also run a 5k and can walk up a 1 mile /700 foot incline in 15 minutes. It is SO worth it.

That said, my biggest issues are on my abdomen, inner thighs, and arms. I still have fat hanging out in my excess skin, so I have strange hanging jigglies in those spots. My butt is also sagging now and my boobs live at my equator, which is awesome sexy.

Unless I get down to 10% bodyfat, I imagine that won't change drastically. I wear a compression shirt and shorts during my workouts or else the skin bouncing causes discomfort. And I have loose skin everywhere - places you didn't know can get loose gets loose. It is not attractive or fun - but seriously WHO CARES. I am so happy to cross my legs, pull my knees up to my chest when I sit, clip my toenails like a normal person and fit in airplane seats (tray down!) that I would choose this skin again and again. The trade-off is laughable.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #9  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
I have skin issues, but I can also run a 5k and can walk up a 1 mile /700 foot incline in 15 minutes. It is SO worth it.

That said, my biggest issues are on my abdomen, inner thighs, and arms. I still have fat hanging out in my excess skin, so I have strange hanging jigglies in those spots. My butt is also sagging now and my boobs live at my equator, which is awesome sexy.

Unless I get down to 10% bodyfat, I imagine that won't change drastically. I wear a compression shirt and shorts during my workouts or else the skin bouncing causes discomfort. And I have loose skin everywhere - places you didn't know can get loose gets loose. It is not attractive or fun - but seriously WHO CARES. I am so happy to cross my legs, pull my knees up to my chest when I sit, clip my toenails like a normal person and fit in airplane seats (tray down!) that I would choose this skin again and again. The trade-off is laughable.
Well said. And well done on your weight loss!
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 329/319/140

Height: 5'6

I always heard if you lose the weight slowly and the younger you are, the less you have to worry about loose skin. But some is to be expected, I'd think.
lushless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone for sharing. I will also be happy with skin. So far not too bad. I already decided i deserve a boob job. LO L
PearlNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 315/310/140

Height: 5'5

Great posts. I too worry about the extra skin.
srpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

PACIFICA....Great post. I was struggling with this today as well. I fit into my husband's XL T-Shirt. That was a NSV for me because I have never been able to fit his T-shirts. In fact, my FIL bought us matching shirts- an XL for my DH and a 2XL for me (can't tell you how much I loved that).

Instead of being exited that the T-Shirt fit, all I could see was the loose skin beginning to form on my arms. PACIFICA- Thanks for reminding me that I'd rather be smaller with excess skin than my original size with skin stretched to the max.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote