Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #1  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Default weird body part fixation

This may very well be tmi, but I have this flap of skin that I have been fixated on for years. I have a large stomach and my belly hangs over, creating a sort of flap of skin above my hipbones that I can grab like a handle. I've been grabbing at it for years as a barometer for my weight.

My belly doesn't really hang now, but my stomach still protrudes and I still have flaps on my hips that I can hang on to. I have this thing in my head now that my weight loss will be truly real once I can no longer grab my flaps.

Is this totally bizarre? Can anyone relate to this sort of weird fixation on a body part as a measure of weight loss?

Last edited by martini; 08-31-2011 at 06:28 AM.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 231/187/128

Height: 5'3"

It's not weird at all. I measure my weight loss not only by the scale, but by how many fat rolls I have to hang on to and how many inches I can pinch. I have lost 37 pounds and I still have a belly (probably always will after 2 kids), but I feel better about my overall progress. No one, aside from perhaps surgically altered models, have perfect bodies.

If you're really concerned, you could try some target toning exercises for that area and that may help. However, you have made incredible gains in your weight loss journey so be proud and celebrate. I guarantee you look amazing!!!!!!!
mommyfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Those flaps may mostly be loose skin, in which case they probably will not go away completely. Not to be a downer--but it's just a fact of life. Takes a long time for stretched skin to rebound, and sometimes it stays stretched a bit.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #4  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

It's all about my thighs, I'm very bottom heavy and have set a low goal to hopefully see some results there. I have fat saddle bags right at the top and everyday I stand in front of the mirror and stare at them to see if they're getting any smaller.

I wish I felt affectionate for them, but I don't. I can't wait to see the back of them and have straighter thighs.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Oh my belly flap tortures me, and it's bigger on one side than the other! The right side has started to flatten out at the end a little which was such a great indicator of my weight loss. But the left side of the flap is still really big. I definitely fixate on it. I can't wait for it to go away!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

It's weird. My fixation are my thighs, they're my weight loss meters! If my thighs gap is elarging/narrowing, I know if I'm doing the right thing.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote