Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/176/150

Height: 5'2"

Question How did you all get started?

So I'm a younger person who has been struggling with my weight and the weight doesn't help my self esteem... I've tried many approaches to my weight loss but none have really worked... So I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how they got started and kept going... I can do alright with getting started but once I start I can't follow through... Any help would be nice
Thank you so much..:?
cRaZyKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Your problem isn't really starting, then.

It's sticking to changes once you make them... and... if you make a mistake, it's getting back up the very next moment and continuing to make better choices instead of quitting entirely.

Are you putting too much pressure on yourself to be "perfect" at this? Are you trying to change too much at once?

If you're after permanent weight loss, you have to make a permanent change. So. What are you willing to do?

Are you willing to start exercising? And, if you skip a day are you willing to get up the next day and get right back to it?

Are you willing to use more fruits and vegetables as snacks and parts of your meals? And, if you choose to eat something unhealthy are you willing to dust yourself off and go back to choosing healthier foods at the very next meal time?

You don't have to force yourself to do everything all at once -and- perfectly. As long as you commit to doing something you are willing to do, and if you do slip up... getting right back to it.

Build up over time if it makes all the changes seem less arduous. Or make new goals each week.

It's all about always continuing forward.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have never been significantly overweight, but have always wanted to lose about 10-15 lbs to be a healthier size. I have never been able to until recently.

The reason it has "worked" this time is because I now understand what weight loss is about: eating fewer calories than my body uses every day. Nothing more. "Diets"- anything with a brand, a slogan, a celebrity endorser, are just vehicles towards eating less than your body needs each day.

So, I now know what a serving size looks like, what a calorie is, and how many I need each day to lose, maintain, and gain weight. Knowing that that's all I need to know has made all the difference

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #4  

Lovely said it perfectly!
For me it was about letting or of the all or nothing mentality.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Well, I've always been a calorie counter when I dieted. This time, I started out at 1,200 calories a day and would record everything I ate in a day planner. It didn't take long to figure out, wow, I was eating A LOT more than I thought I was!

I knew I couldn't completely transform my diet overnight. That's where I've failed most often in the past - thinking I could be a different person to lose weight. I like some junk foods on top of the healthy foods I eat. I still eat those. I just limit my portion sizes and work them into my calories for the day. (For some, this is harder than others because "trigger foods" lead them to binging. I stay away from foods that I could gorge on - like chili cheese flavored Fritos.) I also set small goals in the beginning - eat this many calories, drink this many ounces of water, eat 1 extra piece of fruit, etc.

It helps me to think of my lifestyle change like I think of my personal finances. I record my expenses daily. I have to have more money coming in than going out to avoid overdraft fees. (This is just the opposite for weight loss. Fewer calories coming in than going out leads to weight loss.)

Like Lovely and Glamour said, don't think of your changes as all-or-nothing. You will mess up. We all do. That doesn't mean you give up. It means you commit to doing better for your next meal. Set realistic goals. (.5-2 pounds per week is considered good, especially for someone who is not obese.) Commit to the changes you'll be making for life.

Don't think of them as those boring, tedious things you're only doing to lose weight. Exercise for your heart, for your future health, and keep at it because fitness will keep you alive longer and able to do the things you love longer. Eat healthier and eat smaller portions because it makes you feel better and will also better your health for the long haul.

I used to loathe going to the gym every day. It was the worst part of the day. I couldn't even stay on the cardio machines for 30 minutes my first week because I was so out of shape, and I hated feeling like the big girl at the gym surrounded by women with beautiful bodies. Now? Now I freaking love it. It's a game to see how much I can push myself day after day. And the best part is that I'm getting stronger, and my body is actually meeting these challenges. I have so much energy every day because of my exercise. I could go on and on about exercise. It's awesome. (Quote I read once on the boards - "Diet to look good in clothes. Exercise to look good naked.")

Point is - find something sustainable for YOU and your life. Set small goals related to your big goal and reward yourself (preferably not with food) when you meet them. One of my goals has been to get back into the gym habit, so my goal was to go to the gym 6 days a week in August. If I meet that goal, I get a pair of Gap jeans in the size I've been working toward.

Also - come to the boards when you're slipping and/or need support. The people here are understanding, but they'll give you the tough love needed to get you back on track. Good luck, dear!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I personally reached my all time high and felt disgusting.

Then I started running (c25k) and cleaned up my diet a little. I didn't lose anything for the first 3 weeks but my running was improving. I then joined a 12 week challenge on here and that helped me get over the hump. I then picked up momentum.

