Old 09-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Want some cheese with that Whine?

Yep. I took the family for a walk and one would think I had taken a pair of pliers, sat on their chests with a glint in my eye and yanked out their teeth. Seriously.

My daughter even rode her bike (where she had the option to coast) and she was freaking out. That shows me we need to do this way, way more often. My 11 yr old boy, God bless him, didn't want to walk, but did it for me. LOVE him! We even jogged from lamp post to lamp post and he offered to go around again. My 6 yr old...Well, I have no idea what to do with him except make him go again. We forgot the scooter so it was a long walk for his little legs.

So there. I tried and will do so again. Also, I actually walked on the treadmill at 6:30 A.M!!That's huge for me. I can do this.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

It's not always easy... but it is worth it!

Good for you for taking the family with you.

They'll get used to it
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

that was really funny, I could picture the scene of all of you in my head, ha. maybe you could get a dog, that's a good motivation to get everybody out and walking.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

ha, funny story!

I tried doing a 2 mile Family Walk (Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds) with my son yesterday. He's 7 and very active. He did about 10 minutes worth with me before wandering off to other activities. Which I guess is why it's good that I did this at home rather than trying to go for a real walk but having him want to run off and do something else!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

My family is pretty good about exercise related thing. We walk often and even bought ping pong equipment today.

That being said.... FOODWISE, AHHHHH!!!

Anytime I try a creative new recipe that I like they hate it and complain like crazy. DD just will refused to eat anything if the veggies count is too high (super annoying because at school she'll eat whatever they put in front of her and I KNOW they make healthy meals). DH is the same way and we only have a few safe healthy meals that he'll actually eat.

Good luck and keep trying! Eventually they the complaining will cease (at least that's what I keep telling myself! ).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awesome job, not just for yourself but for your kids - they'll thank you for it when they grow up fit adults!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #7  

My son broke his foot this summer so we sat around WAY too much. Now that we're back in school I see my kids compared to others and all the others look like they're starving. Mine are super healthy looking. I smile, but I know they could slim down and move more. Love them. That's why I'm doing this. DH didn't want to walk today either and I reminded him that we have to do this for them...regardless of how we feel. He jumped up and we were off!

Running...my DH will eat anything, but the kids, no way. I'm so not a cook. I've got to find some great, super easy recipes!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yesterday I was walking an easy trail and there was a family walk that the youngest (age 8?) was not happy about it. Mom was calmly explaining that he'd have more breath for the walk if he stopped crying. But that crying about it wasn't going to stop the walk.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

My kids are 1 and 2. I'm pretty sure my 2 year old can walk further than I can! We've gone on several mile walks together and he just loves it. Granted, it's slow (he's got little legs), but I figure if we get in the habit of walking places now, while they're young, it won't be a fight later on. That's the theory, anyhow.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

It's good to set an example and a healthy pattern for your family. They'll thank you some day!

I was camping (in cabins - not tents) for the past 9 days with a huge group of friends. My DD was able to come from NC for part of the time. We were away from the gym so I figured I better walk. I mapped a course, drove it in the car to see how long it was (1.5 miles) and power walked the course every day. DD walked with me, but sometimes she ran a ways ahead and then back to me because I just don't run. It was great to do this with her. One of the other adult "kids" power walked with me a few times, too. It isn't my favorite form of exercise, but I was feeling very guilty about missing so many days at the gym.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

We were on vacation and I tried to get my kids to walk with me but all they wanted to do was sleep in - so I went without them... I got up early and jogged along the beach and it was amazing. You have to tell me how you got yours to go!
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #12  

My kids will do almost anything the first time without complaining because they don't know exactly what they're getting into. Once they were there it was awful (mostly my 2 younger ones). There is a large hill/mountain around here that people like to hike to the top of. I think I'm going to try that next time. They just need some cool reward at the end (a waterfall, looking over a city, etc).