General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Default CND Shellac manicure?

I always had natural nails but I love the look of the french manicure. I don't like acrylics/gel because of the nail damage. There is this new product that came out last year called "Shellac" that is natural.

Has anyone tried this? What did you think and how long did it last?
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

My boss had this done and we were talking about it recently. She doesn't prefer the acrylic either.

They seemed to last longer and look presentable longer than the acrylic. To my knowledge they haven't caused any sort of damage but TBH she hasn't had them for years. Give it a try and see how you like it. One manicure with the shellac won't ruin your nails. Think of it as a trial run.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

the shellac product is actually a gel nail and has to go under the uv light to work.

as far as I know though the gel nails don't do the damage to the nail like the acrylic ones do
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I heart this stuff. I have actually never gotten a profesisonal shellac manicure, but I bought the stuff to do it at home. Mine tend to last about a week to ten days, until I pick at little chips, etc. and have to remove them. I'm sure a professional manicure would last longer. I'm also fairly rough on my hands (I broke my class ring, have had my engagement ring repaired for prong damage every two years, and a "normal" professional french manicure lasts less than a day before I've ruined atleast 4 fingers)

I haven't noticed any nail damage, though the surface of my nails seems to be rougher. I'm also terrible about peeling them off instead of soaking off the gel with acetone. Either way, my nails have always been a bit peely, and this doesn't seem to help or hurt that.

Overall, I love this stuff. I alternate between french tips and just a slightly pink sheer called Negligee. It makes my nails seem perfect and super smooth.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

So I took the plunge and tried it! I attached a photo, hopefully it shows on my reply. It is Shellac with the color romantique as the main color. The nail tech did a fabulous job and I am quite pleased with the results! It feels natural and very comfortable. Time will tell how long it lasts but the lady said for some people it can last 3-4 weeks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (16.2 KB, 22 views)
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

That looks awesome!!!

I'm going out of town in a few weeks and am going to get a gel mani -- I think I'll be copying you
shanhat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've had it done twice & each time lasted almost 3 weeks before a few started to peel off. Really like it & keeps my weak nails from breaking.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This sounded really interesting to me, but the first thing I thought was "Do they actually use true shellac," (and an internet search confirmed that they actually do).

Shellac is made from bug secretions (it's an organic resin that is secreted by the shell of the female Laccifer lacca bug). It's harvested by scraping the resin off of trees, so apparently no bugs are harmed in the harvesting of it (which some vegans may find reassuring).

I'm a nail biter, so it would kind of creep me out. Even though I know that shellac has been used as a food ingredient, so I've probably eaten it without even realizing it. There's also a red food coloring made from insects, that I know I've eaten (but I didn't know before hand - and in the abstract it doesn't bother me, but knowing in the specific is a different thing).

Philosophically, I believe that insects are a natural part of the human diet (a "neglected" food group in ours and many culutres), that Americans especially underutilize. However, thinking that, and getting over the taboo against eating insects is a differnt matter.

It doesn't bother me that I've probably accidentally or incidently eaten insects, but I've never eaten something knowing there was insect parts in it.

For some reason, the thought of biting my nails and therefore bug secretions is even creepier to me than the thought of actually eating a bug, even though I know that honey is also an insect secretion, but I'm allergic to most honeys (which probably means that I'm allergic to a specific, but common pollen). However I found out I was allergic to honey as a relatively small child, so I've avoided honey long before realizing just how bees make it.

It's funny because I've eaten a lot of strange foods, and am not squeamish about most things, but shellac nails is apparently an exception.

It should bother me more to bite into the chemical concoctions that are nail products and polishes (many of which probably contain the shellac anyway), but it doesn't.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i have had this done, it lasted 3 weeks then i was ready to take it off ( i like to change my color alot) so i'm not sure if it would have made it to 4 weeks. i am very hard on my nails and i was impressed it didn't chip. i personally wouldn't do it again because i don't like sitting under the uv lamp at all!! also just and fyi... when it's time to take it off you have to soak your nails in remover for at least 15 minutes to get it off.

your nails look nice
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I used Shellac for about 4 months this summer, during my 3 vacations. It really is an amazing product if you get a skilled manicurist - I got a couple bad ones and the polish didn't last as long - but I found someone I love, she's so great, and I've had them last 3+ weeks - only replacing it because my nails grew out too much.

When I stopped using it -my nails were still in decent shape.

I liked Shellac a lot and will definitely do it when I go on vacations, but not on a daily basis. I really don't like having to soak in acetone - so many chemicals are off-putting to me, and it got to be expensive and kind of a hassle. But yeah, it's great stuff and it really does last forever if it's done properly.

Last edited by Lunula; 09-01-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #11  
I think I can...

I do my own with a product called Gelish from Sally beauty supply. Polish usually lasts less than a day on my nails before it chips or peels off completely. The 1st time I did it it lasted about a week (i don't think I cured it under the uv light long enough) I did it over 4 days ago and it still looks great! (this is unheard of for my nails).
I think for my b'day next month I'm going to treat myself to a professional gel mani.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
This sounded really interesting to me, but the first thing I thought was "Do they actually use true shellac," (and an internet search confirmed that they actually do).

Shellac is made from bug secretions (it's an organic resin that is secreted by the shell of the female Laccifer lacca bug). It's harvested by scraping the resin off of trees, so apparently no bugs are harmed in the harvesting of it (which some vegans may find reassuring).

I'm a nail biter, so it would kind of creep me out. Even though I know that shellac has been used as a food ingredient, so I've probably eaten it without even realizing it. There's also a red food coloring made from insects, that I know I've eaten (but I didn't know before hand - and in the abstract it doesn't bother me, but knowing in the specific is a different thing).

Philosophically, I believe that insects are a natural part of the human diet (a "neglected" food group in ours and many culutres), that Americans especially underutilize. However, thinking that, and getting over the taboo against eating insects is a differnt matter.

It doesn't bother me that I've probably accidentally or incidently eaten insects, but I've never eaten something knowing there was insect parts in it.

For some reason, the thought of biting my nails and therefore bug secretions is even creepier to me than the thought of actually eating a bug, even though I know that honey is also an insect secretion, but I'm allergic to most honeys (which probably means that I'm allergic to a specific, but common pollen). However I found out I was allergic to honey as a relatively small child, so I've avoided honey long before realizing just how bees make it.

It's funny because I've eaten a lot of strange foods, and am not squeamish about most things, but shellac nails is apparently an exception.

It should bother me more to bite into the chemical concoctions that are nail products and polishes (many of which probably contain the shellac anyway), but it doesn't.
sorry, where did you find that it actually contains shellac?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #13  

I had mine done earlier in July because I have an OCD/impulse control disorder that causes me to pull at my eyebrows (specifically the left one) until they're almost gone. I figured with the extra thickness on the nail, I wouldn't be able to do that as effectively and I was right. However, I didn't realize until then how fast my nails grow! Even though I had them cut and the gel applied to very short nails, within a week my nails were too long. I type for a living, so for me short-nails is a MUST.

After week 2, I had them taken off. Unfortunately, from that point until now my nails have been ruined. They were SO weak I couldn't even open a can of Coke (I know, I'm not supposed to be having it!). My nails would break above the quick (ouchie) almost daily. You can still see the line from where the gel had been, even though it isn't there now - it's almost like it imprinted right into my nail. It's growing out and my nails are now more strong (I had REALLY strong nails before this) so I'm expecting that strength to come back.

They looked great while they were freshly done and for about a week. I really liked them. But my nails grew too quickly to justify getting them replaced every 2 weeks at a tune of $40.

Hopefully when yours come off, your nails won't be as damaged as mine were.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote