Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #1  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Default Prozac vs. Wellbutrin and weight loss questions

Hi all,

Which in your experience has been more conducive to weight loss--Prozac or Wellbutrin? Can you tell me specifics--cravings, amounts lost/gained, stuck at same weight, etc.?

Thanks!

Last edited by rainydays; 08-31-2011 at 12:59 PM.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never been on prozac, but I was on wellbutrin a few years ago and didn't have a problem with it. It's actually used to treat overeating (binge) eating disorders and bring them down to normal food intake. The idea is by increasing seratonin levels, binge eaters won't need to turn to food as often to create seratonin.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-31-2011 at 03:27 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #3  

I have been on both. Prozac made me gain weight. It kind of made me feel like I was numb to everything. I didn't feel any emotions, certain things would happen and usually I would be crying but on prozac I felt a little sad.
Wellbutrin for me is a God sent. When I fist started it I had a couple of side effects. For one I was able to loose about 10lbs within a very short period of time. I ate but would get full very quickly and had no desire to binge. Even now after three years the only time I tend to binge is the day before PMS, before it was like a week before!
I also had a ton of energy. Due to my depression I would get sluggish and had to sleep a lot, but with Wellbutrin I sleep about 7 hours and I feel great. That to me is amazing cause I hate sleeping!
The first few days or week I felt very nervous though and stressed but that subsided.
This was my personal experience I am not sure how it worked for others. Hope it helps!
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #4  
Every pound is a victory

Thank you both. I was just on Prozac but I wasn't really getting what I needed from it. My doctor just prescribed Wellbutrin and I am going to pick up the prescription tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  

I lost weight on Prozac the first time I took it a long time ago, it was neutral when I took it before switching to Wellbutrin. And I know it's atypical, but I'm someone who actually gained weight on Wellbutrin - about 20 pounds.
gingerbrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #6  
Every pound is a victory

Yikes! This is my third day of Wellbutrin, so it's not fully in my system yet. It's my TOM and I actually lost 1.5 lbs, which isn't normal for me, but I don't think I can attribute that to the meds after only 3 days!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

dont wanna speak for everyone, but wellbutrin is kinda known for its weightloss side effect (although,, this DOES NOT LAST FOREVER)... its basically an "upper" hense the extra energy, stress, anxiety, etc....... again, this stuff usually levels off though....
and as EVERYONE HERE KNOWS, Your Mileage may vary
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/180/165

Height: 5'10

Rainydays - how did you end up liking the wellbutrin? I have a dr. appointment on Tuesday and can't decide if I should get back on Prozac (taken briefly last year) or try wellbutrin.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
amanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I love Wellbutrin. It helps me to focus on whatever task I have at hand so I'm more productive at work and able to accomplish more overall. I didn't have any weight loss with it though. I started taking it in July 2010 but I didn't start losing weight until I joined WW in December 2011.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/218/170

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Good luck with the Wellbutrin. I was prescribed the generic but am to afraid to take it. Im worried about feeling nervous for the first couple of weeks because I have anxiety also. I hope this works for you. I have heard great things about this medication.
Fluffy chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote