Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Default Food addict asking for support PLEASE!

I'm re-introducing myself on this site for the third time in just as many years. I was so close to deleting this link from my favorites page, but something kept me from doing it. It's almost as if that would make my desperation and giving up too final; like I would be saying, "Oh well, I might as well give up on 3FC like I have everything else." Since I found this site, I've considered WLS, but can't afford it (my insurance won't cover it), I've tried NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, even Sensa (the one the Millionaire Matchmaker lady said she tried) and African Mango pills (which seemed to get rid of appetitie, but gave me terrible headaches). So, I'm back again, fat as ever and depressed as ever. I guess I'm just looking for some last word or kick in the butt that may give me the incentive to just get with the program and just lose the freakin' weight already. I'm obviously a food addict and have been in treatment for it for 2.5 years (I'm phasing that out due to money at the end of the year), but there's got to be an answer. I see all of these great stories and photos of success stories and I want to cry. Why can't that be me? What's wrong with me? I know I'm filling a void and I'm trying to figure out how to fill it in positive way. I guess that's why I'm here because I figure positive, uplifting words from others who may understand may help catapolt me into a new beginning. So, I'm sorry for the word spill here, but would really appreciate some words of wisdom or ideas you may have that would help me out. Thanks so much for taking the time to listen.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Welcome back!

I try to keep in mind that I already decided to make as many mistakes as I needed to in order to get where I was going. I know that slipping up will happen but I need to persevere and keep going. To decide to give up is to give up on my health and well it's all fun and games til you get ill. No Thanks! I'd rather try forever than choose illness. That's also the reason I don't take drastic weight loss measures, I choose health. If that works for you, please, feel free to use it as a reminder.

I do a moderated calorie diet that consists of a high protein/moderate carb and fat balance. I try to workout 3-5 times a week for around 45 minutes not counting everyday stretching. Calories reduced my weight, my high protein/moderate carbs and fat reduced my cravings.

Please stick around! It is possible to be at a healthy weight. We just have to figure out what exactly our bodies are needing!

Oh BTW there is an Overeaters Anonymous section to this board in case you haven't seen it before.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/over...-anonymous-61/

Last edited by 4star; 09-04-2011 at 09:32 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #3  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back! It sounds like you've crossed a number of methods off your list, but there are many more and there is one that will work for you. You can explore some of the specific diet threads here to find one you might like to try. I can't spend a lot of money on diet plans either, so I don't -- there is plenty to learn just looking around on this site or just googling.

If you think you might be addicted to carbs, perhaps try a low carb plan, and that might help you to manage food better.

Whichever plan you choose, even if you only lose 2lbs a month, think how happy you'll feel to be 24lbs lighter at this time next year. You'll be proud and pleased with yourself rather than 24lbs heavier and regretting not getting started.

Keep in mind that this is not a race, I used to not start because I was overwhelmed by how long it would take; but that just doesn't make any sense. Who cares if it takes long? Every pound down is one pound healthier, one pound closer to your goal, one pound less to carry around all day.

Make friends here, there is a lot of support available from people who have 'been there, done that' and from those at the same stage as you.

Last edited by Angie; 09-04-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Glad you came back too; giving up won't get you anywhere good. Just ask yourself where you will be if you don't keep trying; in worse health and shape. Make your motivation your health; that is worth it. Your health and your life and your comfort. Just go at it one day at a time; pick a more balanced and moderate plan that you can follow forever. When you make a mistake, just continue on the next day; it all works out in the end (it's a matter of averages).

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-04-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Even if I am taking baby steps in the direction of my goal, I will get there someday.

This is one of my favorite quotes. I say it all day long. For me I had to sit down and really evaluate why none of my past attempts worked and I had to be brutally honest with myself. What it boiled down to is I always quit. And i was always trying to punish myself into a healthy weight. I am doing this because I love me and I want to take care of me. I promised I would not give up. No matter what. No matter what! Even if i only lost one pound a month and was dieting for the next ten years. I started slow. I didn't change anything except that i would eat a vegetable with dinner everyday. Then I made sure i was eating a fruit or veggies everytime I ate something. Then I started weighing myself but only once a week. I also started writing everyday. Then I started watching carbs. Not eliminating them by any means just eating healthy complex carbs. Then I started exersicing. For me it was about one change at a time and I never made that change until I was ready. Keep coming back. You can so do this. If you want an email accountability buddy you can email me at tlk_a lot_101@yahoo I have been where you are and i promise you can come out on the other side. Hugs.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/185.5/149

Height: 5'6

welcome back! You can do this! Maybe just take one food choice at a time... its way easier for me to say I am not going to have those cookies this time.... instead of thinking ever again. I just try my best at each meal. My main plan (right now) is to stop drinking pop(I have a coke addiction), I am NOT eating anything deep fried and I am stoping with bake goods and junk food. This still leaves me with tons of food choices... one main learning curve for me has been to stop before I get the full feeling because within 20 minutes I will feel full. So far I am not expert its only been 3 weeks but its working and I am not feeling like all I eat is fruit and veggies.
Maybe you need to stop trying all the really strict diets and give something like this that would work for you a try?
I hope tomorrow is another step in the right direction for you! just take it one meal at a time! Good luck and you CAN do this!!!!
kelly585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

If you are addicted to food you might want to consider Overeaters Anonymous. They have groups all over the place. At the very least, they are a support group that could help you out when you have to transition out of the treatment you're currently following. You might also want to look into other support groups such as TOPS (tops.org) or Weight Watchers (weekly meetings).

