Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

Default when will my mind catch up?

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. I have now lost 54 lbs...still have a ways to go. Used to wear a 24 and now am in a regular 18. Everyone comments on how great I look. I feel great. I know my clothes are smaller, but I just do not see it in the mirror! I still feel like the biggest girl in the room, even when I clearly am not! I am attaching pics so y'all can tell me what you think. I do not have many full length pics because I have avoided them my entire life. I just want to see it for myself! I was really hoping to gain lots of self esteem with weight loss. I so want to be less self- conscious! When will this happen...or will it ever?? Will I ever feel like a regular weight person?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easter 2011 013.jpg (30.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (23.4 KB, 45 views)
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

I don't really have any answers for you. I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I'm halfway through my weight loss and I still feel like an elephant, even though I can see in the mirror that I'm not the biggest person in the room any more, I still feel like a fat girl. I think that one day, without expecting it, peple have a moment where they realise just how much slimmer they are. My mum said it was being able to wear a UK size 10 pair of jeans (US size 6), my friend said it was seeing a photo on facebook that she didn't realise was taken, usually she'd freak out and insist it was taken down, but she was happy for it to stay up as she actually liked a full body shot of her. I've yet to experience my moment, but I don't doubt that it'll happen as long as I keep up the hard work
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

By the way, you look amazing in your pictures, I can really see the difference
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #4  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

In my experience, it takes time. And patience. And acceptance. I was a size 22 and am now a size 6 (I posted some pics in the mini-goal photo area if you want to see) and I remember being a size 10, thinking that all of the things I hated about my body before were still problem areas for me and that I had worked so hard and it felt like nothing had changed. I plateaued there for a long time, this exact struggle keept me from pushing forward.

I still have my days of feeling grumpy about my thighs or stomach or whatever, but I've also really worked on focusing on the positive. I have to make a conscious effort to re-train my thinking, because it isn't natural all the time- I have to tell myself that I am healthy, I am fit, I do kick a$$ in the gym. (I tend to focus more on fitness than skinny-ness...it's more meaningful to me, I guess). I have also accepted that I am a work in progress and always will be! I have crazy stretch marks and some loose skin and I have wholeheartedly accepted that. They are my battle scars; they remind me I can do anything.

I grew up overweight, so this "fat identity" was something that was part of who I was. I feel like overcoming this was something that took (and is still taking ) some serious work- just like shedding the physical weight- and for me, it didn't happen by itself. But with time I've been able to break away from that image.

You are looking awesome and you've come so far! Remind yourself of this- consciously think about it. Keep kicking a$$ and you'll get there!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Thanks y'all. It really helps to know that Im not the only one struggling. I guess acceptance of myself is what I really need to work on. I have come very far...and I cant get down about not feeling like I dont LOOK any different. When I started this is wasnt about looks anyway...it was to feel good. And I feel great! Thanks for the support!
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

I have struggled with the same thing sometimes. Even now, if you asked me my weight, I'd probably tell you off the top of my head that it's higher than it actually is. I have to "remember" that plus-sized clothing is too small now. I sometimes give myself mini breaks so I can adjust my mindset. I think it just comes with losing a lot of weight. I've even been at my goal weight in the past. It's strange, when you're gaining weight you thing you're smaller than you are most of the time and then when you're losing you see yourself heavier than you really are....I think it's part of the brain re-programming process that we just have to work through.

Congrats tho! You look great!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #7  
~Kim~

Our stats are almost exactly the same accept for the height difference. I completely get how you feel. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I feel like I can't see any difference at all anywhere but in the face.

The good news is we're getting into a lot more normal territory. =) When you can buy all your clothes from regular stores and you don't have to go into the plus size section anymore, it will be hard to deny the difference any longer.

In your pictures your face is noticably smaller and in the recent one those collar bones look awesome! Take pride in what you've accomplished.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #8  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I was wondering the same thing the other day. Many people have told me I look skinny and complimented me on my weight loss but I'm having a hard time believing them! When I look in the mirror, I don't see many changes int body. I think I still pretty much look the same.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

If you find the answer, please tell me. I'm still trying to get used to my new body.

I have trouble eyeballing clothes (I used to be good at picking out clothes by just looking at them). I still feel like I have a ways to go regarding my weight loss, but I know if I ran into someone who is currently my size and said they were fat when I was my highest weight, that I would probably think they were crazy.

I get compliments all the time, but I still have a hard time believing them. I think that in time my brain will catch up to my body, but it sure is hard when I've been overweight my entire life.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #10  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I've been heavy since I was a child. I yo-yoed some in high school and college, but I was never smaller than a 10 until just before I got pregnant. By that point (an 8), I did start to feel much better about myself. I think part of it was how fit I was becoming from working out steadily for about six months.

I've lost more baby weight now, and I'm getting down again to where I'm not disgusted by the mirror anymore. I saw a friend this weekend (she's also overweight), and she kept telling me how thin I looked, etc. I went shopping today, and let me tell you-- a three way mirror will cure any ego. I felt so huge, even bigger than when I started the diet this time. I know that's not true-- I know I don't look any different than I did two days ago when I felt great. I think a lot of fat/thin is in our minds. It's hard to know what reality is. Pictures help me, though. If I need a boost to know that I really am making progress, I always have my husband take some pictures of me. For some reason, I can see more of reality with pictures than by looking in the mirror.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote