Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #1  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Another battle with the monkey

So, yesterday was a 5 star day for me. I hit a 40 lb loss on the scale, I got to move into the 230's, and I ran a 2 mile race for Special Olympics.

I was so proud of the race. My goal was to not finish last. Not only did I not finish last, but I was AVERAGE! Right in the middle of the pack. The results will printed in the local paper next week. I can't wait to get it. I am going to hang in on the fridge. My name in the paper for being healthy.

So, of course, the monkey, today, is telling me it is ok to take off a day or two and eat some junk food. I put my drivers license in my purse and did not bring a dime to work with me. I have to get through today and tomorrow without porking out as a reward for doing so well.

I am sure I can do it. How about you all, when does the self sabotage start to dwindle. Will this be a battle for me forever? Does it get easier?

I do know I am getting stronger. If anyone is selling steel traps, I would sure appreciate one.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You DO deserve a reward! You've done amazing! But I think the way to help yourself not to immediately think of food when you think of a reward is to start giving yourself non-food rewards when you do something good. A lot of our parents gave us food as rewards, and while they did it for the right reasons, it's up to us to get rid of that training.

So spend some time fantasizing about what non-food rewards you can give yourself, then pick one! Want a manicure? A new hair cut? A new pair of jeans? Be creative.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

What Kelly said! A reward is definitely in order, you've had some awesome successes! It doesn't immediately follow, however, that said rewards should be food. I love getting pedicures and manicures for a reward. They make me feel pretty.

The monkey does get easier to throw off your back as time goes on, but at least for me, he's always there when I need him the least. It's learning to ignore that voice and do what you know is right rather than what feels the best at the moment (but always has poor consequences.) You can do it!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I agree with everyone so far. You DO deserve a reward. It's so hard to learn to not reward with food. Not only do I want to reward myself with food, but I also want to rewards others and show them love with food. I don't have that FOOD IS FUEL thing down yet, but I am trying!

What are some of your favorite things?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

How about a pedicure? A nice long bubble bath? A new haircut or colour?
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24

Height: 5'4

Good for you! What an accomplishment. I definitely think a more permanent, non-food reward/treat is in order. How about a new piece of jewelry? Stay strong!
karen Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #7  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

I was doing 10 lb rewards, but I don't really need anything right now.

I did talk the very supportive hubby into paying for weight loss. I am going to be paid $10 for every pound lost. Pretty excited to see how quick I can get this to add up. That will give me a nice slush fund for when I do want to get new clothes or need a hair update.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathi888 View Post
I was doing 10 lb rewards, but I don't really need anything right now.

I did talk the very supportive hubby into paying for weight loss. I am going to be paid $10 for every pound lost. Pretty excited to see how quick I can get this to add up. That will give me a nice slush fund for when I do want to get new clothes or need a hair update.
Sounds good to me! Have fun spending that money! Excuse me while I go and call my hubby at work.... We have a few things to talk about
karen Jane is offline   Reply With Quote