Since your a younger person why don't you join the 12 week challenge that just started in the 20 somethings forum. The support and accountability will help you stay on track. I understand you need to do what works for you and am not trying to pimp put my challenge. Just thought I'd extend an invitation.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...come-join.html

Last edited by Scarlett; 08-29-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I just recently read a thread where the person just made one little change each week. One week she would take less lunch to work, but add a piece of fruit. Instead of buying regular salad dressing, she bought low calorie.

Make changes a little at a time so it's easier to stick with them.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #8  

Scarlett, I see you are in NJ? Do you run regularly? I'm always looking for a running buddy!
Sorry, not trying to derail the topic.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

GlamourGirl827 - I just sent you a PM
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Sticking with it has always been my problem. If I don't see improvement, I backslide and binge.

This time I'm using Bodybugg. It's helping me because not only can I use it to keep track of how much i eat, I can see the calories I'm burning too. Because my body is releasing weight, I'm motivated to keep going.

It's motivated me to exercise, as well. It's like a challenge to increase my steps or increase my calorie deficit.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #11  

Wow thank you all for your help and advice. I'll defiantly look into the 12 week challenge. And I think I will keep coming here. Support is a main thing I miss here in my home because my grandma no matter what size I am I'm always to big for her and my sister puts me down so this place seems to be the right place for me to get the support and advice.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZyKristen View Post
So I'm a younger person who has been struggling with my weight and the weight doesn't help my self esteem... I've tried many approaches to my weight loss but none have really worked... So I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how they got started and kept going... I can do alright with getting started but once I start I can't follow through... Any help would be nice
Thank you so much..:?
cRaZyKristen You can do this!!

You might want to ask yourself on a daily basis. "Do you want to be an older person struggling with your weight?? As a 67 year old I can assure you that it is easier to be active and lose before arthritis and heart disease set up house keeping in your body.

Take a sheet of paper and make two columns. Label one the "Benefits and reasons to lose weight" label the other "Benefits and reasons to stay fat"

Then list everything you can think of. for example the first column might have an entry that says "better health and improved self esteem" The second column might have an entry that says "I get to eat everything i want"

Then after you have put down everything you can think of post the list on your refrigerator, better yet make copies and put them everywhere in your house so that when you find it difficult to stay the course you will be reminded why it is worth persevering.

Just my 2 cents

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

I got started when I number of things accumulated.

- I remember feeling like a person inside of a fat suit. My general body mass moved independent of my skeleton. I could push my stomach fat over to one side while still laying on my back. I also began to realize, that I used my belly as a kind of kick-stand when I slept on my side to support me from falling forward.

- I had to maneuver abnormally to clean myself after using the toilet. When I was in nursing school, I worked as a CNA on a unit that did bariatric surgery. I remember being in awe when patients would have rulers or yard sticks that they would tie a sponge to in order to reach their private areas and now I was having to move in odd manners to try to reach myself as well... this startled me.

- My bf began paying attention to my food binges, noticing when I would eat 2 or 3 entire family meals at a time while he was asleep and he would tell me that he knew... I was horrified.

- I noticed I couldn't cross my legs. When I sat down on the couch, my thighs where so wide that my hips were spread far. I was getting rashes and cracks in my skin around my belly folds and where my thighs met my groins. My chin rested on my double chins. I saw that when I stood up or sat down too quickly, there was a loud slapping sound from my belly hitting my legs.

- The big kicker was when I was brushing my teeth and I noticed that my belly not only pressed onto the sink, but flopped onto the countertop by a significant margin... So I pulled out a camera and took some photographs of myself naked. I couldn't believe what I saw... I had rolls over rolls of fat. I was mostly square shapes with no discernible waist. My buttocks were massively wife but flat and I was riddled with lumps of cellulite. I couldn't believe it.

.... And that night, I went to the gym. I tried to get on the elliptical but couldn't do 5 minutes before feeling like I was about to have a heart attack. So I sat down on the bike. I was embarrassed because every time my legs would come up and down, my thigh would push my belly up and it would push in on me, forcing air out of my lungs. I had such a hard time. But when I left the gym, I felt GOOD. I feel rejuvenated.

So the next day, I went back to the gym - and so on. It took me a very long time to get into any sort of decent shape and I wouldn't go to the gym except for extreme off peak hours at all. But I did keep going. I wore ankle weights at home sometimes, and I tried to do sit ups.

It took a few months before I was able to start calorie counting and working on my diet.

... I did fail, over and over again. I'd fall of the wagon for a month or three - and I would regain 5 pounds here and there. Then I would have to re-group and get back on a schedule at the gym. I still have a terrible time with my diet and its a constant struggle. I also find that once I see major results, I tend so "celebrate" by eating some cheesecake or whatever... for DAYS on end. Not good.

