General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1  

Question Need to choose a new diet

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to start a new diet here soon. I've been on Weight Watchers for quite a while, and lost about 90lbs on it But I've moved to a new town where there is no meetings available, and I can't seem to find motivation anymore - I've gained 20lbs in the past couple months! (It's just not the same for me doing WW Online)

I want to try something new just to get my motivation back, and would like to have buddies on the same plan that I can keep up with on here, twitter or tumblr.

I'm considering Atkins, but after being on WW I'm not sure if I can handle the restrictions.

Maybe LA Weight Loss or 5 Factor Diet? I would like to find one that has extra program materials available too... If anyone has any ideas for me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
retroapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Would you consider calorie counting? It doesn't cost anything and you don't have to go to any meetings. Congrats on all of your weight loss! Moving to a new town can really throw things off so I can understand why you've had a tough time, but you can totally turn it around! Just take it one day at a time.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Did you like going for weigh-ins at WW? If so, maybe you could calorie count and weigh-in elsewhere like at a gym or with a nutritionist. That accountability of weighing in used to really help me.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have always liked the Michael Thurmond 6 week body makeover...portions aren't big but you get to eat up to 6 times a day and it's pretty basic...good luck to you!
minoja75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

It sounds like what you miss most is the accountability and the meetings.

You might still be able to follow WW while going to a TOPS meeting (tops.org if you want information), or by finding a nutritionist or gym (as mentioned) to stay on top of that personal touch.

Calorie Counting might also be an option for you.

I see you're new to 3FC (welcome!). You might want to consider looking around and finding Online support here by joining an area or several areas. We all like to keep each other on plan and encouraged.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your advice! I looked into all the things that were mentioned. I have decided to try calorie counting using DailyBurn. They have an app for my phone where I can scan the barcodes on foods and it will add the nutrition info to my tracker I'm going try and find a dietitian that I can do weigh-ins with as well. It's hard moving from a city to a small, small town. I'm missing all the options I used to have.

Thanks again everyone!
retroapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would also highly recommend TOPS. You can find the closest meeting at tops.org as Lovely already mentioned, and if there are no local chapters you can start one if you can find at least three other people interested (you only need four members to start a chapter).

For me, the accountability and in-person support is the most crucial to success. I've changed my food plan at least a half dozen times just during this weight loss journey over the last 94 lbs lost. I may continue to tweak or alternate my food plans at least a few more times before goal and maybe on maintenance as well.

I do love the TOPS atmosphere, and the monthly contests really keep me motivated. I especially like our chapter's reward system for weight loss of free monthly dues. Because I lost weight in August, I won't have to pay monthly dues ($5) for October. Our group always has several contests going, so there are several ways to earn cash and prizes for weight loss (you can't get rich, but if you're reasonably dilligent, you can earn back all or most of the money you put in).

The yearly national dues are $26 per year (which will go up to $28 per year in January), and the monthly dues vary from chapter to chapter (our chapter dues are $5 per month, but you earn paper "tops" for weight loss that can be used as coupons to offset the monthly dues, and you can also earn free monthly dues with weight loss.

Our chapter runs more contests than most, but we also earned a state-wide recognition award for per member average weight loss or fewest weeks with a net gain (weigh-ins where the total amount of weight gained by all members outnumbered the total amount of weight lost - which is most common after holiday weekends.).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote