Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default how do I feel better about myself NOW???

Hi all,

It looks like people aren't going to keep responding to this group. I hope it's still "active"...I posted a "self esteem" question under "SUPPORT" and I wanted to throw it out here, too...

Basically, I'm wanting to know what I can do to help myself feel better about myself NOW. I find myself constantly comparing my weight loss speed to others AND, I am comparing my looks to others as well. I am getting very discouraged. How do you all stop from doing this?

I also mentioned in my other post under "SUPPORT" that I had hoped in the fall to "by spring" be able to fit in some smaller pants. Now when I try them on, it seems like I'll have to lost 20-25 more pounds before I'll be able to do that.

I just want to feel better about myself and stop comparing myself to others. Do any of you have this problem? Do any of you get down on yourself because of your looks?

thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #2  

Hottie - I'm so there with you. My WL has been so slow compared to others in the group. It takes a while before I can see it. I've lost 13 + pounds so far and my clothes are fitting better; not real loose as I had hoped. I feel I'll never make it to my 10%! I'm a slow loser. So when I'm down on myself, I go shoe shopping! LOL... I can always find some to fit!

Take care and Hang in there!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 AM   #3  

Nascar girl, hang in there! You're doing just fine, wow, 13 plus pounds! You're very close to your ten percent. My loss was very slow, too, but I think that gave me time to really make permanent changes in my habits. And that's what it's all about ... keeping it off for the long term. We're all rootin' for ya!
See you and Hottie on this week's thread, I hope!
Regards,
Jan
Old 06-24-2003, 11:27 PM   #4  
BirdBrain

My weight loss manifested itself in my fingers the past week, and my wedding ring flies off at the slightest provocation. Not good. I truly recommend the following... I had my best friend from a decade ago (who I visited in Florida last month) who slapped my face (verbally.) She was right. I felt ugly and had completely let myself go. She practically had a bon fire with some of my clothes. I was the one who moved to San Francisco to be a fashion designer and I truly wear the most hideous things lately. I would be embarrased but I'm to humiliated to even do that.) I had my hair streaked and professionally cut, I had my nails done, and I got decent shorts and a few decent tops. I feel 1000 times better. She bought me a few tops that just make me wince, but I can't tell you how many complements I've gotten on them. This did not all cost a fortune. Kim paid for my new 'do, I bought my new nails, and my few new things came from K-mart. They made all the difference. I had even stopped wearing makeup because it just didn't seemed like it mattered. But it DOES matter, very much. I actually feel "cute" these days. And I work with fire fighters, so fat is NOT "in". I won't even go to work parties because I'm just too embarrased to show up with my fat self.

Kelly
Old 06-29-2003, 11:01 AM   #5  

You go Kelly. That's exactly what you need to do. You need to be important to you! Heck, that's the most important person anyway, right? Doesn't have to be expensive, take a few extra minutes to fix your hair, make up, paint your fingers, or even paint your toes! I've never been big on the toe painting, but there's someting kinda sexy about painted toes, even if you hide them in tennies, you know they are there!

I envy you having the guts to change your hair style. I'm a big hairy chicken!

Michelle
220.6 Highest ever, restarted WW 6-24-03 (WOW that was horribly hard to type)
Old 06-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #6  

Kelly, that's great, I'm so happy for you! Sounds like your friend really cares about you, to take such a risk to help you make those changes. And I agree, you deserve the time and effort it takes to spruce up your appearance; it makes such a difference in how we feel about ourselves, and that can only help us stay on program.

Michelle, WTG on restarting WW last week! Summer is a great time to start program, with all the great fresh veggies and fruits out there.

Re: summer clothes, I remember buying my first pair of shorts (in years) when I was about halfway to goal, several years ago. It felt so good to walk on the beach in cool, put-together summer clothes instead of baggy jeans and dark t-shirts!

Like Michelle says, it doesn't have to be expensive, so anyone out there working towards goal, be good to yourself and don't wait until goal to polish up your wardrobe, hair, makeup, etc.!
Closed Thread