Weight loss is, unfortunately, not easy. If this were an easy thing to do, we wouldn't have obesity like we do. I just don't let myself forget my ultimate goal and everyday, I step on the scale... I've learned that its the days that I don't get on the scale that I am more lax about working out or eating better. So even if I messed up my diet the day before and I'm expecting to see a water weight gain from the sodium or whatever - so do it anyway, record it honestly and get back to the gym.

I look at the scale and I don't think about it ever showing a weight in the 130s - I think about it showing a weight 1 pound less than whatever I am that day, and I work towards that *1* pound.

I wish I had some magical advice for you. Just keep working for 1 pound a time, remember all the reasons why you started on this journey in the first place and even if you mess up, keep at it. Never let one bad meal ruin the whole day and you'll get there.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

I lost my first 5 pounds because I got extremely sick (I had a septic choc) and went to the hospital during 4 days. 1- I was sick and 2- Rotten food probably taste better than hospital food So I definetly didnt ate a lot.

It's not gonna help you, but that's my story haha. 5 pounds lighter felt so good I just wanted to go on. I tried to lose weight before that and always got discouraged before losing any pounds.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaTurnHeads View Post
I got started when I number of things accumulated.

- I remember feeling like a person inside of a fat suit. My general body mass moved independent of my skeleton. I could push my stomach fat over to one side while still laying on my back. I also began to realize, that I used my belly as a kind of kick-stand when I slept on my side to support me from falling forward.

- I had to maneuver abnormally to clean myself after using the toilet. When I was in nursing school, I worked as a CNA on a unit that did bariatric surgery. I remember being in awe when patients would have rulers or yard sticks that they would tie a sponge to in order to reach their private areas and now I was having to move in odd manners to try to reach myself as well... this startled me.

- My bf began paying attention to my food binges, noticing when I would eat 2 or 3 entire family meals at a time while he was asleep and he would tell me that he knew... I was horrified.

- I noticed I couldn't cross my legs. When I sat down on the couch, my thighs where so wide that my hips were spread far. I was getting rashes and cracks in my skin around my belly folds and where my thighs met my groins. My chin rested on my double chins. I saw that when I stood up or sat down too quickly, there was a loud slapping sound from my belly hitting my legs.

- The big kicker was when I was brushing my teeth and I noticed that my belly not only pressed onto the sink, but flopped onto the countertop by a significant margin... So I pulled out a camera and took some photographs of myself naked. I couldn't believe what I saw... I had rolls over rolls of fat. I was mostly square shapes with no discernible waist. My buttocks were massively wife but flat and I was riddled with lumps of cellulite. I couldn't believe it.

.... And that night, I went to the gym. I tried to get on the elliptical but couldn't do 5 minutes before feeling like I was about to have a heart attack. So I sat down on the bike. I was embarrassed because every time my legs would come up and down, my thigh would push my belly up and it would push in on me, forcing air out of my lungs. I had such a hard time. But when I left the gym, I felt GOOD. I feel rejuvenated.

So the next day, I went back to the gym - and so on. It took me a very long time to get into any sort of decent shape and I wouldn't go to the gym except for extreme off peak hours at all. But I did keep going. I wore ankle weights at home sometimes, and I tried to do sit ups.

It took a few months before I was able to start calorie counting and working on my diet.

... I did fail, over and over again. I'd fall of the wagon for a month or three - and I would regain 5 pounds here and there. Then I would have to re-group and get back on a schedule at the gym. I still have a terrible time with my diet and its a constant struggle. I also find that once I see major results, I tend so "celebrate" by eating some cheesecake or whatever... for DAYS on end. Not good.

Weight loss is, unfortunately, not easy. If this were an easy thing to do, we wouldn't have obesity like we do. I just don't let myself forget my ultimate goal and everyday, I step on the scale... I've learned that its the days that I don't get on the scale that I am more lax about working out or eating better. So even if I messed up my diet the day before and I'm expecting to see a water weight gain from the sodium or whatever - so do it anyway, record it honestly and get back to the gym.

I look at the scale and I don't think about it ever showing a weight in the 130s - I think about it showing a weight 1 pound less than whatever I am that day, and I work towards that *1* pound.

I wish I had some magical advice for you. Just keep working for 1 pound a time, remember all the reasons why you started on this journey in the first place and even if you mess up, keep at it. Never let one bad meal ruin the whole day and you'll get there.

Thank you for the support... It's really hard being the younger out of my sister and I and I have a grandma who struggled with weight she was big.. and now after three surgeries and boxes of pills she is to skinny, and I'm to fat in her eyes and its been really hard, because she puts me down and never supports...So thank you for the encouragement.