I see you've tried a bunch of different methods that don't work for you.

What about those programs did you like? What were your expectations with them? What didn't work for you, and why did you quit them?

I'm asking that, because if you really want to lose weight you're going to have to stop blaming yourself for every "failure" and start looking into building a program that will work for you.

Maybe the word 'program' is too much, though. Build a healthy habit. Just one. Build it up. Embrace it. If you slip up, brush it off and get right back to the healthy habit. Reward yourself with positive thoughts for every attempt and every success.

And then pick another habit to add, and work on.

This isn't all or nothing. This is life. Mistakes are going to happen. We have to learn to take them with a grain of salt, and continue on in our efforts.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #8  

Thanks so much to everyone for your kind thoughts and good advice! Yes, I think I'm a carb addict for sure. I have tried OA online and in person before and I've decided to start again. I've got a new resolve today and have decided to make small changes and incorporate new ones little by little. Thanks for the support and encouragement. You guys are all great!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #9  

Abbysue - I tried to email you, but it keeps saying invalid address?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

hmmmm, [email protected] ? Should be working fine. I do OA too so we will have lots to chat about!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I was wondering if you lost weight doing any of those plans. And has the food addiction therapy helped? Do you feel you've made progress in how you approach eating and exercise?

I know for me sticking to it through the ups and downs can be a real challenge. That's why I come here, watch weight loss shows, ha, and whatever keeps me a little more focused. You might be right on the edge of being where you need to be to see real progress, hang in there!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/190/135

Height: 5'6.5'

Welcome back. I don't have a ton of advice. But I want to say **NEVER** give up. You are worth it.

Here's what I learned when I quit smoking many many years ago. If I chose not to smoke all day and that night I gave in and smoked it didn't undo a whole day of no smoking. My body was healthier for the choice of not smoking all day (even though I did smoke at night)

Every time you make a healthy choice, you made a healthy choice. Making an unhealthy choice does NOT undo an earlier healthy choice. If you wake up and have good breakfast, go for a walk, eat a great lunch and blow it at dinner or snack, it DOESN'T take away your good breakfast, lunch and walk. And maybe the next day you won't blow it and you will have a whole day under your belt. And if the next day you blow it at breakfast, it doesn't undo the previous day. And maybe you will make a few more healthy choices during the day. And maybe one day all of your healthy choices will run together. And you'll blow it once a week or once a year... ;-)

Every choice you make is separate from the last. CELEBRATE your wins, and forgive your loses. But never give up.
Sued1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #13  

Thanks for your posts. I didn't lose any weight on those plans - maybe 5-7 lbs, then I gave up because the food wasn't great or I just reverted to old ways. It's all a mindset, I guess. The food addiction therapy helps me be more mindful of what I'm eating (even if it's unthealthy, it's a conscious decision) and it's kept me from gaining since Jan which for me is a huge deal! I was on a fast train to 300 lbs - was up to 270 at one point, but now I'm teetering at 255. So, I guess I should count my blessings. But, I really can't wait for some before and after pics. I have the before, now I need the after. :-)

Abbysue - I'll try the email again.

Thanks again EVERYONE!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/213/174

Height: 5'7

You sound very much like me. I'm a huge carboholic and I have tried so many different diet plans to no avail. They'd work initially for the first couple of weeks and then no matter how I good I was it would all just stop and in the end I'd give up because I felt like I was starving myself. Then one day my Mum gave me a newspaper cutting about the Metabolism Miracle Diet by Dianne Kress. It's a bit hard to describe as you really need to read the book but it is how there are 2 different types of metabolism - A & B. The people with metabolism B process carbs differently and as a result never feel satisfied for very long after eating, crave carbs all the time plus lots of other things. Weight loss for them is extremely difficult. I did this diet last year and lost 30lbs in about 3 months. I then hurt my back and slipped back to my old ways. The weight stayed off for a while but has now crept back on. So I started again last week. The first 3 days are rough but since day 4 I have had so much energy, I'm sleeping better, I'm a nicer person to be around as I'm much calmer etc and the best bit of all I'm losing weight!!! If you want to ask me more then feel free to pm me but from reading your post so many alarm bells rang for me because you just sounded so much like me.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon. It does that look inside feature on there so you can have a read of a bit of it and see if it's for you http://www.amazon.com/Metabolism-Mir...5314248&sr=1-1

Whatever you choose to do I wish you every luck! Set small achievable goals and you can do this

Last edited by Pickle27; 09-06-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Adding in link to book
Pickle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #15  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Two things that helped me: reading Dr. Judith Beck's books http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu...5305898&sr=8-1

and reading The End of Overeating by David Kessler http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating...5305963&sr=1-1

I was an emotional eater, overeater, binge eater, and food addict. I now calorie count, exercise, journal my food intake, and make healthy food choices. You can do it! Reading Then End to Overeating really opened my eyes to see that food is just as much an addiction as drugs, and that the food industry plays a part in it- it's not just about me not having willpower. The Beck books helped me to retrain my brain. I was skeptical at first, but the step-by-step program worked; maybe it'll be what you need to help you be successful.

Wishing you strength and determination on your weight loss journey!
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote