Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #1  
missaprylj

Lightbulb Sum It Up: 3 Steps

We're constantly bombarded with weight loss "tips" from all forms of media. So, which tips do you hold on to and which do you throw out the window... If you were to sum up your personal idea of the best way to go about losing weight, in three steps, or tips, what would they be?
After we're done I think I'll compile the "best" ones -the ones that are said the most or most often agreed with- and maybe we can get a sticky made out of them or something? Just a thought.

1) It's not all about the food. To lose weight, you need to exercise. Period.

2) Love yourself now or you're not going to love yourself any more after you've lost the weight.

3) The slower the weight comes off, the better. Don't be discouraged by "1 lb." losses.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sorry Apryl, I have to disagree with you on the first one. It IS about food. If you finish each yoga session with a cheesecake, you're not going to lose any weight. Being a very active exerciser my entire life AND still being 100 pounds overweight, I feel pretty strongly that it's balancing your food and your exercise.

To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you are taking in. Simple math.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #3  
Student of the Hoof

I got the impression Apryl meant it wasn't ALL about the food. i.e. you can eat less and lose weight, but you need to exercise regularly to be healthy and get in shape.

And in that case, I agree completely.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

1. You can't do this w/o exercise. No way around it.

2. Taking baby steps is the best way for good, healthy habits to stick.

3. If you dont have a treat every now & then, you're going to go berserk. If you want something, have a taste. (case in point: Don't eat sugarfree Jello as a replacement for a small brownie, only to go eat the entire pan of brownies later b/c you couldn't take it anymore.)
Old 06-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #5  

1. Eat less, move more

2. Water, water, and more water.

3. Everybody is different, you have to find what works for YOU.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

1. Find an eating and exercise plan that you can live with for the long term.

2. Do strength training as well as cardiovascular workouts. Muscle burns more calories and increases your metabolism.

3. Set realistic goals and be honest with yourself.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

http://fitness.msn.com/articles/feed...061803_sixlies

Here is a good link.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 PM   #8  
Catwoman

1. exersise - It's so important

2. Ease into a diet don't try and do it all at once but add a step every week so that way you get and stay on plan.

3. A little of what you fancy and I mean a little! Freind bought cakes over I had a nibble of one and handed it back to my hubbie. I got a taste and didn't offend without getting all the cals.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

1. food and eating are very complex issues, very emotional, full of symbolism and tradition. on the other hand, it's JUST FUEL! so, i agree that it's not just about the food. it's also about feeding our emotions, taking care of ourselves, figuring out why we're doing what we should, or not doing what we should. my first point, then, is separating food and emotion.

2. cardio plus weight training

3. water water water
Closed Thread